What's it really like going bald - the truth

T

TravisB

Actually, I think people do not give a f*ck about you. Everyone minds their own business. Do you think everyone on the street will point out a bald guy with a finger? Of course not. They just don't give a f*cking f*ck. Sylent is right, we should live our own life, and don't give a f*ck about anyone, because no one really gives a f*ck about us. Besides, a sight of bald/balding man is not anything special nowadays. A bald woman would be quite sensational, you would pay attention to her on the street. But eventually you will pass by and stop giving a f*ck and just continue minding your own business. UCman, I see you are constantly whining, although you are over 30 and are married. Are you a MAN or what?

HairPieceMan

Reaction score
actually I DO look at other bald men, just today i passed multiple bald men in street and in shops, many in 30s, they all looked crap, many had horshoe ffs.

bald men DO look wierd, it IS wierd for a caucasian man to not have a crown, there is a socailly unsetttiling feeling you get from them, just check pics of rob halford, it just looks socially a little bit "wierd" and unconventional.

it is suttle, but it IS there, altlough its minor, its not like baldism is as bad as racism, but it IS there, the lack of crown, its just a bit unnatural and a bit wierd.

im sure if you ask judas preiest fans if rob halford looks a little bit "wierd" with no hair they would admit it does look a little bit wierd and unnatural and would like him to have hair, if they had a lie detector to tell the truth.

so it IS there, people wish you had a crown becuase it's harder to socially interact with caucasian men without a crown, it jsut looks unnatural and throws facial symtrictry off balance a little bit.

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
TravisB said:
Actually, I think people do not give a f*ck about you. Everyone minds their own business. Do you think everyone on the street will point out a bald guy with a finger? Of course not. They just don't give a f*cking f*ck. Sylent is right, we should live our own life, and don't give a f*ck about anyone, because no one really gives a f*ck about us. Besides, a sight of bald/balding man is not anything special nowadays. A bald woman would be quite sensational, you would pay attention to her on the street. But eventually you will pass by and stop giving a f*ck and just continue minding your own business. UCman, I see you are constantly whining, although you are over 30 and are married. Are you a MAN or what?
As far as I'm concerned, my whining is justified based on my life experiences... not yours. And being neither thirty or in a relationship has anything to do with how I feel about the way people are starring at me in public. Totally unrelated. I've had people laugh in my face at the sight of my head. Do you know how humiliating that is? Do you understand how frustrating it is to have at least thirty percent of the people out there look at you like you are wearing adult diapers on the outside of your pants? It has nothing to do with being a man and everything to do with being a human being, you ***.

Again, this is the f*****g impact section on a hairloss forum. My views are perfectly at home here so quit trying to pretend like what I have to say doesn't belong here. THANKS.

HairPieceMan

Reaction score
people arent laughing at you beuase you're bald, baldness looks a little wierd and unnatural, but people arent "laughing" at rob halford nor billy corgan, its just a little wierd that is all.

its foolish to think people are against YOU becuase you are bald, if that is so how is smashing pumpkins and REM able to play gigs without people laughing at michael stipes face for his lack of crown.

its not THAT bad, but it is there, people do have disgust in you, but its way more suttle than you think,sometimes oyu take things too far, you are a little wierd for having no crown and not being black, that' it, you'll just havv to put up with it like corgan/stipe/halford etc.

Reaction score
REM are no more! :sobbing:

"I hope our fans realise this wasn't an easy decision; but all things must end, and we wanted to do it right, to do it our way," Stipe said as he announced the split. However, Stipe, 51, added that he was now looking forward to longer have to suffer the ignominy of fans laughing at his face at concerts because of the lack of crown. :woot:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-15012427

zb00st

Established Member
Reaction score
forget that sh*t, I've been thru this and if it wasnt that forum and all the info available here it would be much difficult for me. I think you should try to do what you can if you want of course. If you accept yourself without hair ok, if not do what you can about it but don't get depressed or come with that suicide bullshit and world end.

idkwia

Reaction score
Primo said:
HairPieceMan said:
21 year old women don't reject 35 year old men with NW1 hairlines

HPM, I appreciate that your personal experience has caused you to put an irrationally high premium on hair, but you shouldn't think for a second that all women share your fetish for NW1 hairlines.

Doesn't matter if the man is a NW1, if he has an average or ugly looking face, the woman will still reject him regardless of his hair position, most women will not even notice the difference between a NW1 and a NW2.5 (FACT) because they simply don't give a sh*t and are too busy focusing on the more important aspects of a man's face i.e. facial features, skin condition, bone structure, teeth.

The "you can't polish a turd" philosophy seems to be a very popular one on this forum, but if anything it probably applies more to the ugly NW1 because all the funky hairstyles in the world will never compensate for his ugly face.

