What's your dosage? Long term sides?

Ichibi

Reaction score
I've been reading a lot about finasteride lately and decided it's worth a try to deter my male pattern baldness. I've been using nizoral for the past couple of months. Are there any long term sides to finasteride? I've read about the common ones that occur when you start off, but what about taking this for years and even decades? Sperm count? I haven't read about studies of sterility in men, but I thought I'd ask here first to see if anyone has come across this. If I'm committed to taking this for years to come (I'm still young), will I regret later?

Another question, What's your dosage?

I haven't started finasteride, but I was thinking I should start with .25mg so my body can adjust a little then up to .5 after a few weeks. Don't know if I want to take the 1mg dosage unless I don't see any change after a while. I'm goin to see what finasteride does and stay away from minoxidil, unless I really need it. Is this a good way of approaching it?

caper0101

Reaction score
Lots of possible long term sides. Be careful with that stuff. Took me 6-8 months to recover and I'm one of the lucky ones. For some its been years without recovery. There's a whole forum dedicated to it. I think its propecia-help.com or something like that.

Avery

Established Member
Reaction score
Don't use a forum dedicated to side effects to determine if side effects are likely.

Took me 6-8 months to recover and I'm one of the lucky ones.

No, you would be one of the unlucky ones.

medmax84

Established Member
Reaction score
That website uses a lot of peripherally-related studies to make cases. It's like using a tangential line to predict the course of a circle.

Bottom line, there are 2% who suffer from side effects. A double-blinded, placebo-controlled study was conducted for five years to find this. It has been peer reviewed for a few years...the methods and population were excellent.

2% of several million is still quite a few individuals. However, when you take ibuprofen or acetaminophen, you risk far more side effects than are even possible with propecia. Check it out, you'll see it's true. Likewise, if your girlfriend takes birth control pill, she is risking a tremendous amount more than you are to maintain your hair. Search for ortho tricyclen lo and yaz and you'll see what I'm talking about...

I have been taking finasteride for 4 days now with zero side effects... and thats even considering that this is supposed to be my adjustment period to the drug.

If you start propecia EXPECTING side effects, you WILL be more likely to experience them. Go into it thinking it's a tiny f*****g pill, what harm can it do and you'll be fine.

After 8 days, I experienced some pretty persistent testicular pain and had a markedly decreased libido. It wasn't in my head, it's real. That said, when I was drunk and fooling around with the gf and everything worked really well last night. Maybe the sides are transient... I'm reducing my dosage to ETD for a week then EOD then as directed...

caper0101

Reaction score
Avery said:
Don't use a forum dedicated to side effects to determine if side effects are likely.

Took me 6-8 months to recover and I'm one of the lucky ones.

No, you would be one of the unlucky ones.

Not saying they're likely, just saying there's some real bad things that have happened to at least a few hundred people. It is the unlikely case though of course.

caper0101

Reaction score
medmax84 said:
If you start propecia EXPECTING side effects, you WILL be more likely to experience them. Go into it thinking it's a tiny f****ing pill, what harm can it do and you'll be fine.

I would disagree with you. I have always had a strong sex drive. In fact when the Doctor told me 2% of people have sexual side effects, seriously I laughed at him, and thought to myself I dare this little fkr to try to take on my libido. I didn't think there's any chance I had to worry about that. I'm young healthy and in good shape. When I get a headache I pop 4 excederins just to be sure I get rid of it. I've never even thought twice about that fact it could be a problem. I've never had a side effect from medicine of any kind. But, sure enough finasteride got me good! Believe me, this wasn't in my head.

And sorry but I don't believe the number is really 2%. Even Dr. Lee told me its more like 1/3 of people have sides.

medmax84

Established Member
Reaction score
caper0101 said:
medmax84 said:
If you start propecia EXPECTING side effects, you WILL be more likely to experience them. Go into it thinking it's a tiny f****ing pill, what harm can it do and you'll be fine.

I would disagree with you. I have always had a strong sex drive. In fact when the Doctor told me 2% of people have sexual side effects, seriously I laughed at him, and thought to myself I dare this little fkr to try to take on my libido. I didn't think there's any chance I had to worry about that. I'm young healthy and in good shape. When I get a headache I pop 4 excederins just to be sure I get rid of it. I've never even thought twice about that fact it could be a problem. I've never had a side effect from medicine of any kind. But, sure enough finasteride got me good! Believe me, this wasn't in my head.

And sorry but I don't believe the number is really 2%. Even Dr. Lee told me its more like 1/3 of people have sides.

Well, if Dr. Lee can produce a controlled scientific study, I will be all-ears.

bubka

Reaction score
caper0101 said:
What, the Dr. Lee who sells a bunch of potions on his 1995 website? Never. :whistle: