What's the ultimate dude's guide for hair maintenance?

Selb

My Regimen
Reaction score
Well, it didn't hurt that I was in law school but I am not sure that my personality got me through. My ex remarked at times that I was so attractive in high school which had the obvious implication that I was less good looking after. I don't have that many pics in between high school and when phone cameras came out but I will see if I can dig up a couple. I was probably better than average looking even with some recession/baldness but I was also short at 170 cm which probably didn't help. I do agree that confidence makes a huge difference and once minoxidil came out, I got a lot of my confidence back. I have added a time line here although I still have to upload pics for today:

I’m curious. What age did you start finasteride and how long did it maintain your hair and I assume regrowth from finasteride?

rapper dude

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Age 20-26: polysorbate 80
Age 24 to current: Topical Minoxidil
Age 34 to current: Reductase Inhibitors. From 34 to 50, proscar. From 50 to 56, proscar and dutastaride
Currently: Dutasteride 0.5 mg

I have never seen any regrowth from anything except estradiol and presumably oral minoxidil. I have zero complaints because my maintenance was so incredible. Once finasteride/min stopped working as well at ~48, I jumped ship as I jokingly call it. All of these meds were life-saving for me, not in terms of suicide but in terms of being able to live more closely with the way that I saw myself. When I see people deriding meds as mere maintenance, I always try to chime in that maintenance is fantastic and the thing that I was one of the very first people on the planet to experience.

Before the polysorbates (I think they work like keto) and minoxidil, prior to the mid-80's, there were no meds at all except for estrogen and I tried to get that and got turned down.
So you now take .5 mg od avodart? I take this 5-6 times a week plus a take nutrafol every day and minoxidil. Went last year to transplant DR and he said crown was fine and he could maybe squeeze about 400 grafts in my front hairline. Never got it done because of Covid and then went and had harvest PRP done in August & Sept. Started shedding and now have thinning all over

NickyA

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Age 20-26: polysorbate 80
Age 24 to current: Topical Minoxidil

I read your comment on polysorbates a while ago and how they thickened your thinner hair and acted like a concealer for weaker hair. Maybe they could be a useful, cheaper option instead of Toppik, Dermmatch or Couvre for guys with thinning hair? Do you remember how did you use them with the Minoxidil back then? As in would you use the Minoxidil once a day and the polysorbates during the day or would you use the minoxidil and the polysorbates together? I'm curious about this since you're supposed to wait for the minoxidil to dry before applying any other products according to the manufacturer.

rapper dude

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I thought about PRP but actually my attendant at the salon was down on it and then I noticed that for the money it costs, the reviews are mixed at best. But yes, 0.5 mg generic for Avodart. Until June, I was taking finasteride too but they were likely duplicative.
I still have decent hair coverage but the hair is now grey and weaker making me very depressed. I will be 54 so I am thankful I made it this far and if I could keep what I have now then that would be great. Not sure if Avodart was cause of shedding

rapper dude

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I still have decent hair coverage but the hair is now grey and weaker making me very depressed. I will be 54 so I am thankful I made it this far and if I could keep what I have now then that would be great. Not sure if Avodart was cause of shedding
The pro coat about $1100 x two treatments

NickyA

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Funny you should ask because I was going to do a review of Toppix spray tonight and the damn nozzle broke, lol. I think what you are remembering and I don't recall the name but they had great infomercials for Hair in a Spray Can. That stuff was amazing, like for a date or formal outing. It was too heavy for everyday but that stuff really, really worked. I am so close to the finish line now that I was thinking maybe the Toppix spray would give me an idea with my temples completely restored.

