When to start Oral Minoxidil after Hair Transplant?

georgman

My Regimen
Reaction score
So I had my hair transplant this Thursday and Friday with Dr. Ferreira in Portugal.
I told him I want to start OM 0.625mg right after the second day of surgery and increase the dose up to 2.5mg in 0.625mg steps each month.

He then asked me to wait for a whole month, because he doesn't want the OM to interfere with my hair-cycle and wanted the transplanted hair to at least start shedding first before I start OM.

If he said, he wanted me to wait a week so the hair follicles could anchor without any external influences, this would make sense to me. But wait for a whole month because of the hair cycle? I thought the earlier the better to boost growth and also prevent (permanent) shock-loss of the native hair.

Since I don't apply anything topical, I personally, don't see any reason why not to start immediately with OM except for them to anchor without disturbance.

What do you guys think about this?

Pephair

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Had my hair transplant 3 months ago with Dr. Pekiner, he told me I can take oral minoxidil the day after surgery. If it was topical, to wait a month.
Personally, I think you should take it now.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Had my hair transplant 3 months ago with Dr. Pekiner, he told me I can take oral minoxidil the day after surgery. If it was topical, to wait a month.
Personally, I think you should take it now.
How many grafts did you get? Are you happy with how they did the procedure?

Pephair

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
How many grafts did you get? Are you happy with how they did the procedure?
My hair transplant:
https://www.hairestorationetwork.com/topic/60675-2167-grafts-1947-fue-220-bht-prp-dr-pekiner-72821/

georgman

My Regimen
Reaction score
I took it a week later. But in retroperspective I should have taken it immeditaley. Doesn't make any sense to wait...
Personally, I think you should take it now