What Tools Are Needed To Start Wearing?

Allantint

Reaction score
I’m thinking about starting to wear a system . Was wondering what tools are needed to start wearing other than the obvious such as the system itself and the bond.

For removal : What do I need to remove and clean the system? Something not too expensive preferably.

Taking care of the system itself : do I really need special shampoos and conditioners, if so what kind ?

I’m planning on having an unexposed hairline if that changes anything.

And if I’m missing anything else would be helpful to mention it , thanks.

TheLoneWigMaker

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
For removal : What do I need to remove and clean the system? Something not too expensive preferably.

If you're doing water-based glue (Ghost Bond), then 99% alcohol. You can get a case on Amazon with subscribe&save for cheap.
Also buy a scalp cleanser and brush from hairdirect.

Taking care of the system itself : do I really need special shampoos and conditioners, if so what kind ?

Buy good quality. It will extend the life of your system. Avoid sulfates and parabens. Make sure the products are safe for color treated hair. Quality-level you would get from beauty stores will do (Ulta, Sephora). Hairdirect also has a collection that are all obviously marketed to systems.

I like Aveda products. This is what I buy, love the results: https://m.aveda.com/product/5293/16908/hair-care/conditioner/color-conserve-conditioner#/shade/6.7_fl_oz/200_ml

I'm planning on having an unexposed hairline if that changes anything.

Just means you'll de/re less often or at least de/re the front.

And if I’m missing anything else would be helpful to mention it , thanks.

A plastic hairbrush with the little balls on the tips, glue applicating brushes, leave in conditioner, cotton balls, scalp protector, and a good head block. I suggest a Gex 22" from Amazon. And hairdirect has a lot of the supplies.

Last edited:

Allantint

Reaction score
If you're doing water-based glue (Ghost Bond), then 99% alcohol. You can get a case on Amazon with subscribe&save for cheap.
Also buy a scalp cleanser and brush from hairdirect.

Buy good quality. It will extend the life of your system. Avoid sulfates and parabens. Make sure the products are safe for color treated hair. Quality-level you would get from beauty stores will do (Ulta, Sephora). Hairdirect also has a collection that are all obviously marketed to systems.

I like Aveda products. This is what I buy, love the results: https://m.aveda.com/product/5293/16908/hair-care/conditioner/color-conserve-conditioner#/shade/6.7_fl_oz/200_ml

Just means you'll de/re less often or at least de/re the front.

A plastic hairbrush with the little balls on the tips, glue applicating brushes, leave in conditioner, cotton balls, scalp protector, and a good head block. I suggest a Gex 22" from Amazon. And hairdirect has a lot of the supplies.

Thank you for your detailed reply .

If I’m using tape such as walkers ultra hold would 99percent alcohol work to de-attach and clean the system ?

Also what is head block ? Is it like a scalp protector?

TheLoneWigMaker

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Noah

Reaction score
Hi Allantint, here is a VERY full list which I did for another guy of the things you need or might think of if you are doing your own maintenance. Don't be put off by the length - you don't need to buy everything at once, and some things you may not need at all. This is primarily aimed at someone wearing a lace base.

Must haves:

- Adhesives - there are thousands of variants. I use Walkers No-Shine tape for the back and sides of my piece, and usually Davlyn Black glue for the hairline. I also use Walkers 3-mil tape for the hairline when I need an extra-strong hold. It is the only tape which is undetectable enough for an exposed hairline. Tip: if you are buying tape, always buy the curved contour strips and not the rolls. They are a bit more expensive, but they have backing paper on both sides. The roll tape only has backing paper on one side, so it sticks to everything - fingers, scissors, hair, itself - and you end up throwing half of it away.

- 99% isopropyl alcohol (also called surgical spirit) - useful for installing, detaching and cleaning the piece. Buy it in bulk from DIY stores or pharmacies. Or use one of the proprietary brands like C22. When you soak the base to get old tape off, put the alcohol in a shallow dish, then press the base down into the alcohol to submerge it, but keep the hair out as much as you can.

- A squeezable bottle with a long narrow nozzle (like an American mustard bottle). Allows you to soak the base of the system with alcohol without getting it on the hair, when you are detaching.

- A bottle with a spritz nozzle - you can spray a light mist of alcohol on your head to delay the adhesive setting. It gives you a few seconds to get your system into the perfect position when you are attaching it.

- Mirror - ideally a well-lit wall mirror plus a big hand-held mirror

- A brush or comb with blunt teeth, to avoid snagging the base

- Shampoo - any mild shampoo is OK. Choose one 'for processed hair'

- Conditioner - choose a good quality one. I use American Crew.

- Leave-in conditioner with sunscreen - a must for daily use. Get one with SPF 30 or higher.

- Some spring clips - for keeping the unattached part of the system out of the way when you are putting on glue

- towelling sweat band to stop alcohol getting in your eyes.

- Colour-correcting shampoo or conditioner for correcting any sun damage to the hair colour.

