What's the best way to tell if a treatment is working?

mgdpublic

Reaction score
and don't say "if it's growing hair." What's the best way because I don't trust just casual observation.

TEST SUBJECT#1

Established Member
Reaction score
mgdpublic said:
and don't say "if it's growing hair." What's the best way because I don't trust just casual observation.

wha? "I dont trust casual observation?" what the hell does that mean. You dont believe your eyes?!

Axon

Reaction score
The best way, I suppose, would be to get your hair count taken somewhere.

I'm not sure how you'd go about that...maybe a specalist dermatologist could do it?

A bi-monthly (or less often) hair count would give a definitive answer.

Lizzad

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I supose it would be good to take webcam photos every month or so, and make sure you hair is at the same length at each occasion.

Point is, it may take a while for improvements to show, i had a shed, but now my hair is in GREAT shape. You may have to move a little backwards to move forewards.

And improvement is only possible on a small ammout of treatments. Theres a LOT OF USELESS TREATMENTS out there. What are you taking?

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
Photos every 6 months, ensuring the hair is the same length *and* color and that the photos are taken from the same angles, same distances, and in the same environment (preferrably as bright as possible).

Every month will drive you insane, as shedding can last a few months. The true test is how you do after 6 months and 1 year and 2 years down the road.

Those baseline photos will be your most prized posession as they will help you maintain your perspective on how you really haven't gotten any worse even though you think you have. Trust me that will be where your brain will try to take you.

Why photos instead of haircounts? Some might argue that the most important thing is how you look overall, not whether you've gone down by 3 hairs. No doubt, if someone looks at you and tells you that you're not losing your hair, that is the bottom line - even if you know you are.

HairLossTalk.com

Axon

Reaction score
Good advice HairLossTalk.com.

For the guys just getting started: Personally, I only have one baseline photo and it's only of my vertex at one angle in one hair style (combed forward; about 10 minutes after applying Minoxidil. Not my usual hairstyle, obviously.). I greatly regret not taking more, just to have the comparision on hand any time I'd like. Especially with the hairline.

Grantspots

Established Member
Reaction score
Feel. From inside. Anticipation.

When I first started the 3, I had almost immediate success in that the improvement of my existing hair in the first month was psychologically dramatic. Hair FELT thicker and fuller and appeared so too. This positive "feeling" carried me through the down months (2-6) when the improvement slowed to nothing and the whole thing became a waiting game.

Now it's one of anticipation. Of waiting for things to truly kick in, or not. All in all, after 7 months I am far better off than I was when I started so if nothing else happens - so be it, I'm happy. But honestly, I haven't seen any regrowth and the anticipation of that possibility is a great motivator.

jerry grant

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
By the way, Jerry wears a long white robe and sits on mountaintops every morning for 2 hours sending positive love thoughts to all the users of HairlossTalk, so posting here is half the battle.

:)

Grantspots

Established Member
Reaction score
chanting....ommmmmmmm, ommmmmmm.......

"oh nebokanoodleknuckler, god of hair, please bring wisdom, peace, patience and most importantly, the KNOWLEDGE of how to find the sticky to the FAQ section to all the good newbies who come here seeking the answers to their problems....may their vellous hairs grow strong."

jerry grant

flux

Experienced Member
Reaction score
One way you guys left out,. look for hairs getting thicker towards the root. While most change quite gradually, I have a few that are so drastically different that its obvious within a few weeks growth.

vodka by the gallon

Established Member
Reaction score
i know im a wierdo, but somtimes i look at my ID from like a year or 2 ago and see wear my hairline was and if it looks any better now dayz.