What's the difference between water based, acrylic, silicone and hard bond adhesives?

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have been looking into different types of hair system glues and I see there are water based, acrylic, silicone and hard bond adhesives. What are the differences between these, in practical terms? Which has the strongest and longest hold? Which holds best even if you sweat? I'm sure I read that silicone based adhesives don't break down when you sweat, whereas water based ones do.

I currently use mostly all tape on my system, but a little bit of glue at the front of it. I use Walker Safe Grip Extentded Wear, which is water based:

This seems to work ok, but I find it can weaken if I get too hot, and it needs redoing every 2 - 5 days.

Are there any better glues? I am consider Walker Extreme Hold or Ultra Hold - anyone tried these?

What are the Walker 'Hard Bond' adhesives, and how long do they last?....

On the Walker website it says: Hard Bonds are basically like super glue for your hair system. They are designed to bond to hair stubble, not skin. They dry much more rigid than soft bond adhesives, but still have enough flexibility to give you long hold times - so they don't bond to skin, but to hair stubble? I have no idea how that works.

Also how does Ghost Bond compare to Walker adhesives?

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have been looking into different types of hair system glues and I see there are water based, acrylic, silicone and hard bond adhesives. What are the differences between these, in practical terms? Which has the strongest and longest hold? Which holds best even if you sweat? I'm sure I read that silicone based adhesives don't break down when you sweat, whereas water based ones do.

I currently use mostly all tape on my system, but a little bit of glue at the front of it. I use Walker Safe Grip Extentded Wear, which is water based:

This seems to work ok, but I find it can weaken if I get too hot, and it needs redoing every 2 - 5 days.

Are there any better glues? I am consider Walker Extreme Hold or Ultra Hold - anyone tried these?

What are the Walker 'Hard Bond' adhesives, and how long do they last?....

On the Walker website it says: Hard Bonds are basically like super glue for your hair system. They are designed to bond to hair stubble, not skin. They dry much more rigid than soft bond adhesives, but still have enough flexibility to give you long hold times - so they don't bond to skin, but to hair stubble? I have no idea how that works.

Also how does Ghost Bond compare to Walker adhesives?
I would suggest Walker ultrahold as it is solvent based and will provide the most durable and flexible hold.

Ghost bond is water based and will loosen, lift, and turn white when moisture is introduced via sweat or outside influence.

Silicone is one of the 1st hair system adhesives and was replaced by Solvent based, such as ultrahold. So, in my opinion, it would be a step backward.... They also tend to dry rigid and hard.

Lastly, hard bonds are 100% crazy glue. You cannot reuse the system, after your hair grows , you will have to "shave the system" off of your head, and discard it with hardened crazy glued hair attached .

smoka123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Just try some different glues. It all depends on your body chemistry. None is perfect.

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I would suggest Walker ultrahold as it is solvent based and will provide the most durable and flexible hold.

Ghost bond is water based and will loosen, lift, and turn white when moisture is introduced via sweat or outside influence.

Silicone is one of the 1st hair system adhesives and was replaced by Solvent based, such as ultrahold. So, in my opinion, it would be a step backward.... They also tend to dry rigid and hard.

Lastly, hard bonds are 100% crazy glue. You cannot reuse the system, after your hair grows , you will have to "shave the system" off of your head, and discard it with hardened crazy glued hair attached .

Ok thanks for the reply. I see that Walker Ultra Hold is acrylic based - so you're saying acrylic (presumably the same as 'solvent'?) is the most superior adhesive for hair systems?

Jake1979

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Last night I ordered some Walker ultra hold clear bond, just for minor touch ups in between maintenance appointments. (Just in case the water based bond stylist uses doesnt work, or runs white).
Would tape also work for minor maintenance touch ups, or is tape something I would only use after removing the unit from my head entirely?

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
Last night I ordered some Walker ultra hold clear bond, just for minor touch ups in between maintenance appointments. (Just in case the water based bond stylist uses doesnt work, or runs white).
Would tape also work for minor maintenance touch ups, or is tape something I would only use after removing the unit from my head entirely?
I wouldn't mix white and clear. Installing with one and touching up with another. Also, tape you would do on a reinstall not really inbetween.

Jake1979

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Ah, I gotcha! That makes complete sense, I wont mix them. I may see if shell use the clear at install, and if not I'll just save it. I'll wait on the tape also.
Thanks for the advice and tips as always brother, you're awesome! :)

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score

What do you mean by Ultra Hold's being "flexible" and Silicone-based adhesive's being "rigid and hard"?

