What will you do when male pattern baldness catches up with your treatments ?

Cassin

Reaction score
Its going to happen...to each and every one of us.

I was thinking about this today when I placed another order from Dr Lee...

In February 2010 I will have been on nizoral + minoxidil + finasteride for about 7 years to amazing results. My hairloss stopped in its tracks, I thickened up greatly and regrew a bit. About as good as results as we should expect on average although not outstanding like some get.

I figure I should reasonably get another 3 years out of this regimen before my hair goes to visible hell again...who knows...

I am a minimalist when it comes to treatments... I take finasteride about 5 days a week, use minoxidil once a day and Nizoral once a week so I figure when things go downhill I have a little ammo to buy me a little time. I can double my finasteride dose, use minoxidil in the am and add in something like Dr Proctors or a stronger Dr Lees once a day but I think that is as far as I will go. dutasteride scares the hell out of me and so does some of the experimental treatments people use like Oral spironolactone.

Slowly as time goes on I am accepting male pattern baldness more and more. I used to live under a ball cap once upon a time and as I sit here I don't think I have worn one for two years. I have a buzz cut Norwood 3 so I for sure don't care if people can tell if I am losing it. I used to be terrified of people seeing my hair and it caused me untold anxiety so for those of you who think they will never get over it, things may change. I'm pretty sure I'm just going to shave it and move on. Toupees and hair transplant's just don't seem too appealing to me.

just random thoughts....

patagonia

Established Member
Reaction score
Ive thought of this as well. Started treatments 2 years ago and glad I was patient. I am very pleased with my results so far. The loss stopped , overall thickening, almost to my thickest hair years point, and continues to do so, plus moderate regrowth....enough for a bunch of people to tell me: "why are you taking hairloss meds? "

My temples and hairline remain my weak spots but im ok with it overall. My regimen:

.50 finas ED
shampoo:
keto 2% 5x week,
PO 4-5x week,
nano 4x week
essential oils and other extracts mix 5-6x week (leave on a few hours before night shower)
Folligen/Tricomin 4-5 x week

No sides form this regimen and very easy to stick to which is important IMO. I'll add minoxidil in the future when I feel is necessary. For now im OK without it. Theres also room to up my finas dose if I need to.

fromchicago

Established Member
Reaction score
i don't know. every day you're one day closer to dying and it matters less. it's just more acceptable when you're older. ease me in.

Nashville Hairline

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Yeah I was thinking the other day while the treatments will probably not be successful in the long run they (and some discussions of this forum) at least have bought me time in getting used to the idea of being bald. Like you I have other things I could try - I dont even take finasteride right now. Wigs and hair transplant's dont appeal to me either.

But I still want to keep fighting it for now - I feel I may as well cos you never know, some proper, great treatment might come along soon.

cuebald

Reaction score
I'm trialling out some experimental treatments to buy me some time, but even then, the most potent 5ar inhibitors in the world probably won't make me keep all of my hair forever.

The only real long term solution is acceptance, really.
Don't think I'll get a hair transplant either. I don't think they're "ready" yet, the look always looks like "hair transplant-hair", as if you can only have that one hairstyle (the one every man who's had a hair transplant has)

WhatYouEgg

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm still well within NW2-land and I have yet to start treatments at 27. I've only just started Nizoral as my derm actually refused to prescribe propecia because I didn't have enough miniaturization yet. I guess I'll be able to remain a NW2 for at least 5 years while I'm still on finasteride.. then when it wakes up again, get some hair transplants to replace whatever I'm losing.. and hopefully, 15 years down the road and I can't keep up with hair transplants, cloning or something better will be here. who knows if I'll even get that far though.

jonsie150

Established Member
Reaction score
ive been on finasteride for about 3 years, but hadn't started on the big 3 until last march. the results have been ok. but seeing as how the thickness fluctuates (i've gone through a couple big shed-and-regrows) i think i have only 4-5 years max of decent hair.

im hoping that once it catches up, there'll be other options on the market. i think the majority agrees that something new will pop up by 2015. maybe not a cure, but something effective and different. we've been making some strides in the science for the past couple years

WhatYouEgg

Established Member
Reaction score
cuebald said:
I'm trialling out some experimental treatments to buy me some time, but even then, the most potent 5ar inhibitors in the world probably won't make me keep all of my hair forever.

The only real long term solution is acceptance, really.
Don't think I'll get a hair transplant either. I don't think they're "ready" yet, the look always looks like "hair transplant-hair", as if you can only have that one hairstyle (the one every man who's had a hair transplant has)

what hairstyle are you talking about? the one where all the hair is combed backwards? I just want to keep my bangs, and if an hair transplant would let me do that, then so be it.

haunted-ballroom

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Ive thought about this alot and once my hair starts to thin again im going to shave it down really close and just try get on with it. Not much left to do really.

Petchsky

Reaction score
I've been on the big 3 about the same amount of time as you cassin. Got a H/T ten months ago, which i'm very happy with although the big 3 was and still is holding me steady, and I have better hair now at 29 than I did at 21.

If things get worse i'll probably add spironolactone or proxyphen, and/or get another h/t, although I don't think i'll need one for a good while.

zb00st

Established Member
Reaction score
We'll continue with our lifes. Thats what we'll do. And still wonder for a cure but I'm sure it won't be as bad if we can't find any.

ali777

Reaction score
Cassin said:
Slowly as time goes on I am accepting male pattern baldness more and more.

^^^
That's what I'm gonna do.....

Seriously, we ain't spring chicken anymore. I care about my appearance, but I don't get out of my way to look good...

I've been very sedentary lately, and my body has been complaining from lack of exercise. Keeping the body in shape is more important than the cosmetic stuff, we need to maintain our health and make sure we last as long as possible...

So to make up for the lazy month, this weekend I'm gonna go out and get drunk :whistle:. Next week I'll start exercising 3 times a week again :dunno:

zeroheat

Established Member
Reaction score
I think I'll get more comfortable with my balding hair as I age. No one really cares when you are bald at 40's. I'm just hoping for finasteride/nizoral/minoxidil etc to hold it for maybe 10-15 yrs.

ali777

Reaction score
zeroheat said:
I think I'll get more comfortable with my balding hair as I age. No one really cares when you are bald at 40's. I'm just hoping for finasteride/nizoral/minoxidil etc to hold it for maybe 10-15 yrs.

The thing is 40 isn't really old. A 40 yo maybe wiser, calmer, and more accepting of his environment but he still feels young.

A 40 yo old cares about his looks, it's just that he accepts the differences in life.

Maelstrom

Established Member
Reaction score
Boy this thread has depressed me! It makes it sound as if all our efforts will be for nothing. I know hope is one thing that helps keep me going - hope that the treatments I've started will actually work to some degree and hope that there will be new treatments out in a few years time. I don't ever want to be a NW6-7!