What's the verdict on dutasteride and frontal hair loss

Slartibartfast

Reaction score
badasshairday said:
Startibart(I can't remember the poster name off the top of my head) used dutasteride for 2 years or somthing and I think I remember him updating every once and a while on the My Story forum about how his front continued to thin out also.

Could have just been how his system reacted with it.
So close with the name, I'll give you a C+ for effort. You're also half right with the frontal thinning, it's "only" the first half inch in that has deteriorated in the last 2 years, and I'm as sure as I can be that it's been a slower descent than whilst on finasteride. More positively, the next couple of inches behind this remarkably diffuse strip of hair is at least as thick as in August '04, and possibly a tad improved on the left side. So not a complete disaster.

Slarti

MPBWarrior

Experienced Member
Reaction score
why is spironolactone snake oil? it seems to be one of the few decent anti-androgens there are.

daedalusryan

Reaction score
I have been on Dutas for 6 months this month and my hair has filled in a lot in the crown (it looks like a normal cowlick again for the most part), and i have even grown back hair above my ears where i lost some while on finasteride. Now on dutas 1mg daily/2mg finasteride daily even though i have had the crown start filling in, my frontal recession has gotten MUCH worse than on finasteride alone.

So now im stumped dutas has worked on the back and destroyed the front, and finasteride worked moderately at best, all over. So basically either way im ****ed lol. And id hate to be the one to scare people off trying stuff because i hate guys like that, but yes in my case Dutas has caused severe frontal hair loss. And i mean, my hairline moved back a half an inch and is diffusely moving back another 3 inches at an alarming rate..... as in another 2 months and i imagine having to shave the head for good..**** hahaha

boldmun

Reaction score
I have been on Dutas for 6 months this month and my hair has filled in a lot in the crown (it looks like a normal cowlick again for the most part), and i have even grown back hair above my ears where i lost some while on finasteride. Now on dutas 1mg daily/2mg finasteride daily even though i have had the crown start filling in, my frontal recession has gotten MUCH worse than on finasteride alone.

So now im stumped dutas has worked on the back and destroyed the front, and finasteride worked moderately at best, all over. So basically either way im ****ed lol. And id hate to be the one to scare people off trying stuff because i hate guys like that, but yes in my case Dutas has caused severe frontal hair loss. And i mean, my hairline moved back a half an inch and is diffusely moving back another 3 inches at an alarming rate..... as in another 2 months and i imagine having to shave the head for good..**** hahaha
The same thing happened to me. My hair seems to be getting worse in the front with Dutas but I just assumed it is not working. What rational explanation could explain this though.

Dench57

My Regimen
Reaction score
The same thing happened to me. My hair seems to be getting worse in the front with Dutas but I just assumed it is not working. What rational explanation could explain this though.

Might mean your follicles at the front are still sensitive to Testosterone. dutasteride gives a pretty sizeable boost to Test.

Koga

Established Member
Reaction score
You could try to decrease testosterone. Either naturally (high fiber, low fat diet, no bodybuilding, very long cardio sessions, high alcohol consumption, or even licorice consumption or spearmint tea) or by the use of medication (spironolactone, topical or oral). I do know oral spironolactone is crazy and a pretty f*cked up drug to take as a non-transgender man, but I'm not really convinced of the efficacy topically.

Tumi1509

Reaction score
I began on dutasteride (I'm 23) and have had SIGNIFICANT hairline gains. Scientifically, it reduces more DHT.. So I don't see how you'd destroy or lose hairline due to dutasteride (and not finasteride, too)

sportsfan12

Established Member
Reaction score
interesting thread.

im 11 months into finasteride (3+ yrs minoxidil)- finasteride has done a great job on my crown, but hairline (especially one corner) have slowly still thinned.

I was considering dutasteride because of this- any input?

hbcwel

Reaction score
I've been on dutasteride for more than a year. I didn't get them from a local pharmacy with a prescription, but rather through reputable online pharmacies, and dutasteride hasn't done anything for me. It's getting really frustrating. Not only am I losing frontal hair, but in the crown area as well. I must be darn unlucky..

sportsfan12

Established Member
Reaction score
can docs prescribe dutasteride? or is it not indicated for hair loss and you have to order online?

raskoblaskan

My Regimen
Reaction score
I am 48, veg/vegan, and drink a lot of alcohol. Due to my high soy intake, that probably accounts for my large chest, which looks not terrible since I lift weights and have a lot of muscle. Still, I have a much larger chest than my Dad. Anyway, my Dad, at 38, was severely bald, and me, at 48, still have a good head of hair -- thinning at the temples now. Also I am doing better than the men on my Mom's side.

Just saying: soy + alcohol probably delays hair loss. I'm not sure what I would have chosen earlier in the game had I all the info. It's true, I'm not a major fan of having a large chest. But at least it looks manly, as long as I'm pumping iron. I still have way the f*** more hair than most men my age. Maybe it wasn't a bad trade-off.

I will likely try Dutas soon, and keep up the alcohol and soy and whatever else I can think of, to stave off things for a while. Why the hell not.

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
Was under the impression alcohol could lead to thinning. Is the theory here alcohol reduces testosterone and ups estrogen this could help hairline?

Cheers.

Dennis Garber

My Regimen
Reaction score
we don't even know if grapeseed extract and tumeric are effective topically, do we?
Grape seed and tumeric are the world's most staining products. I banned grape seed from house, allowing tumeric. Knowing how staining tumeric is, that is saying a ton. Purple gold head, that doesn't wash off.

Pephair

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have frontal shedding from dutasteride Started when I took once a week, just slowly but I let it slide. Then I took 3 times a week and it's gotten very noticable. Just a line from the middle of my hairline, back a couple inches. Very strange. I stopped taking. I'm back on finasteride.

Was on finasteride for 2 years before
Stayed on dutasteride for 6 months. Made my hair super thin too. I'm sure it works for some people. Just didn't work out for me.