I've read from users here that Dermmatch is the best for the front and hairline, and Toppik Spray is the worst of the most common concealers. I saw the infomercials from the 90's in an old thread a while ago and searched them in youtube now, so here they are if you want a trip down memory lane:

It's sad that Polysorbates don't work that well as concealers, since that may have made them more useful today. They've mostly disappeared nowadays due to being seen as useless for treating hair loss or as a placebo for the most part. I think I read somewhere that some Ketoconazole shampoos or creams made for treating hair loss contain polysorbate 80 as an excipient.

beverlyhillshr

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hairs Really affects personality and self-confidence.
Healthy Hair only can be gain from a healthy diet and daily bath. If You are suffering from hair loss or any hair disease, then the best treatment is natural home remedies.
Should try homemade healthy hair egg mask and oil. Also, Omega, Zinc and High Protein is the best source for healthy hair.

Anthony_smith01

My Regimen
Reaction score
Oh Mesotherapy- I went to a clinic who does that in Uk, he actually talked me out of it. He said you’ll get the same
Results being on minoxidil and to just start taking finasteride- as once u do mesotherapy, it’s lifelong and the results aren’t even that good in his opinion (this is coming from a guy who earns money from it) so I really respect him for actually turning me away

BetaBoy

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Oh Mesotherapy- I went to a clinic who does that in Uk, he actually talked me out of it. He said you’ll get the same
Results being on minoxidil and to just start taking finasteride- as once u do mesotherapy, it’s lifelong and the results aren’t even that good in his opinion (this is coming from a guy who earns money from it) so I really respect him for actually turning me away
Practitioners with integrity are honestly a rarity in the private healthcare sector but still a little disappointing to hear how ineffective it actually is. Im curious what kind of meso was the clinic offering, was it a cocktail of growth factors or something like finasteride/dutasteride?

Isneezedsohard

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Practitioners with integrity are honestly a rarity in the private healthcare sector but still a little disappointing to hear how ineffective it actually is. Im curious what kind of meso was the clinic offering, was it a cocktail of growth factors or something like finasteride/dutasteride?
I’ve heard amazing things? Curious about this. I’ve also heard about “vitamin” injections. But that sounds like some BS being peddled to make money

jazz1

Reaction score
I've thought of this lately myself but can't recall the things I gathered. Off the top of my head, these would be a must, if I had all the money:

Oral drugs:

- Dutasteride
- Minoxidil
- Castor oil
- Corticosteroids

Topical treatments:

- Dutasteride
- 15% minoxidil
- 1.5mm microneedling
- Tretinoin
- RU-58841
- CB-03-01
- Corticosteroids
- Nizoral

Now if you wouldn't mind penis shrinkage, breast development and loss of any sexual desire, your options would vastly increase, with serious results but you didn't declare that so only listing "safe" stuff.
This obviously finasteride being the first option, you can get topical options here:

FromHairy2LarryDavid

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Now if you wouldn't mind penis shrinkage, breast development and loss of any sexual desire, your options would vastly increase, with serious results but you didn't declare that so only listing "safe" stuff.
Actually I might have to adjust what I said a little bit since I've been binge-reading the one big HRT-thread the last couple days and I've learnt a ton about alternative treatments, some of which you could arguably consider a "cure" or at the very least, far more effective than the big-three. More importantly the side-effects I mentioned, especially penile shrinkage seem avoidable after all, granted you're altering hormones safely with a lot of preparation and moderation.

FromHairy2LarryDavid

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Well. That comes from the @bridgeburn thread, not that I am saying you should have read it all but yes, I know a lot about this but one thing is that I answer so many questions that then we can interrupt the other thread. I would love to discuss this more with you here:

I'm aware of it, an equally helpful discourse on it which I'll def binge through once done on the bridge thread. I do plan to bombard it with some questions or random thoughts once I've gathered a solid stance on the subject once im done reading.
I just posted Larry David when he was 25 too!
Saw that haha.. Larry is such a legend to me in terms of hair loss. The level of honesty and genuine disregard he shows of it kinda stands out to me from the crowd of people like the baldcafé guests or other rather obvious coping cases.. His is just so genuine and I've seen him wearing a wig on his show before which imo scraped off a solid 15-20 years off him