When should you think of getting a hairpiece?

qztwn

Reaction score
Okay, so my hair is shedding like crazy for past six months (after quitting finasteride in 11 days). I thought it would stop but it never did. I haven't had a haircut in a long time so the length of my hair is masking the scalp for now. So my question is: at point of of hair density or balding should you go, "yes, I should get a hairpiece now".

Apologies if this has already been posted before.

shookwun

Reaction score
When you feel like treatments, and concealers are not enough & it bothers you to the point of contemplating a hair piece

Hair pieces work well for advanced balders. Nemisis has 3 week bonds out of his sly mug. Guys like fanjeera and myself who had near full heads of hair... go through bull**** to get good bonds.

To much hair on the scalp = not candidate unless you don't mind routinely de,- and re-attaching. Hairline touch ups every few days.

Noah

Reaction score
There is a psychological advantage in making the transition before people start to see you as bald, especially if you want to keep the system private. Once you are widely perceived as bald, it is hard to put on a system without causing attention. I think a familiar pattern (and my pattern) is you start by using scalp make-up (Toppik or Dermatch or whatever). Initially it works like a miracle, but eventually as you lose more hair you find it looks less and less convincing and more like a load of dust fell on your head. That is the point when it is good to make the change to a system, before anyone else has registered that your "hair" is mainly dust. Remember, you don't have to start with a full hairpiece if you don't need to - you can start with just a small front partial piece if that is enough.

Fanjeera

Reaction score
When you feel like treatments, and concealers are not enough & it bothers you to the point of contemplating a hair piece

Hair pieces work well for advanced balders. Nemisis has 3 week bonds out of his sly mug. Guys like fanjeera and myself who had near full heads of hair... go through bull**** to get good bonds.

To much hair on the scalp = not candidate unless you don't mind routinely de,- and re-attaching. Hairline touch ups every few days.
I should be having a small frontal toupee only, not one meant for nw7. I think I finally got my salon to order one that fits the surface area where I actually lose hair. We'll see how the fitting goes then... They told me it wasn't possible to blend.
There is a psychological advantage in making the transition before people start to see you as bald, especially if you want to keep the system private. Once you are widely perceived as bald, it is hard to put on a system without causing attention. I think a familiar pattern (and my pattern) is you start by using scalp make-up (Toppik or Dermatch or whatever). Initially it works like a miracle, but eventually as you lose more hair you find it looks less and less convincing and more like a load of dust fell on your head. That is the point when it is good to make the change to a system, before anyone else has registered that your "hair" is mainly dust. Remember, you don't have to start with a full hairpiece if you don't need to - you can start with just a small front partial piece if that is enough.
Exactly. I used Toppik for almost 2 years while going from NW2 to NW3. With the piece I moved back to NW2 (or 1?) and it wasn't a very big change.

Noah

Reaction score
Cool. Good luck with the frontal piece. Let us know how it goes.

noah