What's The Point In Using Minoxidil When You Have Had Minimal Loss?

FJKJK

My Regimen
Reaction score
Ever since I started using minoxidil I can't help but question why I'm doing it. If you have minimal hair loss what actually is the point in using it? You will regrow the tiny bit of hair you lost and then watch it slowly lose its effectiveness. Someone explain why you should get on minoxidil to treat hairloss early instead of doing nothing and going on it when there is something to regrow or just getting on finasteride.

hopeforhappiness

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Most would say try finasteride first if you’re of age and aware of the side risk etc. Save minoxidil for when you start experiencing any noticeable loss because it is the best growth stim but as you’ve stated it will lose potency after some time. This ideally will be your last resort (an effective one) once you reach the potential nw3 range and would like to get back to a better nw2 while you consider upping your anti androgen. Aside from noticeable hair loss the only other reason to get on minoxidil would be if your hairloss is agressive. For example you may not be visibly thinning or balding but your’e noticing obscene amounts of hair fail or that you can lift up your bangs and see that you’ve receded in the last 6 months. This could be labeled as ‘agressive’ and would mean that if untreated you could be visibly balding in as short as a years time.

If you can do with out any regrowth at your current stage, assuming your hairloss is not agressive and you’re willing to try finasteride there is no reason to be on minoxidil at this time.

Without visible hairloss anyone who tells you to try minoxidil first is likely afraid of finasteride. There is no reason to fear finasteride until you experience unwanted or unbearable side effects.

Last edited:

Retinoid

My Regimen
Reaction score
I used Minoxidil when I had visible thinning/bald spot on crown at 19 (10yrs ago) for about 6-8 months and grew it back and stopped and it maintained without any treatment for a decade.

If I was me back then and I posted here, people would say to use Finasteride and I would be on a pill for 10yrs instead of doing nothing.

So your question on 'why' is because it is a treatment and it does work for some people without Finasteride. Not a popular opinion, but it does. I also do not think EVERY case of hair loss is due to DHT. So Finasteride would not only be ineffective but possibly damaging while Minoxidil is actually good for things like Telogen Effluvium.

FJKJK

My Regimen
Reaction score
I used Minoxidil when I had visible thinning/bald spot on crown at 19 (10yrs ago) for about 6-8 months and grew it back and stopped and it maintained without any treatment for a decade.

If I was me back then and I posted here, people would say to use Finasteride and I would be on a pill for 10yrs instead of doing nothing.

So your question on 'why' is because it is a treatment and it does work for some people without Finasteride. Not a popular opinion, but it does. I also do not think EVERY case of hair loss is due to DHT. So Finasteride would not only be ineffective but possibly damaging while Minoxidil is actually good for things like Telogen Effluvium.
Interesting, although I have 0 hair loss on my crown I've just lost a bit on my hairline. My thinking now is that I will use all the minoxidil I have (6 month supply) and stop. From then on I'll either do nothing and monitor hair loss and restart treatments when I start going beyond NW2 or just start finasteride as soon as I stop using minoxidil.

Jimm

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Are you saying it grew back and stopped regrowing? or it grew back, you stopped using it, and the hair stayed unaltered for a decade? I assume the prior, but I can't be certain. If so, it's great to hear from someone whom minoxidil benefitted for such an extended period of time. I'm near jumping on..

Retinoid

My Regimen
Reaction score
Are you saying it grew back and stopped regrowing? or it grew back, you stopped using it, and the hair stayed unaltered for a decade? I assume the prior, but I can't be certain. If so, it's great to hear from someone whom minoxidil benefitted for such an extended period of time. I'm near jumping on..

Yes, I used it for 6 months when I had noticeable thinning of the crown and stopped and it was fine for 10yrs. I have thinning again there and am using it again. I am not sure if I have male pattern baldness or not, but what I do know is not ALL hair loss is because of DHT as I never took an RX DHT inhibitor when I had a thin crown and was fine. I bought Propecia this time just in case but holding off on it for now since I didn't need it last time...