Whelp, Just Diagnosed.. help me pick a battle plan.

Bone Daddy

Established Member
Reaction score
Well there I was walking along w/out nare a care in the world, and then enters one lousy haircut about 5 weeks ago. After a week or two I noticed some "problem areas" for the first time in my hair. Being afraid all my life that I would end up as my uncle.. especially since I'd had "widows peaks" practically since childhood, the following fast forwarded events then occurred.

Freak Out/Am I Nuts? >>>> Hair Club Conseltation >>>> :freaked: >>>> I Caught it Early >>>> Temples and Crown Starting to Go >>>> :oops: >>>> Advisement of options >>>> :cry:

Well, I've been doing some research from several sources, and need some advice from the experienced here.

Hair club says im a "perfect candidate" for their EHT program as I caught it early. Problem is.. they want 350$ and 150$ for at least a year to supply me with what appears (to me) to be minoxidil and a T-Gel knockoff, as well as some other items.

I am wondering if I should get minoxidil myself and supplement it with some finate or other affordable pill instead, then after a year, decide to continue both, or to let a few years slip by and have a replacement. This way I save 50$ a month, and some hassle too. Id get a "good" shampoo either way of course.

I would use finasteride by itself, but as mentioned previously, I have loss on the temples and I've heard finasteride does nothing for that, so I'd need minoxidil either way.

So.. should I go with the hairclub and there huge line of products they want me to buy/mess with, and miss out on there "if its not normal in a year we will replace your hair free later on" guarantee.. or get the minoxidil and fen, and try that? or just the minoxidil by itself?

I appreciate all opinions,

Bone

JesusFreak

Established Member
Reaction score
The best plan is to use the "cocktail" approach:

Antiandrogen: Topical 2% spironolactone and/or Finasteride

Growth Stimulator: minoxidil 5% and/or Copper peptide

Inflammation: Both Nizoral shampoo and Copper Peptide

Anti-fibrotic: Copper Peptide (very important, since male pattern baldness is essentially caused by fibrosis, and Cu-peptides eliminate fibrosis)

G

Dear Mr Freak

could you explain

Anti-fibrotic: Copper Peptide (very important, since male pattern baldness is essentially caused by fibrosis, and Cu-peptides eliminate fibrosis)

Is there any stuff to read on this?

thanks

Ty

kiwi1973

Established Member
Reaction score
get it you self its much cheaper, read up on these forums

you can get minoxidil and finasteride very cheap if you shop around on the net
you can get a years supply of proscar(90 split by 4) for under 150 US
and a years suipply of rogaine for around 120 US
and if you go generic it even cheaper
also you might want to try nizoral shampoo
and remember you goto stay on this stuff for a year to till if its working and you may shed

JesusFreak

Established Member
Reaction score
The Comparative Histopathology of Male-Pattern Baldness and Senescent Baldness" Albert M. Kligman, MD, PhD

"All of the early male pattern baldness features are present. More of the shortened follicles are in telogen. The streamers still show considerable inflammation, but fibrosis is in greater evidence, with many parallel bundles of dense collagen. Occasional streamers eventually end up as fibrotic tracts. These are subfollicular scars. These fibrous bands have few cells, sparse vessels, and show hyalinized collagen. End-stage fibrosis of this degree is not common; surprisingly, some seem to undergo partial resorption, suggesting that they might disappear altogether...."

"male pattern baldness is a genetically determined inflammatory disorder that should not be considered as premature aging. The etiology of the inflammation is unknown. Follicular miniaturization in male pattern baldness is a consequence of pathologic fibrosis of the connective tissue sheath. The central pathology relates to abnormalities of the perifollicular connective tissue sheath, evident as inflamed streamers subtending involuting follicles. Those streamers show fibroplasia and hypertrophy, along with proliferation of capillaries and a mixed infiltrate of lymphocytes, histocytes, and mast cells. Chronic inflammation of the streamers prevents anagen follicles from being fully reconstructed during the new cycle. After many years, this can lead to scarring and preclude regeneration. Even in advanced male pattern baldness, most follicles were not fully scarred, offering the theoretical possibility of regrowth. Fibrotic streamers are increased in proportion to the duration of baldness and chronologic age".

As you see, inflammation and fibrosis are essential players in male pattern baldness. Cu Peptides are capable of preventing and even reversing tissue fibrosis.[/b]

drinkrum

Reaction score
For now, I would skip the minoxidil and just use finasteride (Propecia/Proscar) and a good shampoo like T/Gel or Nizoral. Stay this course for a year or more and then make adjustments, like adding minoxidil, if necessary.

D.

Cassin

Reaction score
drinkrum said:
For now, I would skip the minoxidil and just use finasteride (Propecia/Proscar) and a good shampoo like T/Gel or Nizoral. Stay this course for a year or more and then make adjustments, like adding minoxidil, if necessary.

D.

The man speaks the truth, listen to him.