If you visit any girls forum online which discusses men with baldness, nearly all women (barring a minority who retain a weird fetish for teenage looking boys into their older years) make this point, hair or lack of it, makes little difference if the guy is already ugly.

Nice one Primo, thank God there is someone else here who is talking sense along with me and Sylent.

I started this thread and my premise still remains: - I went bald early and I hated it and was really scared but as it turned out there were very few problems. I still had plenty of girlfriends and my mates certainly didn't desert me. Of course I would rather have had hair but the world did not end.
I am now 40 and very happy with a very attractive partner who is 7 years younger than me. She has only known me bald and thinks that it is sexy, she even gives what hair I do have a buzz cut every week. We were in a shop once and there were some hairpieces there which I was trying on for a laugh and although I admit they were not properly fitted for me my girlfriend was horrified at even the thought of me wearing a wig.
I am not black and I am not big with muscles I am just an average build white guy. Admittedly I am not famous but then nor is 99.999% of the rest of the population.
Most women are not that bothered by looks the most important thing to them is personality and how their man treats them, this is the truth.

HairPieceMan

Reaction score
well it's nice you found a woman that doesnt mind a bare crown shown to her.

but MOST women would literally SCREAM OUT LOUD if they saw brad pitt, robert patterson, tom cruise bald etc.

its VERY unnappealing to a lot of the population.

that iw why they put wigs on bald guys ALL THE f*****g TIME in movies and tv shows in anythign remotely visual in teh media.

IT'S REALLY OBVIOUS.

in fact, a lot of the time, a caucasian man being bald is the number 1 repulsive thing to a woman.

hell the 7 or so famous musicans bald look plain at best in comparison to themselves with hair. (stipe, satch, halford, all look amazing wth hair, and lack sexual power when bald)

sylent

Established Member
Reaction score
UC man, anyone that treats you like a second class citizen just for being bald arent even worth your time. Look at it this way, being bald is almost like a filter for you. Any person that gives you sh*t for being bald can be filtered out since they are scum to begin with.

Maybe where we live is different idk. I live in Atlantic province in Canada. From my experience the only people that treat bald men differently are either guy who are balding themselves or shallow women. To think that everyone cares about your baldness is also to think that the world revolves around you, which is not the case. To quote Tyler Durden:

"Listen up, maggots. You are not special. You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake. You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else."

People who pass you by on the street don't give a f*** about you, or your baldness. Why? Everyone is self absorbed. The only reason you are considered "the bald guy" is because its an easy, distinguishable feature, not meant to be harmful. I am usually refereed to as "that guy with the glasses". Why? Because its easy to distinguish.

I think to care this much about being bald you either had to:
a) Suffer severe depression before or after hair loss, causing you to blame all of your life's problems on it.
b) You were extremely vain, thinking you were gods gift to the earth before going bald. Having this one imperfection haunts you.

You seem like you started out as the latter, and later became the former. Baldness is by no means desirable but it is considered normal. You aren't burned, disfigured, short, obese, malformed, mutilated, etc. Consider yourself lucky. And you are even a handsome guy, baldness or not! I'm not even saying that to make you feel better, its true. I think if you keep with this attitude, when you are old and your health starts decaying you will say to yourself "why did I waste my youth worrying about baldness."

I don't want to change your mind, I know I never will. But I don't want other people coming onto this site believing your bullshit. You must be able to admit to yourself on a deeper level that your thoughts on this are severely flawed.

s.a.f

Reaction score
sylent said:
UC man, anyone that treats you like a second class citizen just for being bald arent even worth your time. Look at it this way, being bald is almost like a filter for you. Any person that gives you sh*t for being bald can be filtered out since they are scum to begin with.

Maybe where we live is different idk. I live in Atlantic province in Canada. From my experience the only people that treat bald men differently are either guy who are balding themselves or shallow women. To think that everyone cares about your baldness is also to think that the world revolves around you, which is not the case. To quote Tyler Durden:

"Listen up, maggots. You are not special. You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake. You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else."

People who pass you by on the street don't give a f*ck about you, or your baldness. Why?
Everyone is self absorbed. The only reason you are considered "the bald guy" is because its an easy, distinguishable feature, not meant to be harmful. I am usually refereed to as "that guy with the glasses". Why? Because its easy to distinguish.

I think to care this much about being bald you either had to:
a) Suffer severe depression before or after hair loss, causing you to blame all of your life's problems on it.
b) You were extremely vain, thinking you were gods gift to the earth before going bald. Having this one imperfection haunts you.

You seem like you started out as the latter, and later became the former. Baldness is by no means desirable but it is considered normal. You aren't burned, disfigured, short, obese, malformed, mutilated, etc. Consider yourself lucky. And you are even a handsome guy, baldness or not! I'm not even saying that to make you feel better, its true. I think if you keep with this attitude, when you are old and your health starts decaying you will say to yourself "why did I waste my youth worrying about baldness."

