When removing tape from the poly base, it rips a lot of hair out. How do I prevent shedding when removing tape during maintenance?

noblesources

Experienced Member
Reaction score
What is the best way to go about removing tape from the poly base during maintenance? Is there a way to easily remove it? I spray c22 and wait 15 mins but it's not enough.

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
My previous hair system was an all thin skin/poly base system. I taped the perimeter (back and sides) and used glue for the hairline.I found cleaning it much easier than lace! With the glued area, I simply wiped it with a cotton wool pad soaked in isopropyl. For the tape, I gently peeled back an edge, then slowly peeled each strip of tape off - absolutely no soaking with C22 or isopropyl was needed. If you find the tape hard to peel off, gently pull back an edge and then dab the underside of the tape with isopropyl (perhaps on a cotton wool pad), and the tape will peel off easily.

After the tape is removed, take a DRY cotton wool pad (not soaked in anything!) and gently removed the excess adhesive residue from the base, ensuring you move away from the edges of the hair so you don't drag it into the hair. Once you've removed most of the adhesive with the dry cotton wool pad, you can rub the base with another cotton wool pad soaked in isopropyl. This worked fine for me. You can even spray or pour a modest amount of isopropyl onto the base then wipe it off a few minute later. But do this AFTER you've first cleaned the residue with a dry cotton wool pad. This method worked very well for me.

Next, you can clean your scalp. I use isopropyl again on a cotton wool pad. Then I wash by bio hair, then shave the balding area to the size of the template. You can wash the hair system hair too, but be gentle as this can cause shedding too.

You should not be getting much shedding during cleaning if you're careful. If anything, lace should shed more than poly when peeling off tape because it can pull hair through the lace, but this isn't possible with poly. The only thing I can think of that's causing your system to shed when removing tape is that you must be pulling it off across the edges of the hair and thus pulling hair out too. Or you could be dragging the excess adhesive (left behind from the tape) into the hair. It's a good idea to clip the sides of the hair up, so they're out of the way of the sides of the base while you're cleaning also. This will help prevent getting excess adhesive into the hair while cleaning, thus helping to prevent too much shedding.

Make sure you have your hair system upside down on a mannequin hairdressing head also when removing the tape, as this will make life easier.

I have since gone back to a lace/mono hybrid as I have longer hair and find these more durable. A skin system was a good experiment, though, but I found it a bit too delicate, too shiny at the hairline and shed faster than lace.