- Knot sealer - will increase the longevity of your system [lace base only]

A few nice-to-haves:

- Scalp protector - a clear barrier liquid to prevent irritation of the scalp, or to stop sweat interfering with your bond

- A polystyrene wig head - for putting tape on the system, or drying it after washing

- small sharp scissors (e.g. nail scissors) for cutting tape to size, trimming excess lace etc.

- Detangler

- A lockable box to keep your supplies and spare systems in, if you are concerned to keep your hair-wearing private

- A satin or silk pillowcase - prevents wear and tear on the system when you sleep, and helps prevent the hair from drying out.

Hope that's useful.

Noah

Allantint

Reaction score
Hi Allantint, here is a VERY full list which I did for another guy of the things you need or might think of if you are doing your own maintenance. Don't be put off by the length - you don't need to buy everything at once, and some things you may not need at all. This is primarily aimed at someone wearing a lace base.

Must haves:

- Adhesives - there are thousands of variants. I use Walkers No-Shine tape for the back and sides of my piece, and usually Davlyn Black glue for the hairline. I also use Walkers 3-mil tape for the hairline when I need an extra-strong hold. It is the only tape which is undetectable enough for an exposed hairline. Tip: if you are buying tape, always buy the curved contour strips and not the rolls. They are a bit more expensive, but they have backing paper on both sides. The roll tape only has backing paper on one side, so it sticks to everything - fingers, scissors, hair, itself - and you end up throwing half of it away.

- 99% isopropyl alcohol (also called surgical spirit) - useful for installing, detaching and cleaning the piece. Buy it in bulk from DIY stores or pharmacies. Or use one of the proprietary brands like C22. When you soak the base to get old tape off, put the alcohol in a shallow dish, then press the base down into the alcohol to submerge it, but keep the hair out as much as you can.

- A squeezable bottle with a long narrow nozzle (like an American mustard bottle). Allows you to soak the base of the system with alcohol without getting it on the hair, when you are detaching.

- A bottle with a spritz nozzle - you can spray a light mist of alcohol on your head to delay the adhesive setting. It gives you a few seconds to get your system into the perfect position when you are attaching it.

- Mirror - ideally a well-lit wall mirror plus a big hand-held mirror

- A brush or comb with blunt teeth, to avoid snagging the base

- Shampoo - any mild shampoo is OK. Choose one 'for processed hair'

- Conditioner - choose a good quality one. I use American Crew.

- Leave-in conditioner with sunscreen - a must for daily use. Get one with SPF 30 or higher.

- Some spring clips - for keeping the unattached part of the system out of the way when you are putting on glue

- towelling sweat band to stop alcohol getting in your eyes.

- Colour-correcting shampoo or conditioner for correcting any sun damage to the hair colour.

- Knot sealer - will increase the longevity of your system [lace base only]

A few nice-to-haves:

- Scalp protector - a clear barrier liquid to prevent irritation of the scalp, or to stop sweat interfering with your bond

- A polystyrene wig head - for putting tape on the system, or drying it after washing

- small sharp scissors (e.g. nail scissors) for cutting tape to size, trimming excess lace etc.

- Detangler

- A lockable box to keep your supplies and spare systems in, if you are concerned to keep your hair-wearing private

- A satin or silk pillowcase - prevents wear and tear on the system when you sleep, and helps prevent the hair from drying out.

Hope that's useful.

Noah

Hey Noah, thank you for your detailed reply.

I am wondering do you perhaps do you know of any videos which show the de-attaching , cleaning , and attachment process in details ? If so could you link them for me? Would be most useful

Also do you think walkers ultra hold tape would be very detectable at the hairline ? If so do you only use the walkers 3-mil tape when you need extra hold or a combination of the glue and tape?

Last edited:

Noah

Reaction score
I think the best and most practical videos are on the Hair Direct YouTube page - https://m.youtube.com/user/hairdirect

In my view Walkers Ultrahold is too visible for an exposed hairline. The only tape I have found which is sufficiently invisible for an exposed hairline is Walkers 3-mil thin lace support tape. It is not quite as good a result as glue, but very nearly. I personally only use it when I need an extra-strong hold, but you could use it as your everyday adhesive.

Allantint

Reaction score
I think the best and most practical videos are on the Hair Direct YouTube page - https://m.youtube.com/user/hairdirect

In my view Walkers Ultrahold is too visible for an exposed hairline. The only tape I have found which is sufficiently invisible for an exposed hairline is Walkers 3-mil thin lace support tape. It is not quite as good a result as glue, but very nearly. I personally only use it when I need an extra-strong hold, but you could use it as your everyday adhesive.

So to be sure , you only use the tape when you need extra strong hold, you do not first apply the glue and then the tape for strong hold , simply the tape. Is this correct ?

Noah

Reaction score
Correct; the tape is an alternative to the glue, which is a bit stronger, but also a little less undetectable.