Where do you find the money for a hair transplant?

mothernature

Established Member
Reaction score
How did everyone get enough money to do a hair transplant procedure? Is everyone rich?

What about students? What options do we have? Has anyone ever taken out a personal loan or credit card etc for a hair transplant??

Basically when it comes to financing a hair transplant what are the options if one is not rich and not willing to save money for 5 years?

I'm in the UK, and a full time student, what options do i have?

Any help would be appreciated

GeminiX

Reaction score
Personally I try to plan ahead (no pun intended) and start saving for larger purchases as soon as possible.

With any purchase that you need to save for, make a savings plan and work out how much you need to set aside each month in order to make the purchase.

s.a.f

Reaction score
Thats basicly it, if you want something bad enough you'll make sacrifices and get it. Not many students get cosmetic surgery but if you want it you'll have to start saving/working more.
With me a lack of social life was a great help in getting the money.

LooseItAll

Established Member
Reaction score
Lack of social life is indeed a great money saver + living with parents for some time. I saved up money withing less than a year and the salary here in Poland compared is really pathethic since we do not earn in euro but in our own currency which equals 1/4 euro...

I believe that living in an euro currency country or USA would really boost things up and you could save up money that way during 6 months time.

mothernature

Established Member
Reaction score
dudemon said:
Get yourself a high paying job which is hard to do as a full-time student. Or borrow the money which ever way costs you the least in interest and make payments. Most hair transplant clinics also offer financing - not saying this is the best choice, but at least you know the option is there.

A word of advice:
Get all your hair transplant's done and out of the way before you enter the (serious) work world. The worst thing you could do when starting a new career would be to quit a few months after getting hired to have an hair transplant done. You will need several WEEKS afterwards to recover from the hair transplant, and no emplyer is going to give you that much time off as a new hire. After you get your first hair transplant done - you may need another to get enough density. Otherwise, you could wind up in a situation similar to me - needing another hair transplant (because of low density) and not being able to get enough time off from work ... without quitting. At the same time, I don't have a job and I just graduated too. This is, indeed, a bad situation you would want to avoid if at all possible.

So, a little planning in advance on your part will go a long way.

very good advice thank you, any idea on how i can apply for a loan as a student? My only income is about £350 from my parents as a monthly allowance for food etc. so will the banks accept that? What about credit cards? Is it possible to get one with a limit of £5k?

The hair transplant clinics ive seen in americca so far dont offer financing to foreign customers i think.

GeminiX

Reaction score
I personally advise against finance, especially as a student. The only finance you're likely to get as a student against a purchase with no asset will have a awfully high APR and you'll be paying the interest for years.

Just put money aside each month and save.

I'm sure it's not what you want to hear, but cosmetic surgery is not like buying a new telly on the interest free. It's a commitment which you need to plan for, this includes working out how you're going to pay for it :)

I've had several procedures now and paid "cash" each time. It hasn't always been easy, but with some planning and regular saving it's very doable.

Jacob

Reaction score
finfighter said:
Jacob said:
I'd rather spend such money on something like this: http://www.flynano.com/

:woot: :punk: That thing is sick! What is that ?????

You have to scroll down and click around to get any info..the page isn't that great. Some videos of it are supposed to be out soon. It's basically a one-person carbon fiber composite plane...there's an electric version as well. Supposedly you don't need a license to fly it either. More info:

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/TECH/innovation/04/22/flynano.aircraft.take.off/index.html/

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2011-04/18/flynano-fun-flyer

ajax

Established Member
Reaction score
How old are you?

Have you tried meds? What were the results?

At what stage is your hairloss?

BlahBlah12

Established Member
Reaction score
so financing is an option? i have a good job that pays crap... but i manage a social life, an apartment in nyc, and got approved for a credit card known for its stringent standards a few months back which i use all the time and pay in full always on time.

now, i also have 50k in student loans lol. but ill gladly tack on another 10k to that debt if it means i dont have to think about how much i hate my life for the 16 hours that im awake.

saving isnt an option with my job. i dont make enough to save. and im at the point where i cant wait any longer. ive been waiting since i was 22..im 30 now, and only recently has the hairline receded which makes me a pretty good candidate i think. i just started propecia 2 weeks ago, but almost with the hope that i can now finally go for it and fix my hairline. im so insecure lately that its hard for me to wait 6 months to see if propecia works on its own. every day my soul dies a bit more. :sobbing:

GeminiX

Reaction score
Well it's up to you, but if you can afford additional finance repayments then you can afford to save :)
(and if you put the money into a saving account you have the money in far less time that it would take to pay off more debt)

BlahBlah12

Established Member
Reaction score
GeminiX said:
Well it's up to you, but if you can afford additional finance repayments then you can afford to save :)
(and if you put the money into a saving account you have the money in far less time that it would take to pay off more debt)
well i can afford to save, but time is not a luxury.i cant see myself patiently waiting for a life back for another 2 years

GeminiX

Reaction score
BlahBlah12 said:
GeminiX said:
well i can afford to save, but time is not a luxury.i cant see myself patiently waiting for a life back for another 2 years

Don't forget that even if you had a hair transplant this afternoon you're looking at least 12 to 18 months to really see regrowth; every surgical procedure has a waiting time. Also, unless you're planning on getting a very expensive mega-session then chances are you'll need two or more procedures. Realistically you're looking at a few years no matter what.

Please don't rush into this and set your expectations too high, you'll only end up being disappointed.

edit - Just to be clear, I'm not trying to put you off getting a hair transplant, with the right surgeon you can have *amazing* results; I'm just pointing out that it's not an instant fix and you need to have realistic expectations.