What would you say I am on the Norwood scale? (Pictures)

toocoolforhair

Established Member
Reaction score
I am not really sure how far I am on the Norwood scale. My hair is pretty thick all over, except for the temples that are receding. I have no baldspot. Would you say I am a norwood 3?

RightSide.jpg
LeftSide.jpg

Front.jpg

s.a.f

Reaction score
Closer to a 2 than a 3.

toocoolforhair

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I think it looks like a 3, but if you say 2 then I'll go with that. My hairline's been receding for the past 6 years so I figured it'd be more advanced than a 2.

Hammer87 said:
I'd say a 2. Has the hairline got higher in the centre?
I have always had a high hairline. I haven't noticed any change in the centre part. The hair there is still as thick as the hair on the sides.

Hammer87

Established Member
Reaction score
Doesn't even look close to a Norwood 3 in my opinion, although I'm not very good with the scale.

Looks good shaved, just out of interest did you try treatment first (And if so, what treatments and what extent was the success) before you shaved it? Or just shaved it and accepted it (Best way in my opinion)

antonio666

Reaction score
you are 100% norwood 2 as close to a 1 as a 3,if you think that you are a norwood 3 then you have serios issues,how thick is your hair when grown out

Avery

Established Member
Reaction score
I never understood why people need to know their Norwood level. Is someone giving out money depending on your number or something?

Hammer87

Established Member
Reaction score
I get the impression from toocoolforhair from your other posts that you haven't used treatment?

Either way I'd take great comfort in that 6 years of hairloss it's only at the stage that it's at! I've seen guys go from NW1 to thinning in a NW6 pattern in that time.

toocoolforhair

Established Member
Reaction score
Hammer87 said:
Doesn't even look close to a Norwood 3 in my opinion, although I'm not very good with the scale.

Looks good shaved, just out of interest did you try treatment first (And if so, what treatments and what extent was the success) before you shaved it? Or just shaved it and accepted it (Best way in my opinion)
I didn't try any treatments because I was always skeptical that they'd work and I don't like spending money on things with no guarantee of success. I suppose the only treatment I did buy was a hair clipper set and I've been using it the past three years. However, it's only just recently that I've been buzzing it short every two weeks. I used to shave it to a grade 2 then let it grow for a few months because I never used to take the clippers to university with me. When it was medium-length I looked like Nicholas Cage/Jack Nicholson (in terms of the hairline).

toocoolforhair

Established Member
Reaction score
antonio666 said:
you are 100% norwood 2 as close to a 1 as a 3,if you think that you are a norwood 3 then you have serios issues,how thick is your hair when grown out
I think I chose to take these pictures at a bad time. I took these pictures yesterday right after I'd just freshly buzzed my hair to a grade 1 again. The problem with that is the thinning temple hair blends in with my thick hair. When I grow my hair longer I think I look more like a Norwood 3 as the thinning hair doesn't look like a part of my hairline.

toocoolforhair

Established Member
Reaction score
Avery said:
I never understood why people need to know their Norwood level. Is someone giving out money depending on your number or something?
I wanted to know so I could use it in future messages e.g. "I am a norwood 2 and...". It is just a point of reference.

toocoolforhair

Established Member
Reaction score
Hammer87 said:
I get the impression from toocoolforhair from your other posts that you haven't used treatment?

Either way I'd take great comfort in that 6 years of hairloss it's only at the stage that it's at! I've seen guys go from NW1 to thinning in a NW6 pattern in that time.
I'm not really sure what is going to happen with my hairline. It's kind of hard to know based on the other male members in my family. I have two older half-brothers (different father), one is Norwood 7, the other one is Norwood 3. The Norwood 7 is 30 and the Norwood 3 is 35. My dad is like a Norwood 5, but he only started balding in his forties. My uncle (on the mother's side) became a diffuse thinner from the age of 18, but the weird thing is, he's now in his late fifties and his hair is still the same. You'd think he'd have lost it all by now. My younger brother (aged 19) now has a receding hairline as well and it is worse than mine. I have no idea what the future holds based on all of this.