Where do I find a good Doctor?

shajipl

Reaction score
:D Thank u for yr suggestion.I appreciate...Who would be the best surgeon in the US who could do a descent hair transplant and the approximate cost?

halcyon

Reaction score
There is a different forum for hair transplants, although I don't think its very active. You'll find that most people here talk about prescriptions and topicals. I don't know if thats because were young and our hairloss isnt all that bad yet, or because we all seem to be fairly new to this hairloss stuff, so considering surgery would be a pretty radical choice. If I understand correctly, people just starting to experience hairloss (less than a few years) probably are more interested in preserving what they have and maybe even growing a little back, but not looking to put on a large amount of hair, such as through a surgical procedure.

My brother went with a hairpiece/surgical type procedure and was not very happy with the results. It didn't look too bad, but there was just something about it that didnt look right (and it wasn't because he told me - I figured it out, and his hairloss wasnt that bad to begin with so its not like there was a radical difference that would have caused me to notice). The entire fiasco ended up costing him about $3000 total. I certainly can't cough that up.

Maybe a little more info about you can help us give you recommendations. How old are you? How long have you been experiencing hairloss? What are you on the norwood scale?

shajipl

Reaction score
Iam 30 years old.I have almost lost all hairs in the front and crown area.I am thinking to get hair transplant from Dr.Shapiro.Do you know anything abt him?

Nelson

Reaction score
Doctors

Whereabouts do you live? Would you be willing to travel anywhere in the states?

I spent $6 per graft (which seems to be the industry standard) plus $100 blood work fee & $300 for Graftcyte post-op care kit (a must).

So for 900 grafts @ $6 cost me $5800 out the door. My doctor ended up doing an additional 320 grafts at no extra charge. He has a reputation for doing that and he is an excellent surgeon.

I went to MHR in Detroit (Troy), Dr. Steven Holt, just 10 days ago and am very pleased thus far. :lol:

G

I would wholeheartdely recommend Dr. Rober DeYarman, of La Jolla, CA> top notch surgeon with tons of experience.

Brucelee

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
Ok just to preface this accordingly: I could be completely talking out of my (_)_) here, but my understanding is that Dr. Limmer in Texas is ... well we all know he is the founder of the FUT, however, I was speaking with his secretary the other day, Jessica, and she mentioned that they charge exponentially less than most doctors. The comment was made that an average procedure runs between $3,000 and 5,000 .... versus the normal $10-15,000 ...

Check my sources before you believe me though. Their site is http://www.micro-transplants.com. If the price is correct, you'd be getting the best possible procedure from the most experienced in the industry, for half the price.

HairLossTalk.com

G

I was charged $3200 for 800 grafts. The average hair per graft is 2.3. so I got about 1800 hairs.

Brucelee

hairlimmer

Reaction score
Dr. Limmer/ San Antonio, TX

This is Jessica, hair transplant Coordinater for Drs. Brad and B.L. Limmer in SA, TX. HairLossTalk.com is correct in reference to our pricing. We charge just under $3.00 per follicular unit graft. You can email me from our website, which HairLossTalk.com has posted, and I would be more than happy to respond to any question(s) you may have.

Thanks,
Jessica L. :lol:

ts808

Reaction score
kaya,
I just responded to you on another thread. I have no expirience with NHI in Jersey. Is that Dr. Bernstein? Or is he in New York? I can tell you this, I had work done with NHI in LA in '95 & '96 to camoflauge some bad work from Bosley. They work was pretty good for the time, but they took the donor strip too low, which resulted in my scar stretching a bit. My opinion is that there are people doing much better work these days such as Hasson & Wong, Cole, Rose, or Shapiro. Whatever you do, meet some patients in person before you proceed with anyone. I will not be returning to NHI.

Kebabman

Reaction score
I've had 3 transplants totally 4750 grafts from Dr Rose in Tampa, Florida and have nothing but praise for the man. He's certainly in the top 3 in the world, never read a bad report about him. Dr Shapiro is also excellent.

Choose carefully, I made the mistake of going to a doctor in England who turned out to only be a general practitioner who was in the national news for botching up liposuction operations on women and was struck off the register. He totally bollocksed up my transplants leaving me with limited donor hair now.

Good luck.