Where Are The 5 Alpha Reductase Enzymes Located?

BaldingHelpMe

Established Member
Reaction score
Where are the 5 alpha reductase enzymes located? Are they floating in our blood stream? Or are they located right at the Androgen Receptor sites?

If you have read my other thread about my aloe vera gel + dutasteride topical experiment, after the third treatment applying dutasteride topically, the few pimples and acne are gone! Even taking 2 caps of dutasteride orally couldn't get rid of them. The acnes and pimples were significantly reduced when I take dutasteride orally, but I've always got a pimple here or there. It's all gone now!

Agustin Araujo

My Regimen
Reaction score
There are three types of the 5 alpha reductase reductase enzyme. Type II, which is what plays the major role in balding, is primarily expressed in the prostate, seminal vesicles, testicles, and hair follicles. Type I for example is found in the brain, skin, and sebaceous glands. Generally those enzymes are everywhere but those are some of the locations where they're dominantly found.

Dihydro-testosterone can cause acne. With the hormone suppressed through the 5-AR inhibitors, there's much less expression of your acne. :)

Jim lahey

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
There are three types of the 5 alpha reductase reductase enzyme. Type II, which is what plays the major role in balding, is primarily expressed in the prostate, seminal vesicles, testicles, and hair follicles. Type I for example is found in the brain, skin, and sebaceous glands. Generally those enzymes are everywhere but those are some of the locations where they're dominantly found.

Dihydro-testosterone can cause acne. With the hormone suppressed through the 5-AR inhibitors, there's much less expression of your acne. :)
dutasteride inhibits type 1 probably why I got such bad mental side effects

Jim lahey

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Severe anxiety/panic attacks but like really bad. And just overall felt like sh*t.

BaldingHelpMe

Established Member
Reaction score
There are three types of the 5 alpha reductase reductase enzyme.

Yes I know the different types of 5AR, my surprise discovery seems more to do with the location of the enzymes. My pimples on the scalps are cleared by just three treatments of topical, whereas I've been taking dutasteride orally for the past year and still once in a while there are pimples on my scalp.

Maybe there are more type-1 5AR on the scalp and skin than there are inside our bloodstream?