When do you decide the time is right?

sjbuk

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I got a query about wearing a piece and timing. I still have a fair bit of hair and looking to the future I'm not sure if I will go the piece route, hair transplant or au natural.

I reckon a piece makes sense before an hair transplant due to the obvious impermanence it offers and if you get a good one they can look effective. They also seem to be less hassle than my real hair as my real hair needs washing every other day but not to moan.

My questions are around when do you decide the time is right to give one a go?

Do you need to wait until you're basically bald?

Can you get effective front pieces if you want to bulk up recession or thinning?

If your head is shaved do pieces continually tear out hear if you take off from tape or glue?

Thanks a lot in advance for any help on this

Sjb

grincher

Experienced Member
Reaction score
timing is very much a personal thing.

some will wait until bald, others will want to make the change more discretely and start before baldness. Others will try different solutions first, while others still will make the change as soon as they find out about systems and get the confidence/courage to try.

micro timing is usually best around a holiday from work if thats relevant.

yes you can get front partials to fit recession there.

a lace piece should give you 5 to 12 months depending on how you care for it. Applying and removing a unit wont wear it out in itself.

sjbuk

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks Grincher

I know some people on here paint a bleak picture around pieces about how they can restrict lifestyle. I was surprised to see that they only need removing around once a week which seems easy maintenance in theory.

Does anyone know how much frontal pieces cost approx?

Do hairs get torn out when they're removed?

Anyone else with experience of pieces?

grincher

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I tend to remove every 3-weeks. Others have shorter or longer intervals depending on a few factors.

When I checked a while back, the prices were slightly lower than a topper, but the difference isnt much.

You should use a cleaner to release and the piece will easily come away.

sjbuk

Established Member
Reaction score
Topper being a regular piece right? I've seen decent ones of these for around £250 so frontal around £150-200 then?

Remove every 3 weeks crikey that's not much. My skin is quite oily so would I likely do it more often?

Does tape or glue tend to be easier on pulling out hair on scalp?

Noah

Reaction score
Hii SJB

I think it is a mistake to leave it till you're obviously bald before doing anything, whether it be a transplant or a system. Once people perceive you as bald, you have lost most of the benefit of doing anything, and you have to put up with people's idle curiosity about what you have done.

A typical timeline for most people is to use concealers to mask their hairloss first, and then, when the time comes that the concealers start to look obvious (all dust and no hair) to turn to a system or a transplant. Often a transplant is really a way of carrying on using the concealer dust - you don't get enough hair to look like you're not balding, but you get enough to form an acceptable base for the concealers. A system is the other approach, where you shave off the weak hair and start again with a full set of artificial hair. Ideally you want to make your move when it has become obvious to you that the concealers are coming to the end of their ability to work, but before everyone else has noticed it too. I'm guessing that is a window of a couple of months.

Personally I went from concealers to a front partial piece, then eventually to a full topper unit as my hair continued to thin. The partial piece was about the size of a school protractor, and just replaced my forelock. I wore the partial for several years before needing to have the larger unit.

You shave the hair under whatever hairpiece you use, so you don't tear any hair or lose any. I still have the remains of my forelock under my unit, which I shave off each time I reattach. Personally I redo my piece every week. It could last longer, but I prefer a nice fresh attachment. It is a matter of personal preference and circumstances - if you are a lion tamer you'll need more maintenance than a chartered accountant.

Noah

sjbuk

Established Member
Reaction score
Great stuff thanks Noah. Have you got any pictures of the frontal piece?

I think we are really free if we can wear them as and when. I would consider it as an option to possibly wear if I fancied it eg going to a really swanky evening out. I saw private pics of John Travolta who I think wears a partial piece where he wasn't au natural bald so I don't know if he does this. Pressure in Hollywood must be immense.