What will last longer and look better on a parting - bleached knots (lace) or skin?

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi, I have a custom long haired system (around 10 - 12 inches), all Swiss lace, which I usually put in a central parting. For my next custom system I am considering having the central parting area either as bleached knots or skin to make it look more realistic. It looks fine at the moment, you can't really notice the knots in the parting especially as it isn't a wide parting, but several months down the line after some shedding they might be more noticeable.

Anyway the questions - I would like to know if asking for bleached knots or skin on a parting is a good idea. Does it weaken the system and/or affect the lifespan of it? I've heard that bleaching knots also weakens the knots, therefore they shed faster. I've also heard skin doesn't last as long as lace, so which would last longer in a parting? And which would look the most realistic? I just thought it would be a good experiment to try for my next system.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
As an alternative to bleached knots, ask for "dye after", that is where they use blond hair for the hairline, and dye the rest of the hair to match.

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
As an alternative to bleached knots, ask for "dye after", that is where they use blond hair for the hairline, and dye the rest of the hair to match.

Not sure I understand. So you mean they first bleach the system, then they dye it blonde, then dye it the colour I want (medium brown, #5)? How will that stop the knots being undetectable, are they dyed blonde too?

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Not sure I understand. So you mean they first bleach the system, then they dye it blonde, then dye it the colour I want (medium brown, #5)? How will that stop the knots being undetectable, are they dyed blonde too?
They make your system with #5, except for the hairline where they use natural blonded hair, which is "dyed after" to be #5. They don't dye the underside of the system... only the top... so you get the same effect as bleaching the knots (underside) but with stronger hair.

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
They make your system with #5, except for the hairline where they use natural blonded hair, which is "dyed after" to be #5. They don't dye the underside of the system... only the top... so you get the same effect as bleaching the knots (underside) but with stronger hair.

Is that because the knots of blonde hair are blonde too, therefore not visible? And presumably if I wanted this effect on the parting, they'd have to dye the whole of the hair blonde and then dye it #5 after that?

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Is that because the knots of blonde hair are blonde too, therefore not visible? And presumably if I wanted this effect on the parting, they'd have to dye the whole of the hair blonde and then dye it #5 after that?
Using blond hair effectively makes the knots invisible the same way bleaching does.

If you want the effect on the parting... then they do the parting the same way they would do a hairline.

Again, nothing is DYED BLONDE... they use naturally blond hair.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score