What to replace finasteride with?

BALD$ING

Reaction score
hey guys
well after over 3 years of finasteride usage i had a blood test, i realized my hormonal levels had been messed up significantly and decided to quit. Ive read about spironolactone but are there any other topical/non-systematic drugs i can replace finasteride with?
thanks

Wuffer

Experienced Member
Reaction score
My recommendation is to go back on Finasteride, then replace it with another better treatment when it is available.

In your thread under side effects, you said you had no side effects. Your hormone results came back normal, except for the fact that your DHT was low. I guess you didn't realize that Finasteride works by lowering DHT levels quite significantly. This effect is tolerated perfect fine by the vast majority of guys who take it (including you) but for some reason you decided you wanted to quit?

There are a ton of guys on this forum who would give up a lot to be able to tolerate finasteride as well as you did, with no side effects. If maintaining your hair is important to you, you are sabotaging your chances quite significantly by not taking Finasteride. Currently, there are no hair loss treatments that have been thoroughly tested, that work as well as finasteride. The only one that comes close is Minoxidil, and you are lucky to get 3 years of benefits from it.

BALD$ING

Reaction score
hey man, i appreciate the response. But i unfortunately completely lost my morning erections and there was barely any semen left in me. My mind is also clearing up now that its almost been a week of it, im studying for medical school and i can see the progress.
Plus ive had no gains and alot of loos since both minoxidil and finasteride but believe it did slow down the progress

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
I suggest replacing it with Proxiphen (which the doctor who designed and sells it is both a physician and a PhD), which is supposed to be more effective than finasteride. It's definitely more expensive than Propecia, though! But it's a topical with several drugs in it which don't affect hormones systemically.

Lead Farmer

Established Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
Proxiphen (which the doctor who designed and sells it is both a physician and a PhD), which is supposed to be more effective than finasteride.
You've got to be kidding? I looked "Proxiphen" up and apparently it's been on sale since the mid 90's (http://www.understanding-hair-loss.net/proxiphen.htm). If it's more effective than finasteride why hasn't it caught on? Why are it's effects still "debated hotly"? I haven't seen a single person on this forum using this product or claiming success with it.

Also who would buy anything from THIS website? It doesn't even look legitimate.

I'm sorry to jump on you over this but that is a MASSIVE unfounded claim and sounds like textbook advertising to me.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Lead Farmer said:
You've got to be kidding? I looked "Proxiphen" up and apparently it's been on sale since the mid 90's (http://www.understanding-hair-loss.net/proxiphen.htm).

I think it's been around even longer than that; probably since sometime in the 1980's.

Lead Farmer said:
If it's more effective than finasteride why hasn't it caught on? Why are it's effects still "debated hotly"?

Mainly, I think, because Proxiphen is expensive at $100/month. Another reason is that it just hasn't been advertised by Dr. Proctor very much over the years. People just don't know very much about Proxiphen, unless they read sites like HairLossTalk.com and HLH.

Lead Farmer said:
I haven't seen a single person on this forum using this product or claiming success with it.

Baloney! There have been people both here and on HLH talking about it and claiming success with it; you must be pretty new here! Furthermore, I've compiled a list of at least a dozen different people who sang its praises on the Usenet newsgroup "alt.baldspot", where it was quite well-known. Dr. Proctor was the person who started that newsgroup in the past. He rarely bothers with these Web-based modern hairloss sites.

Lead Farmer said:
Also who would buy anything from THIS website? It doesn't even look legitimate.

Why don't you think it looks legitimate? :dunno:

Lead Farmer said:
I'm sorry to jump on you over this but that is a MASSIVE unfounded claim and sounds like textbook advertising to me.

He actually needs MORE advertising than he bothers with, to spread the word. I think his products are probably the best of all, although I wish they weren't so expensive.

Nex

Established Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
Mainly, I think, because Proxiphen is expensive at $100/month. Another reason is that it just hasn't been advertised by Dr. Proctor very much over the years. People just don't know very much about Proxiphen, unless they read sites like HairLossTalk.com and HLH.

Hey Bryan, why would Dr.Proctor not advertise the fact that he has created a product that is more effective than finasteride? I'm assuming he enjoys making money, which he would make a substantial amount of if this was true...

Jacob

Reaction score
Bryan said:
I suggest replacing it with Proxiphen (which the doctor who designed and sells it is both a physician and a PhD), which is supposed to be more effective than finasteride. It's definitely more expensive than Propecia, though! But it's a topical with several drugs in it which don't affect hormones systemically.

Bryan is a shill(and has been one for over a decade)for Dr Proctor and his products. There is no evidence it is more effective than plain minoxidil..or finasteride.

Just one thread that covers this: http://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=71087&start=40

Jacob

Reaction score
Bryan said:
Baloney! There have been people both here and on HLH talking about it and claiming success with it; you must be pretty new here! Furthermore, I've compiled a list of at least a dozen different people who sang its praises on the Usenet newsgroup "alt.baldspot", where it was quite well-known. Dr. Proctor was the person who started that newsgroup in the past. He rarely bothers with these Web-based modern hairloss sites.

He can no longer post in this web-based modern hairloss site because he wasn't supposed to be doing so in the first place. This after taking the opportunity to post in a thread about Dr. Lee going down...basically trying to drum up more business for himself.

But a whole dozen ppl years ago in a newsgroup started by Proctor? :shakehead:

jksl

Established Member
Reaction score
Jacob said:
He can no longer post in this web-based modern hairloss site because he wasn't supposed to be doing so in the first place.

That's okay, because his pet Bryan is doing all the posting for him.

findmyhair

Reaction score
I think Bryan and Dr Proctor are the same person. The only time I hear about Proxiclin or whatever sh*t it is is threads from Bryan.

From what I can see on this thread is that there is no substitute for Propecia/finasteride!!

abcdefg

Reaction score
No good proven replacement for propecia so stick with it unless you want to lose your hair. I wish RU or CB would get approved because we need 1 good proven topical that works as well as propecia or better with no sides.