Also, is Silicone a good option for sensiitve skin that breaks out? Ghostbond is easy to apply but it's so disappointingly tempermental

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
What is best for an all Swiss lace system? Will Walker Ultra Hold adhesive be good for that (on the front of the hairline only)?

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
Still universally the best adhesive. The only difference with lace, is you want to make 100% sure it is dry/tacky so it does not press through into the hair when attaching.

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
How long do you have to wait before attaching with Ultra Hold?
Until it feels dry and slightly tacky. That will be a different time depending on your environment. Temperature and humidity level being the most important variables.

Last edited:

Fanjeera

Reaction score
Until it feels dry and slightly tacky. That will be a different time depending on your environment. Temperature and humidity level being the most important variables.
Approximately. For you for example? I've got no experience with them and would just like an estimate. Maybe I would consider using them for touchups.

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
Approximately. For you for example? I've got no experience with them and would just like an estimate. Maybe I would consider using them for touchups.
I use a hair dryer alternating cool and warm for 4 minutes. Keep in mind if you don't go ultra thin with the adhesive, when you press it down, you will cause some to ooze out the front of the hairline.

The major benefit with ultrahold and Poly is that you can apply Is directly to the base brushing off of the edge which makes a seamless transition. You're not attempting to guess and lineup where lace is going to land.

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Why would anyone want to use hard bonds in that case? For what type of systems/in what scenarios might they use hard bonds?

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
Why would anyone want to use hard bonds in that case? For what type of systems/in what scenarios might they use hard bonds?
You can use it with any type of system. It's very simple... you're using crazy glue to attach it... crazy glue doesn't care what you're attaching. I have not known anyone that wants to personally. It is a method primarily used by contract hair clubs..... It minimizes maintenance for them, as part of your contract, and it maximizes the number of systems you have to get.. Less work for them, more money and more units. It's a business move, not done for the benefit client..... Alternatively I'm sure there's a small amount of people that do appreciate the fact that stays put for a month and they don't have to do anything on their own. But I don't believe you'd find them on this board

smoka123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Water based: white glue turns transparent when you let it dry. it also turns transparent on a banana. For most users, the most common thing. Easy to use, you see which areas you put it on. Seems to be skin-friendly. Maybe 100+ sorts of which you can choose from. Water soluble.
Examples: Pro Hair Labs Ghost Bond
Acrylic based: transparent glue. Pulls strings when attaching. Not water soluble. Some ingredients maybe harmful. (Heptan not allowed to sell in EU) I think more or less all tapes based on acryl. WRITE SOMETHING IF YOU KNOW TAPES WHICH ARE DIFFERENT !!!!
Examples: Walker Ultra Hold
Silicon based: transparent glue. Doens´t pull as much strings as acrylic. Not water soluble. I think all of them are skin save. Can last for 2-5
Examples: Vapon No Tape
Hard bond: never tried it and will never tried it

My story began 3 years ago. I had a skin thin system with water based glue. I went to the stylist, he give me hair and I was like WOW.
It really lasts 5 weeks on my head without problems. As I was new to it, I didn´t even have glue on my own.
Some month later, some systems later, my skin won´t accept the glue anymore. It was all red, wet because of allergic reaction. It came so quickly.
So I had to try different glues. I also had some contact with Ryan from PHL but nothing helped.
So I switched the completly turn around. Go from white glue to something else. And silicone worked for me.
But if I had to choose, I would use white glue.

Now I´m not an "Every-Day" wearer of hair system. I have some skin thin systems left. They´re about 3 years old now, and the hair quality is still good. The base, ok little breaks at the side but its ok. End of the year I will go to get some new pieces. Maybe Heydecke I don´t know. I don´t want to have perfect hairs, I think these systems with "Hair back" are not made for me. Just an everyday hairstyle thats ok.
Sorry for my english If I don´t get every word ok or understandable. I would write some more words but I think it´s too difficult for me to find the right meaning in english

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
What do you mean some pull strings while others don't. I've tried Walker Ultra-Hold as it was very stringly & messy - is that what you mean?

Fanjeera

Reaction score
You can use it with any type of system. It's very simple... you're using crazy glue to attach it... crazy glue doesn't care what you're attaching. I have not known anyone that wants to personally. It is a method primarily used by contract hair clubs..... It minimizes maintenance for them, as part of your contract, and it maximizes the number of systems you have to get.. Less work for them, more money and more units. It's a business move, not done for the benefit client..... Alternatively I'm sure there's a small amount of people that do appreciate the fact that stays put for a month and they don't have to do anything on their own. But I don't believe you'd find them on this board
Are they even transparent enough for scalp skin to show through in case of using lace?