when is the best time to get a hair transplant

jimjohn

Established Member
Reaction score
im a diffuse thinner. im thinking about getting an hair transplant. i have thinned a lot at the crown, quite a bit at the front, and the hairline has receded a bit as well as the temples. would it be better to get a hair transplant after the hair all falls out? I don't want to have to do that but I'm concerned that if i get an hair transplant now, it will start to look pretty bad when the non-transplanted hair starts falliing out. do you guys recommend to wait or get it and then get another session later on? thanks!

scar5

Reaction score
That obviously depends. I noticed you posted about your situation over three years ago with pics. I didn't follow it up, but did you end up going on finasteride or dutasteride and did it help any? Has your hairloss situation ptogressed or stabilized since then?
In my experience, hair transplants kill fine weaker hairs, it's not so much a case of shock loss as shock death! On the other hand shockloss also occurs locally (near recipient and donor zones) and globally (all over the head) but this usually recovers.

If you haven't been on finasteride/dutasteride I wouldn't do an hair transplant, unless you are really convinced your loss has stopped or stabilized (perhaps due to your genetic disposition) because these drugs can really change the picture. Some of those weaker hairs could come back stronger and play a part in the hair transplant design, instead of them being written off. If you were intent on getting an hair transplant and are comforatable with all the GOOD reasons not to, then look into it. All the clinics -or nearly all- will take your cash, but they all know about the shock-death thing, even if they don't admit it during the negotiating stages. Many times I've had preliminary discussions with reps and docs about globally planting hair only for them not to touch my crown on the operation day on account of not wanting to lose the weak hairs I still have (had) in that region.

Petchsky

Reaction score
Really depends on your situation...what Norwood are you currently? Posting a pic will help.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
I can tell you from experience, I am diffusely thin down the middle of my hair just up front and I wanted to fill it in to gain back my density but the hair transplant Doctor told me it would be very risky because the shock loss is more likely to occur and my results could be worse than if I had no transplant. And I have been on Propecia for 3 years and that still will not prevent any consequences. He still offered to due the transplant if I was so unhappy but I felt at this time I could live with what I know I have now versus what I could lose just for being hair greedy. My purpose was to find out if it was the best time to get a hair transplant and the answer was NO. I recommend you do the same if you really want to know if your situation warrants one yet.

jimjohn

Established Member
Reaction score
thanks guys. scar5, my hairloss definitely has progressed over the last 3 years. i never ended up taking propecia, i just dont want to be taking a strong drug like that. i did use minoxidil and it didn't help much. im really not sure what i would be on the norwood scale. i dont have any pictures (or a camera) right now but i will try to send pics as soon as i can. i did have a consultation with a hair transplant surgeon. he recommended i wait, get on propecia and minoxidil and wait till the hair loss stabilizes before getting the transplant. and when i do, he recommended i just get the front transplanted. he recommended i accept a mature hairline, and although my thinning is worst at the crown, he said generally ppl are perceived to be bald when the hair starts going from the front, not when theres a patch at the back.