I don't want to change your mind, I know I never will. But I don't want other people coming onto this site believing your bullshit. You must be able to admit to yourself on a deeper level that your thoughts on this are severely flawed[/size].

Well ignoring the irony of someone who claims to not be worried about going bald but has somehow managed to find their way onto a hairloss site, join it and then make posts ..... :whistle:

Anyway this is 'The Impact of hairloss' section and if you read the print underneath the main title it says "a place to vent" UCman is simply letting off steam his inner thoughts. None of the guys on here are whining in public about it they are keeping it to themselves.

As you mentioned above 'people are self absorbed' thats why its only natural to care about how others percieve us. Its human nature to want to be accepted.
When I see a fat ugly guy I dont care about him or his life but I sure would'nt want to be him.
I admit that most (if not all) people on here have bigger issues than hairloss alone and thats why they are struggling to cope, but it is only natural to grieve the loss of a physical aspect to your appearance, hair does have a very real use as way of expressing personality (just as much as the clothes you wear) and to lose that will have some effect on your psyche how well you deal with that is another aspect.

T

TravisB

Yeah, I don't remember paying special attention to bald guys until I was aware of my hair problems too. It is all in your psyche. You pay attention to those things that are your complexes. I know it because I had other appearance related complexes once, and I was of course paying attention to it on the other guys. I think that balding for men is a complex similiar to cellulite, or big a$$ for women. It's a gender related thing and it happens. The thing is, women have better skill in hiding their insecurities, you would not detect in a converation what's her insecurity. You can though detect it in facebook photos, when she poses in some weird angles that make them look better :mrgreen:. Also, why would women do a makeup if they were so self-confident about their looks?

gascoigne

Established Member
Reaction score
sylent said:
I am one of the young guys you are talking about being 19 and a Norwood 2. The idea of baldness isnt a big deal to me, its baldness in my 20s that scares me because baldness = people automatically assuming you are 30+. I want to look young, while I'm young. If I found out today I would have Norwood 3 hair until I'm 30-35 I would breathe a huge sigh of releif.

However I never want to become what some people on this site have become. Letting baldness ruin your life is taking things too far. The only real consiquences of going bald are that you get slightly less attractive and you don't have a chance with 8/10+ young women. While the latter really sucks (especially at my age) I can get passed it. I can still do well in school, stay in shape, get a good job and attract women. Baldness definitley sucks but I think a lot of you take it wayyyy too far sometimes.

Before you say I don't know how it feels to be bald I think the feeling of simply going bald at 19 is comparable to being fully bald in your late 20s/early 30s.

There is the point! You cant get any 8+ (1-19) women!

gascoigne

Established Member
Reaction score
Primo said:
HairPieceMan said:
21 year old women don't reject 35 year old men with NW1 hairlines

HPM, I appreciate that your personal experience has caused you to put an irrationally high premium on hair, but you shouldn't think for a second that all women share your fetish for NW1 hairlines.

Doesn't matter if the man is a NW1, if he has an average or ugly looking face, the woman will still reject him regardless of his hair position, most women will not even notice the difference between a NW1 and a NW2.5 (FACT) because they simply don't give a sh*t and are too busy focusing on the more important aspects of a man's face i.e. facial features, skin condition, bone structure, teeth.

The "you can't polish a turd" philosophy seems to be a very popular one on this forum, but if anything it probably applies more to the ugly NW1 because all the funky hairstyles in the world will never compensate for his ugly face.

If you visit any girls forum online which discusses men with baldness, nearly all women (barring a minority who retain a weird fetish for teenage looking boys into their older years) make this point, hair or lack of it, makes little difference if the guy is already ugly.

That is what i am trying to say all the time !!!!!!!
If guy looks 4-5/10, it DOESENT MATTER if he have or have not his hair!
If guy look 8-9, baldness detorates his look to 5-6!

idkwia

Reaction score
Gascoigne - I started this thread. I experienced going bald at a young age and now in my 40s I can speak with authority on this subject and you my friend are wrong and Primo is so right.

If people wallow in their own self pity then they will never be attractive to any woman that is worth having.

gascoigne

Established Member
Reaction score
idkwia said:
Gascoigne - I started this thread. I experienced going bald at a young age and now in my 40s I can speak with authority on this subject and you my friend are wrong and Primo is so right.

If people wallow in their own self pity then they will never be attractive to any woman that is worth having.

Idkvia, i know that. I dont said that you are not right.
I just sad that it is mentaly harder for men who rely very much on his look to loss hair, then to man who didnt used his look as sort of social weapon.

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
Can I ask you a question gascoigne? Why do Persians love Armani Xchange so much? :dunno:

gascoigne

Established Member
Reaction score
uncomfortable man said:
Can I ask you a question gascoigne? Why do Persians love Armani Xchange so much? :dunno:
Can you explain your question to me please?
English is not ma mother-language .