What Would I Be Classified On A Norwood Scale? Mature or male pattern baldness

cjeznine

Reaction score
Hello, Im sorry if this is being added into the wrong section, this is my first post. I am 19 years old and over the last 2 years ive notived my perfectly straight hairline has evolved into what ever it is currently.

I was hoping to get some opinions here. Would this be classified as a Mature Hairline or the early stages of male pattern baldness? Also what would you classify me as on a norwood scale?

I will also add I have not experienced any loss on my crown area!

Thank you! :woot:

Attachments

• hur2.jpg
    hur2.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 1,456
  • hur.jpg
    hur.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 230
  • hur3.jpg
    hur3.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 1,450

skelll

Established Member
Reaction score
I would consider it receding, I dont buy into the mature hair loss because if it receded... Well then its receding otherwise it wouldnt have receded. I wouldnt worry to much as you still look to have a good head of hair, finasteride can maybe prevent or slow down a receding hair loss.

slurms mackenzie

Established Member
Reaction score
Looking, at it I'd say that's an early stage 2, that doesn't mean further loss is inevitable, but that's where you're at.

cjeznine

Reaction score
sir chugalot said:
Looking, at it I'd say that's an early stage 2, that doesn't mean further loss is inevitable, but that's where you're at.

Would a 2 be considered bad? I really dont know a whole lot about hairloss other then hair styling seem impossible now lol. I spoke to my doctor about Propecia but he said he would not prescribe me any until im at least 25! Are there any other products available over the counter that can help? I know rogaine but I heard it would do no good for my hairline.

slurms mackenzie

Established Member
Reaction score
cjeznine said:
sir chugalot said:

Would a 2 be considered bad? I really dont know a whole lot about hairloss other then hair styling seem impossible now lol. I spoke to my doctor about Propecia but he said he would not prescribe me any until im at least 25! Are there any other products available over the counter that can help? I know rogaine but I heard it would do no good for my hairline.

Well it's hard to know whether it's bad, I mean i could live with hair like that ! I'm sure most people on here could, there's probably a lot more people with hair like yours than you realise but a lot of the time they grow it longer and part it to the sides.

anyhoo it's probably your future you want, predictions are a tricky game it could just stop where it is! The fact that it's moved over the last two years makes me think that it could move a bit more , your best bet would be to see a dermatologist though.

In terms of treatments, your doctor might be being a bit conservative when he suggests you have to wait till your 25 before going on propecia, if propecia was the road you went down, most doctors would prescribe it at 21, perhaps some before but that's a grey area.

In terms of minoxidil, well it's just not been clinically approved by the FDA for hair at the temples, many people have got results from it, please bear in mind it doesn't interfere with the balding process it's more like a turbo boost for your hair, once you stop using it you're back to where you where originally.

propecia and minoxidil together with one other item Nizoral formed what people call the big 3 of hairloss treatments, nizoral is a shampoo that might be worth adding if you can get hold of it. Try doing a search on nizoral + hair loss, it's not really strong enough as a standalone treatement though.

You mighty want to investigate a topical anti-androgen, check out the anti androgens section on this website, you'd want to investigate things like revivogen, topical spironolactone and ru etc.

It might also help to get some more opinions as tackling hair loss can be quite a commitment, so you don't want to be wasting your time or money.

That said many people successfully fight hair loss.

cjeznine

Reaction score
sir chugalot said:
cjeznine said:
[quote="sir chugalot":1kvpoeoj]Looking, at it I'd say that's an early stage 2, that doesn't mean further loss is inevitable, but that's where you're at.

Well it's hard to know whether it's bad, I mean i could live with hair like that ! I'm sure most people on here could, there's probably a lot more people with hair like yours than you realise but a lot of the time they grow it longer and part it to the sides.

anyhoo it's probably your future you want, predictions are a tricky game it could just stop where it is! The fact that it's moved over the last two years makes me think that it could move a bit more , your best bet would be to see a dermatologist though.

In terms of treatments, your doctor might be being a bit conservative when he suggests you have to wait till your 25 before going on propecia, if propecia was the road you went down, most doctors would prescribe it at 21, perhaps some before but that's a grey area.

In terms of minoxidil, well it's just not been clinically approved by the FDA for hair at the temples, many people have got results from it, please bear in mind it doesn't interfere with the balding process it's more like a turbo boost for your hair, once you stop using it you're back to where you where originally.

propecia and minoxidil together with one other item Nizoral formed what people call the big 3 of hairloss treatments, nizoral is a shampoo that might be worth adding if you can get hold of it. Try doing a search on nizoral + hair loss, it's not really strong enough as a standalone treatement though.

You mighty want to investigate a topical anti-androgen, check out the anti androgens section on this website, you'd want to investigate things like revivogen, topical spironolactone and ru etc.

It might also help to get some more opinions as tackling hair loss can be quite a commitment, so you don't want to be wasting your time or money.