G

drinkrum said:

D.

yup me too, Propecia + Nizoral and/or T/Gel for now, give it a year then start thinking wig/combover options

Brasileirao

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I have been on Propecia and Nizoral, but I am adding tricomin. Do you think I should, or should I wait for the one year mark.....JesusFreak makes some great points....

Thanks,
Tony

Bone Daddy

Established Member
Reaction score
Off-Topic-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Good posts all, but I'm not comb-over material, my front is just starting to thin and you can kinda tell on my crown tip if you dig a little.

I'm not letting it get to even stage 2 (on the scale) and then maybe care, I want to attack and attack swiftly as affordably, swiftly, and sensibly as possible. And yes I know its "lifelong" thing. If it's a pill or a shampoo every now and then.. big deal, once habits are formed they are hard to break. Small price to pay for my "youth" and I primpy Mcprimperson anyway. :D If after a year, I'm still screwed/worse, Ill save up for replacement and shave prior, etc.

It looks like jesusfreak, aside from the last product he mentioned, has the same thoughts as I have.

T3h Questions--------------------------------------------------------------------

I wouldn't mind just using finasteride by itself, but it has (from what I've read) no effect on the temples, which is 1/2 of my problem. So minoxidil would stop this and maybe regrow a tad too.

If I just used finasteride, and nizeral would that be the same effect as a finasteride/minoxidil combo? I just want my temple area to be protected/regrown as well as my crown.

And what's all this talk about "head and shoulders"?

Thanks all, this post is shorter ;)

-Bone-

BadHairDecade

Reaction score
The most successful regimen seems to be the "Big 3".
Propecia
minoxidil 5% 2x a day
Nizoral shampoo 3x a week.

BTW Propecia and minoxidil DO work on the hairline and temples

Brasileirao

Experienced Member
Reaction score
BHD, how are things with you my friend? Hair? Gyno? Hope all is well.

OUT!

Master Chief

Established Member
Reaction score
JesusFreak said:
The Comparative Histopathology of Male-Pattern Baldness and Senescent Baldness" Albert M. Kligman, MD, PhD

"All of the early male pattern baldness features are present. More of the shortened follicles are in telogen. The streamers still show considerable inflammation, but fibrosis is in greater evidence, with many parallel bundles of dense collagen. Occasional streamers eventually end up as fibrotic tracts. These are subfollicular scars. These fibrous bands have few cells, sparse vessels, and show hyalinized collagen. End-stage fibrosis of this degree is not common; surprisingly, some seem to undergo partial resorption, suggesting that they might disappear altogether...."

"male pattern baldness is a genetically determined inflammatory disorder that should not be considered as premature aging. The etiology of the inflammation is unknown. Follicular miniaturization in male pattern baldness is a consequence of pathologic fibrosis of the connective tissue sheath. The central pathology relates to abnormalities of the perifollicular connective tissue sheath, evident as inflamed streamers subtending involuting follicles. Those streamers show fibroplasia and hypertrophy, along with proliferation of capillaries and a mixed infiltrate of lymphocytes, histocytes, and mast cells. Chronic inflammation of the streamers prevents anagen follicles from being fully reconstructed during the new cycle. After many years, this can lead to scarring and preclude regeneration. Even in advanced male pattern baldness, most follicles were not fully scarred, offering the theoretical possibility of regrowth. Fibrotic streamers are increased in proportion to the duration of baldness and chronologic age".

As you see, inflammation and fibrosis are essential players in male pattern baldness. Cu Peptides are capable of preventing and even reversing tissue fibrosis.[/b]

sounds like an example from "warp plasma core injector" operations manual from star trek, just that the word follicle and male pattern baldness by mistake got into the text,

Bone Daddy

Established Member
Reaction score
^ :lol:

My breaain, she cunna handle eet cap'n! :hairy:

So, finasteride/propecia does work on the temples? Their website (Doctor talk though) says that it does'nt.

Dale

Reaction score
In my opinion, you need propecia for sure, you could even do avodart if you can afford it (both inhibit DHT, avodart just works alot better). 5% minoxidil should help to regrow what you have lost in you temple, but it will take 6months to a year so stick with it. Finally, you need to use 1 or 2% nizoral shampoo because it conditions your scalp and acts as a mild antiandrogen (its effects are similar to 2% minoxidil, but I would still use the 5% minoxidil as well). You can do this regimen for less than $100 a month and for the majority of people it works like a charm in maintaining all of the hair you have and regrowing alot that you have lost. You have to stick with it though. Your hair is probably going to shed and look like sh*t for about the first three months, but after that its golden.

Bone Daddy

Established Member
Reaction score
Good enough..

I was thinking of doing that anyway. (using finasteride,nizo,minoxidil)

Is the cheaper finasteride and minoxidil as good as the "popular brands" ?

When you shed, do you get huge bald spots, or does it just look thinner? I have close to normal covering when my hair is clean, so I'm wondering what shedding would do. I guess if It bothered me maybe I could use topic or something. *shrugs*

Keep the great info coming guys.

:D