What's the deal with Saw Palmetto?

TheEscapist

Established Member
Reaction score
Is there any benefit or reason to taking this as an alternative to Propecia?
Does it even make sense?

Some of you may know I got sides on Propecia. Since I stopped taking it, my hair has gotten drastically thinner. Is there any reason to think Saw Palmetto could be better or different?

I'm really pretty desperate here guys.

talmoode

Experienced Member
Reaction score

Wuffer

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Saw is a 5ARI, similar to finasteride. However, I don't think it's effectiveness has ever really been proven in a clinical study. I know there was a study done on men with BPH, but it failed to show that saw helped to treat it.

It probably has some weak 5ARI properties and may yield some small benefits for hair loss, but it's hard to say for certain. If you can't tolerate Propecia, it might be worth giving it a shot.

casperz

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Saw is a 5ARI, similar to finasteride. However, I don't think it's effectiveness has ever really been proven in a clinical study. I know there was a study done on men with BPH, but it failed to show that saw helped to treat it.

There are some studies on AA listed at the bottom of this page: http://www.follacure.com/t/saw-palmetto

AoR

Reaction score
I'm actually taking Saw Palmetto for some unrelated urinary issues...I have not expectation that it will help my hair, but if it does, I will report here!

Oddly enough, it seems to have increased my libido...