When is the right time for a hair transplant?

Funkymonk1

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Because as far as I understand it, if you get a hair transplant on minimal hair loss you'll only end up spending extra money on more operations when the rest of your hair falls out and if you leve it too late you may not be able to get a hair transplant at all.
So what do people think NW3? NW4?

shookwun

Reaction score
To many people jump into a transplant without adequate planning. Need to be financially secure and able to accept that additional work will most likely be required in the future.

That along with responding well to medicaturn are the most crucial aspects to transplant restoration.

That's why young people aren't good candidates. Most are not financially secure and their hair loss is generally agressive.

Stability and adequate planning is key

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
Young people may not be the best candidates yes, early onset male pattern baldness means aggressive cases and yes future financial security is an issue.

But young people stand to benefit the most, it's more important to them and will have a bigger impact on their lives. A 25 or 30 year old man will simply benefit more from a hair transplant, and while it lasts, it will improve their quality of life drastically. A 50 year old man has already made his friends, met his wife, had his kids, is well into his career. Simply put, loooks matter less to him, and more of his contemporaries and peers will also be suffering from male pattern baldness at that stage.

So yeah, guys with early onset male pattern baldness aren't the best candidates... But they're the ones who need it the most. Besides, you're a young guy too, why did you get two hair transplants if you're probably not a good candidate?

follicle2001

Established Member
Reaction score
Just one opinion here, but I think many people get a hair transplant too soon. I think your hairloss pattern needs to be established before doing this. I see a lot of pics of guys restoring their hairline very young which often leads to trouble in 5-10 years when they thin out behind this.

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
That's a trade off people are willing to make. We know our hair loss will progress, we know we have a finite amount of grafts, but the tradeoff - to not look bald.balding while we're still young, is worth it. Most people find their careers, their wives or future wives in their 20s and early 30s. That is the time we need to look best and be our most confident. Not when we're 40, not when we're 50 (by which time a cure will surely exist?), and certainly not when we're 50 or 60.

- - - Updated - - -

If someone is on finasteride, then their hair loss pattern is going to be delayed, do we have to be proper bald before we get a hair transplant? How many years of balding or baldness do we have to endure before pulling the trigger?

shookwun

Reaction score
like I said if you are financially stable and can afford it then go ahead. That, and responding well to medication are the deciding factors.

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
Financial considerations are of course very important, but being a good responder to medication is no guarantee of long term success given how many reports indicate that finasteride loses its effectiveness over time, particularly in those with early onset male pattern baldness. You can have all the money in the world, respond great to finasteride for 3 years, get a hair transplant, then slowly start to lose ground over the course of the next 3 years.

If finasteride worked indefinitely hair transplants would be a much safer option, but we never know how long it will work. At least switching to dutasteride can buy a bit more time.

follicle2001

Established Member
Reaction score
That's a trade off people are willing to make. We know our hair loss will progress, we know we have a finite amount of grafts, but the tradeoff - to not look bald.balding while we're still young, is worth it. Most people find their careers, their wives or future wives in their 20s and early 30s. That is the time we need to look best and be our most confident. Not when we're 40, not when we're 50 (by which time a cure will surely exist?), and certainly not when we're 50 or 60.

I do not think this is the case. You will ALWAYS want to look good and be at your most confident, at any age.

shookwun

Reaction score
I do not think this is the case. You will ALWAYS want to look good and be at your most confident, at any age.

I don't think a lot of men care as much as you think as they get older. A lot of them have accepted they look like ****.

Don't see very often the metro older gentleman type who are very image conscious.

Most aren't running around trying to chase tail, that's a young mans game. A lot have settled down.

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score

Of course you will always want to look good, nobody wants to look bad in their 40s, 50s or 60s. That said, At that age you're becoming wrinkly, skin is sagging and you're becoming wider anyway, so even with hair you may look bad.

Youth is where it's most important, you need hair more in your 20s and 30s when you're establishing your career, making friends and finding a wife. It's much harder to do that stuff as a young bald man. This is why young men, though poor hair transplant candidates, stand to benefit the most from hair transplants, and why waiting until you're older wrinklier, saggier, and all the good women are taken or menopausal, is not the best time to get a hair transplant.

Funkymonk1

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I don't think a lot of men care as much as you think as they get older. A lot of them have accepted they look like ****.

Don't see very often the metro older gentleman type who are very image conscious.

Most aren't running around trying to chase tail, that's a young mans game. A lot have settled down.

Not sure that's exactly true. A lot of older men I know are still chasing tail (even the married ones). Men are basically horny b*stards and we don't suddenly lose our sex drive when we hit 40 lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Just one opinion here, but I think many people get a hair transplant too soon. I think your hairloss pattern needs to be established before doing this. I see a lot of pics of guys restoring their hairline very young which often leads to trouble in 5-10 years when they thin out behind this.

This is basically what I was trying to say in my original post.

shookwun

Reaction score
40 isnt old lol.

to be more specific when you say 'old men' im referring to those who are 55+

Only1carra

Reaction score
Anyone have any success stories from India?

I'm considering this option, would appreciate some feedback?

jrjim

Reaction score
Heading towards NW6

Hi guys,

So, considering having a hair transplant and seeing NW6 patterns in my family (grandpa from my mother's side), when is a good time to go for it? I'm 28 and NW3.

shookwun

Reaction score
Y'all read or what?

The right time is when you respond well to medication, Have good donor characteristics and are financially secure.

jrjim

Reaction score
Sorry mate! I should have been more specific.

I'm OK with those 3 "requirements". I've been on finas since October. I guess my real question was: if I (we) keep losing hair regardless of medicines, is it a good idea to have a hair transplant now and plan for future hair transplants?

It's been around 4 months on finas and I'm shedding like a b**ch. It's weird; some days I can find 25-30 hairs whereas some other days I don't see any...

shookwun

Reaction score
That's up to you. Nobody can decide your fate, and where you hair is going.

A reputable surgeon will transplant in the bald areas, followed by reinforcing additional surrounding areas for future loss. Hope this helps.

Hairloss23

Banned
Reaction score
That's up to you. Nobody can decide your fate, and where you hair is going.

A reputable surgeon will transplant in the bald areas, followed by reinforcing additional surrounding areas for future loss. Hope this helps.

Aren't you at a young age with hair transplant's done? I recall you saying it once but I may be wrong. If so, are you not worried about the potential risks of continued hair loss behind the transplanted hair in the future?