What Treatments Have Worked For You?

Cindy

My Regimen
Reaction score
30F and started loosing hair since the 9th grade. Started really worrying about my hair loss when I was in my early to mid twenties.
Below are the things that I've tried over the years. I finally found something that worked for me so I just wanted to share my experiences. Skip to bullets 3 and 4 if this post is too long for you!

1) Liquid Rogaine for women (2% minoxidil) - Noticed less hair shed in 2 days but made my hair too oily so I would never use it. Not recommended.

2) Foam Rogaine for women (5% minoxidil) - I experienced significant shedding within the 1st week of using it and almost quit, but after the 1st week the shedding stopped. The foam helped and it wasn't greasy so I was able to use it every day after my morning routine. I would say it cuts the shedding by about 40-50% but not completely. I count the hairs that I lose in the shower and with the foam Rogaine (I try to wash my hair very gently in the showers so I don't lose more) but I lose about 10-15 hairs in the shower and then a bunch more while brushing and throughout the day.

There was a period of time in my life where I had skipped 1-2 days of Rogaine on the weekends just because I was busy or my schedule and routine was out of wack, I did this for about 1-2 weeks and didn't notice much difference so thought it I was safe but after about 3rd week of doing that I could notice that my hair started falling out more. Don't be like me! Maybe missing 1 day might not be so bad but definitely don't miss more than 1 day in a row, you might not see it right away but I really felt that came back to kick me after a few weeks.

3) Lately I've been trying Minoxidol + Finasteride liquid blends and I feel that it's really helping. I bought Morr F off ebay and have gone through 2 bottles already, it stinks, and it makes your hair greasy but it works. I only recommend it at night when you're alone so no one can see or smell your hair=/ I've also tried Minoxidilmax which is great because it doesn't smell and has a higher concentration of Minoxidil but if you put too much it will make your hair crunchy(?), almost like hairspray or hair gel if you put too much. I've been alternating between those two plus the Foam Rogaine depending on where I'm going or who I'm seeing that day. So far I really like the results.

4) This is the holy grail for me, it's not FDA approved for women so just warning that it may come with health risks. I've been taking Finesteride tablets (Propacia) 1mg daily and it has literally stopped my hair loss. Like, completely stopped it. I took my first tablet around noon and the next day when I went for my morning shower there was no hair loss (maybe like 5 strands?). I was SHOCKED that it worked so fast. I didn't think that there would be such a big difference between topical and oral Finasteride but I was completely wrong. I had seen some forums where some women said that their dermatologists would prescribe Propacia for "off label" use and it worked so I got curious. I'm not proud of it but I got a 1 month supply from my pharmacist friend just to try it. It worked so well that I plan on booking an appointment with a dermatologist to see if I can get legit prescriptions moving forward. I'm really excited about this and although it's probably sounds a bit sketchy I did look into some studies in India where women were given Finasteride so it's giving me hope. Anyways this was a long post but I just wanted to share my experience. Let me know if any of you guys try it and what your results are! Again, please do your research on oral Finasteride and consult a doctor before you try! I just hope that you guys get the same results that I got=)

Sam1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey so glad to hear that you found something that works for you!! Please keep us posted on the Finesterside.
I’d be willing to try it as well. I cannot touch minoxidil/ Rogaine due to side effects of heart palpitations- I had low blood pressure to begin with and Rogaine made it worse.

Again please keep us posted!,

Cindy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey so glad to hear that you found something that works for you!! Please keep us posted on the Finesterside.
I’d be willing to try it as well. I cannot touch minoxidil/ Rogaine due to side effects of heart palpitations- I had low blood pressure to begin with and Rogaine made it worse.

Again please keep us posted!,

Thank-you so much! I really feel for you with the low blood pressure, I have slightly low blood pressure, nothing noticeable but once in a blue moon the Rogaine will give me headaches when I put too much on. I can't imagine how it would be if my blood pressure stopped me from using Rogaine=( I'm really looking to see if anyone has a story similar to mine and I'll definitely keep everyone posted with the Finasteride!

priyanka j

My Regimen
Reaction score
hi ladies

I was just was wanting to start a thread dedicated to what has worked to stop or regrow hair for ladies with Androgenetic Alopecia. We all know that minoxidil helps to grow hair but won’t stop hairloss, so maybe let’s get into antiandrogens, topical or oral. What dose are you taking? How often? How long have you been taking this? Did you have sheds? What was the effectiveness - hair maintenance/stoppage of loss or regrowth? Also, what other topicals or other treamtnents you have benefited from.
I feel home remedies is the best way to stop hair fall. Here are few home remedies for hair fall you must try today:
- the juice of garlic pods and coconut oil aids hair growth and controls hair fall.
- Olive oil, aloe vera, and onion juice
- Beetroot juice and henna leaves
If you want me to help with the recipes, please let me know. :cool:;)

Shanaya Sharma

My Regimen
Reaction score
Had a hair transplant last year in a famous hair transplant clinic called Aesthetica Aesthetic & Cosmetics Pvt. Ltd. in Bhubaneswar. This clinic was famous for its hair loss treatment.