That said many people successfully fight hair loss.[/quote:1kvpoeoj]

Thanks for the help ill definatly check out everything you suggested. The thing that puzzles me is how fast this happened. When I was 16 I had a perfect hairline I noticed this in May 2010 and since then it has stayed firm in place no receding since. I decided id take a look at where i was and see how much i lost over one year that year just passed and ive lost no more since which is why I asked if it was a mature hairline what do you think about that? Sorry to be so needy this just gives me the creeps!

slurms mackenzie

Established Member
Reaction score
cjeznine said:
Thanks for the help ill definatly check out everything you suggested. The thing that puzzles me is how fast this happened. When I was 16 I had a perfect hairline I noticed this in May 2010 and since then it has stayed firm in place no receding since. I decided id take a look at where i was and see how much i lost over one year that year just passed and ive lost no more since which is why I asked if it was a mature hairline what do you think about that? Sorry to be so needy this just gives me the creeps!

No probs, it's right to ask that kind of question, when i was around 19 i never really paid attention to peoples hairlines, only when i reached 25 and my crown started going a bit thin, what i will say there are people I know with hairlines like yours which seem to have kept them for years without any treatment, remember that's just an opinion though i can't back any of that up with cold hard facts!

I guess the thing to do now is just closely monitor the situation and see what happens, if you lose further hair then you've a good chance of getting it back providing you act within two years (the sooner the better).

cjeznine

Reaction score
sir chugalot said:
cjeznine said:

No probs, it's right to ask that kind of question, when i was around 19 i never really paid attention to peoples hairlines, only when i reached 25 and my crown started going a bit thin, what i will say there are people I know with hairlines like yours which seem to have kept them for years without any treatment, remember that's just an opinion though i can't back any of that up with cold hard facts!

I guess the thing to do now is just closely monitor the situation and see what happens, if you lose further hair then you've a good chance of getting it back providing you act within two years (the sooner the better).
Alright thanks so much you've been a great help! :)

BulletFrost

Reaction score
You're about a NW2, but I think your hair looks fine for now. Keep an eye on your crown and watch for thinning. Once you notice the thinning start, I'd start taking finasteride or dutasteride.

I'm a college student and a lot of students my age have hairlines like yours, and some have it worse! Try growing some bangs to cover the recession if it bothers you, then you just need to wait. :)

abcdefg

Reaction score
The norwood scale is stupid so lets just ignore that. That scale would say your 2 but what does that really mean? It all depends on was your hair line straight or was it always like that? If it was straight you lost a lot of hair and since growing hair back is about impossible now and its not possible to predict future I dont understand why you would not try propecia or something to get some back and keep what you have.

Danik0226

Reaction score
It looks like you may have receded, but going off the side photo it seems rather covered. Then again this could be some good use of combing the sides forward to cover the spot. Just keep an eye on it and look for signs like shedding and easiest of all an itchy scalp. You never know what will happen with hair loss. I had lots of fine hair as a kid that could have been mistaken as thick hair given the number. I may have noticed a little more shedding in high school, but my hair had full coverage and was very thick. In college it stayed the same for the most part, but when I graduated college I noticed that my hair line was receding on one side. It proceeded to recede very slowly for a few years after that, and then I had a very dramatic bout of diffuse thinning around 25. It wasn't until the diffuse thinning that I got on finasteride and propecia because the recession was so slow and no one thought I was balding.

Propecia really hasn't done anything in the way of growth, although it seems to have done a decent job at holding the line. At the beginning of this summer I added in minoxidil to hopefully thicken things up. I was reluctant to use it at first because I didn't notice a really large amount of diffuse thinning until I had sun poisoning in Costa Rica a year ago that required the use of a high dose of prednisone. After months and months, I came to the conclusion that it was not coming back on its own, although hopefully I'm wrong.

The addition of minoxidil has created some baby hairs to fill in the slight recession that I have at the hair line, and they continue to add up. I may be able to restore the line, although that was hardly a concern to begin with compared to the diffuse thinning. Other than that I would highly recommend Nizoral shampoo. I used it during college because it was easy and could be a mild help for hair loss. My only regret is that because it removes oil so well it has a very cosmetic way of thickening hair to the point where you feel like the hair is getting thicker. While I have seen studies that show Nizoral thickens hair, don't confuse that with the fact that less oil gives the hair a look of more volume.

My advice is the following:

1. Use Nizoral two to three times a week because it is the easiest thing to do for now and it is not expensive by any means. Choose a baseline that best represents your hair. I would recommend noting what your hair looks like when wet given Nizoral can give a favorable cosmetic look on top of helping with hair loss.

2. If you notice you are losing ground then jump on finasteride and minoxidil immediately. I would not waste any time because maintaining is rather simple compared to regrowing. I feel like many actors are able to get away with keeping their hair for long periods of time by preemptively starting finasteride or other products.

3. If cost is an issue then consider taking as little as .25 mg to .5 mg per day of finasteride, and minoxidil at night. My prescription of propecia would be $30 a month at .5 mg and $15 a month at .25 mg. I would probably not drop below .5 mg per day if you ever end up looking to regrow hair. While some may disagree, I don't think that using .25 mg of finasteride as a preemptive measure would be that bad of an idea at the cost of $15 a month. The biggest hurdle would probably be convincing your doctor to prescribe it.