when to get the hair piece

dude11

Reaction score
hi.

i got to a point where i cant fix my hair to look ormal before leave the house.
i understand im gonna need to get a hair piece soon.
do i have to cut whats left off in order for the piece to sit normal?
im trying to avoid that.
my hairline looks worst and worst as days goes by.
is there a way to put a piece on without cutting the hair first?
is there anything else ishould try to fix my hair better before?
i have been using topik which has been somewhat helpfull most times.
would appreciate any information.
ty

shakyjake

Reaction score
I'm interested in an answer to this too.

I have diffuse thinning on top and crown is still fairly thick (so no bald spot). Are these hair pieces cut specifically to fill in the thinning section? Or does one have to shave a certain area off their scalp in order to have proper fitment?

andrei_eremenko

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I am in the same position as you all...but I am sure that to achieve the best undetectability you need to shave the area...

redunculous

Reaction score
Heres a few I can think of

Cost can be a factor for a lot of people.

Perhaps you aren't suitable for a transplant?

You may not be able to get the density you want with a transplant

Some people just can't bring themselves to have a transplant - so many possibilities of things failing or going wrong in your already frail mind can leave you on the fence.

MrBastard

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Have not one the math, but whouldent a hair transplant vs pieces end up on about the same in time? They are not exactly cheap if yo want a good non detectable one. Another factor in favour of piece is the no need for meds! If you do a hair transplant you will most likely keep on finasteride/topicals

redunculous

Reaction score
I was going to mention that price factor in my original answer :)

What I meant to say was that you can factor in a hairpiece or 2 as an annual bill just like your house bills (my take on it)

For an hair transplant you need to stump up a large amount of $$ in one go unless there is finance available? - in these times is surely going to prove difficult to obtain anyway?

If your hair transplant is 10000$ you have a lot of years of buying hairpieces before you get to that level which is easier to iron out over the years

Just my thoughts though

What we need is for the hair transplant surgeons to stop taking advantage so much and bring the prices down to a realistic level ;) It may stop them buying the latest porsche but hey they would at least be living honestly!

andrei_eremenko

Experienced Member
Reaction score
the thing is that all of us maybe are young guys...in our 20's so maybe a hair transplant it is not the answer...btw you don't need to spend so much money for an udetectable piece ...you can get one with 200 dollars!for example this guy has spent something like 240 dollars and the result is very good!

Attachments

• small.jpg
    small.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 287

captain_que

Established Member
Reaction score
Had a weird dream last night;
I grabbed the hat off some random dude´s head at a street café. When I grabbed it I heard like this ripping sound, and it turned out his piece came loose. He chased me down the crowded streets with his piece flapping in the wind, before he gave up and burst into tears.. I gave him the hat back and told him to put his piece back on. Made me feel pretty bad actually..
Guess that´s the kind of dreams you get when you read about hair and wigs before you go to sleep... :gay:

andrei_eremenko

Experienced Member
Reaction score
you gotta be kidding...why don't you keep your dreams for you? at least it was a dream...imagine that in real world you could get screwed by an hair transplant doctor!!!

Noah

Reaction score
Hi Dude11

I am not sure you got a definitive answer to your questions.

To get the best result for permanent use you do really need to cut off the hair underneath the piece. Modern hairpiece bases are transparent - you can see the scalp through them, which greatly adds to the realism. But obviously it also means that if you have hair growing underneath the base, that could be visible too. Also, for a secure hold the base has to be glued to your scalp. If you have hair under there it will be painful and messy.

Having said all that, you can certainly slick your hair down and wear a piece over it for a week or two. You can use a weak tape and/or toupee clips to hold it in place. You will not be getting the most natural undetectable look possible, but you can get the idea of what it would be like to wear a piece and to have hair again before you make any commitment.

Noah

dude11 said:
hi.

i got to a point where i cant fix my hair to look ormal before leave the house.
i understand im gonna need to get a hair piece soon.
do i have to cut whats left off in order for the piece to sit normal?
im trying to avoid that.
my hairline looks worst and worst as days goes by.
is there a way to put a piece on without cutting the hair first?
is there anything else ishould try to fix my hair better before?
i have been using topik which has been somewhat helpfull most times.
would appreciate any information.
ty

Noah

Reaction score
Hi Shakyjake

Yes, a hairpiece will be custom made to fit your thinning or bald area. For a guy with classic male pattern baldness it is usually fairly obvious what needs to be covered. For a diffuse thinner it may be less obvious. You may have a certain amount of latitude about how much you shave and cover with a piece and how much of the natural hair you leave. However, the density of the piece broadly has to match the density of the hair around it, so if you leave a fringe of thinning hair then the piece has to be low density too.

Noah

shakyjake said:
I'm interested in an answer to this too.

I have diffuse thinning on top and crown is still fairly thick (so no bald spot). Are these hair pieces cut specifically to fill in the thinning section? Or does one have to shave a certain area off their scalp in order to have proper fitment?