Advanced Bio FUE, which stands for follicular unit extraction, is a popular & advanced method of hair transplantation. In bio FUE, each follicular unit is extracted from donor area and implanted into the recipient area. This is a more advanced technique in comparison to FUT. In FUE, individual follicular units are removed with the help of punches of sizes ranging in diameter from 0.6-1.25mm. The follicles thus extracted are implanted one by one on the frontal bald area. This gives a more natural look and avoids a linear scar.

Georgie

My Regimen
Reaction score
Glad to hear that finasteride worked for you Cindy. That’s very fortunate. I myself have taken dutasteride (stronger version of finasteride), and every anti androgen that you can think of. I’m also on estrogen. Hormones don’t help me. Also, minoxidil makes me shed worse. All the time, and synchronised my hair growth and loss so that I only grow hair for a few months at a time. Basically I’m f**ked.

ButWhyTho

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
^ Have you tried seeing an endocrinologist? Have you ruled out hypothyroidism or Hashimoto's disease? If it's not hormonal then it may be auto immune. Might want to consult a rheumatologist...

Georgie

My Regimen
Reaction score
^ Have you tried seeing an endocrinologist? Have you ruled out hypothyroidism or Hashimoto's disease? If it's not hormonal then it may be auto immune. Might want to consult a rheumatologist...
Yes and yes. I went through menopause at 20, something I hate talking about anymore.

Dr. Satya Saraswat

My Regimen
Reaction score
Although diet, genetics, stress, ageing, and pollution among others are responsible for hair loss, it can be overcome by using the latest hair transplant procedure, preferably at the Saraswat Hospital in Agra. Use techniques like FUE/FUT, oral medication (Finasteride), topical hair solution (Minoxidil), mesotherapy, derma rollers, and platelet-rich plasma.

Marion

My Regimen
Reaction score
Peggy it really comes down to your genetics and your current hormonal profile. If you haven't already, i would get a full blood workup done. Even if your androgens come back "normal" it's still a good idea to get on a good AA. Spironolactone is usually the first one prescribed to females. Otherwise, your options are cyproterone acetate, flutamide, and bicalutamide. Sadly if you intend to get pregnant, you will have to stay away from finasteride and dutasteride, although to be fair there's not a lot of evidence to show that these are particularly helpful for female pattern alopecia. I would first see what spironolactone or maybe CPA does for you, and later add minoxidil if you need it. You may even see about opting for a topical anti androgen like RU58841. I personally don't hold much faith in LLLT, but you might like to try it anyway.
I was just prescribed spironolactone but haven’t started yet because I just had exosomes therapy and a little prp in late January and it helped. I’m 61 but losing since 17 (started with bulky hair thank god). At this point powders work but it’s getting harder to conceal scalp. Exosomes may have bought me a few years and now praying spironolactone works for me. My hair has also gotten very brittle and breaking off like crazy (or is that growth?). I’m obviously post menopause and also on oral estradiol for hot flashes but won’t go off cuz it also helps maintain hair. Curious to read about other options.

Balding_girl

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've tried everything but minoxidil 5% or 8% and finasteride orally 1mg plus mesotherapy. Prp definitely boosts my hair growth same as taking alot of supplements but i found the key point for me was using finasteride as it reverses the minaturisation for me.

Diannet

My Regimen
Reaction score
This thread echoes my pain, and long journey to find something that works. My alopecia is from DHT (polycystic ovaries and now post-menopausal) but also blood thinning medication Eliquis. Definitely looking for a non-drug solution here...
I'm a scientist with a medical research background so I tend to go for the top peer-reviewed journals first. I was looking up stuff to 'de-age' my sun-damaged skin when I found something that really made me sit up and take notice, both for my skin and my hair! I'm about to start on it, with more enthusiasm than before. There's a scientific paper in the Annals of Dermatology about a hormone/protein called Klotho that is involved in anti- ageing, and... prolongs human hair growth!

The authors conclude: “These results indicate that klotho might be an important regulatory factor for human hair growth and hair cycle change.
Klotho’s not cheap, but from the research I believe it will definitely be worth it, so I’m going to go for it.
Anyone want to join me in this experiment? This is where I’ll be getting mine, because I’ve talked to the owner of the business and trust him:
https://www.buckylabs.com/klotho-2/

HelloKoko

My Regimen
Reaction score
This thread echoes my pain, and long journey to find something that works. My alopecia is from DHT (polycystic ovaries and now post-menopausal) but also blood thinning medication Eliquis. Definitely looking for a non-drug solution here...
I'm a scientist with a medical research background so I tend to go for the top peer-reviewed journals first. I was looking up stuff to 'de-age' my sun-damaged skin when I found something that really made me sit up and take notice, both for my skin and my hair! I'm about to start on it, with more enthusiasm than before. There's a scientific paper in the Annals of Dermatology about a hormone/protein called Klotho that is involved in anti- ageing, and... prolongs human hair growth!

The authors conclude: “These results indicate that klotho might be an important regulatory factor for human hair growth and hair cycle change.
Klotho’s not cheap, but from the research I believe it will definitely be worth it, so I’m going to go for it.
Anyone want to join me in this experiment? This is where I’ll be getting mine, because I’ve talked to the owner of the business and trust him:
https://www.buckylabs.com/klotho-2/
Did you ever try the Klotho?