When & How much will I shed when I leave minoxidil?

Broken

Reaction score
Guys, I am moving off Minoxidil 5% which I was on for the last 9-10 months. I have decided to give a herbal treatment a chance which worked for a friend of mine. What I'm afraid of is the infamous minoxidil shedding. As it is, my hair are alright (NW2) but the volume leaves much to be desired of. The last thing I want is a massive shedding. Please help me with my worries -

a. Does everyone experience a shed?
b. When can I expect the shedding to start?
c. How can I stop or postpone the shedding?
d. The hair that sheds, do they come back?

I know there are guys on this forum who have moved off Minoxidil, will you please share your experience with me here?

MrBastard

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Everywhere from 3 - 6 months. All the hairs that you keep alive cus of minoxidil will shed. They may and may not come back. If they only was there cus of minoxidil they wont and if they was hairs you got from finasteride and minoxidil strenghten them they will stay but get weaker.

Baseline is that you will end up where you whould have bin without any minoxidil at all after 6+ months. To not get it so drastic you can let it go easy. Do lower dosage, miss some days, dont cover all your head everyday and such until you completely stop somewhere down the road.

There was some guy on HLH who had a picture of hes minoxidil stopping shed, i can see if i find it. Chances are that i wont...

hairhoper

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Why leave minoxidil to use a herbal treatment? Sounds like a reaally bad idea.

Why not use both? Is minoxidil working for you?

Broken

Reaction score
I know it might sound like a bad idea but I don't think minoxidil is working anymore. Unless I use 10%, twice a day, then may be. I'm off Finasteride finally! Been losing hair on the temples in the last 3-4 months so my confidence in minoxidil is a little shaky. Apart from the peach growth in the temples, minoxidil has not done anything else. So why not give this other treatment a chance! It worked for a friend of mine & his 57 year old father who are both regrowing their hair. Sounds too good to be true, well, I saw that happening..So thats where I am coming from...

I'll still give a thought to using both minoxidil & herbal treatment..if that's possible..otherwise, I'd just have to take the leap..Hair loss is a such a b**ch!

MrBastard

Experienced Member
Reaction score
The herbal thing dont happend to be saw palmetto? it is weaker and same/more side effects as finasteride...

And you got off finasteride, started shedding(ofc...) and blame minoxidil not to work for you anymore?

Broken

Reaction score
Nope, not saw palmetto.

I just got off finasteride this week, took my last dose yesterday and shedding started just a week back. Even before shedding, I felt that minoxidil was not working anymore. Apart from that peach fuzz growth, there is nothing.

Broken

Reaction score
I don't quite know what exactly it is. But it consists of an oil & pills made of herbs & stuff. Worked for some people, so I am giving it a shot.