Where Am I On The Norwood Scale? Is It Too Bad For A 23 Year Old?

mrx

My Regimen
Reaction score
20191105_234520.jpg 20191105_234532.jpg 20191105_234715.jpg 20191105_235028.jpg

[EDIT] So After being on Minoxidil for nearly three months and finasteride for 2 months, these are my results. Can anyone tell me if there was some improvement or not? I can't really say as the lightings are quite different and so does the size of my hair.
20200124_203140.jpg 20200124_203150.jpg 20200124_203213.jpg

Last edited:

Michael1986

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You're approaching Norwood 4. Time to get on finasteride or preferably dutasteride as soon as possible, if you're not on it already.

mrx

My Regimen
Reaction score
You're approaching Norwood 4. Time to get on finasteride or preferably dutasteride as soon as possible, if you're not on it already.
My doctor prescribed me 10% minoxidil along with some vitamins tablets. Those pictures were taken just after I applied minoxidil, made my hair really sticky.

Michael1986

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
My doctor prescribed me 10% minoxidil along with some vitamins tablets. Those pictures were taken just after I applied minoxidil, made my hair really sticky.
Your hair loss is advanced. Minoxidil and vitamins are not going to be enough unfortunately. You will need to use finasteride if you wish to treat your hair loss properly. Dutasteride would be an even better choice in your case. I recommend you look into getting a prescription for either finasteride or dutasteride.

mrx

My Regimen
Reaction score
Your hair loss is advanced. Minoxidil and vitamins are not going to be enough unfortunately. You will need to use finasteride if you wish to treat your hair loss properly. Dutasteride would be an even better choice in your case. I recommend you look into getting a prescription for either finasteride or dutasteride.
Is it enough to maintain whatever I have left, and get some density probably? For 3-4 years I want to maintain this before getting a transplant.

OldnBald

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Go to a derm, get on finasteride. Take minoxidil as well. Start yesterday. Is it bad for 23? It's bad for 33. Don't .f***. around.

Who Farted

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
That is an alarming amount of loss for 23. I’m sorry you have been hit so hard so young. With this amount of loss, you need to stop your recession as soon as possible.

minoxidil won’t do a damn thing at this point unless you are on an anti androgen. minoxidil doesn’t stop progression of the balding process. Your hair might look marginally better, but you will continue to lose ground. If you’re not a responder or you don’t use it twice a day, it could easily accelerate the balding process and leave you looking far worse than when you started.

The best course of action here is to use dutasteride/finasteride until your recession is stabilized, then use minoxidil to improve its quality.

karatekid

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Im really curious as to why you ask if its bad for 23, cant you look around you and tell? You dont have friends at your age?

Michael1986

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Is it enough to maintain whatever I have left, and get some density probably? For 3-4 years I want to maintain this before getting a transplant.
No, minoxidil will not be enough to maintain your hair. You will need to get on finasteride or preferably dutasteride if you intend to treat your hair loss properly. You would also need to continue using finasteride/dutasteride after the transplant too so that your transplant can last. The unfortunate reality is that anyone with male pattern baldness does need to use finasteride/dutasteride permanently in order to stop their hair from falling out. Hopefully a better and safer alternative to finasteride will eventually come out, but until then, finasteride/dutasteride is all we have that has been proven to work well.

Scoobysnack

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
while you're at it, study hard and try to land in a high paying career. Start saving for a FUT transplant. Until then follow everyone's advice above me. Finasteride specifically. Read some of the threads in here about scalp massages.