What to do?

johnnynoony

Reaction score
Hi Guys-
Thanks for a great forum. I am 33 and have a slightly receding hairline on my temple sides- it goes back about an inch. To be honest I didn't even really notice it until I got a really bad haircut since my hair is pretty thick and straight. The question is if I should do anything now or gulp..wait till I lose more hair. I've read varying things about all the products and it's pretty difficult to decide but I bought Minoxidil just on the idea of being ahead of the game. We're all in this together and it's a tough thing to lose your hair, I really feel for the guys that have had major hair loss. Any comments or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

John

DonaldAnderson

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Welcome to HairLossTalk.com
I think every1 here at the forum would tell you not to wait because it is easier to keep your hair then get it back. Minoxidil is a good product to get but i think you need a dht inhibitor of some kind so ill just bump this.

The Gardener

Reaction score
Johnnynoony,

I would hold up on the minoxidil for now. One thing that you should know is that even those who use hairloss treatments will still inevitably face continued hairloss, albeit a good treatment regime can delay the process 5 to 10 years if you respond well. Basically, you'll still have the same hairloss curve, but it will be shifted back 5 to 10 years, so the hairline you inevitably would have had at age 40 might be pushed back to age 50, if you are good with your regimen discipline.

In your case, slight recession is expected at your age (mine as well, I am 36), so I would concentrate more on something that is more of a long term measure. Instead of Minoxidil (Rogaine), I would actually suggest that you consider Finasteride (Propecia) and hold off on the minoxidil until you reach a point where your hairline is really approaching a point close to the verge of serious cosmetic unacceptability. Since minoxidil works best on hair that is recently lost, save it for that time when, to use baseball analogy, you need to "bring in the stopper".

Also, keep in mind that hairloss does not occur in a straight line progression. You will have a few years of loss, then it will maintain for 5 years or so, then you'll have another episode of loss, etc, etc. So, just because you have lost SOME hair does not mean that you will be Dick Cheney by Christmas.

Finasteride is GREAT at keeping, and strengthening what you already got, AND might provide some regrowth in areas that are thin. I would also pick up some Nizoral shampoo at the grocery store, and use it 2-3 times a week. In addition to fighting scalp irritation that exacerbates the male pattern baldness cycle, it also just happens to be a mild topical anti-androgen that, in studies, provides chances for regrowth equivalent to 2% minoxidil, but WITHOUT the twice daily need to "drip the grease drops" onto the scalp as is required with Minoxidil usage.

Third, I would pick up a copper peptide spray. The best two are Folligen and Tricomin, scan this forum and you'll find plenty written about the pros and cons of both, and spray this into your scalp whenever you can. Copper Peptides alleviate cellular-level damage that the male pattern baldness-causing DHT chemical does to follicles that makes them miniaturize.

And that, my friend, would be my suggested regimen for you. Finasteride, Nizoral shampoo 2-3 times a week, and a good copper peptide spray.

In addition to that, there are two other issues that I think are crucial elements in a good hairloss regimen, and you should address both. First, you need to examine the level of stress in your life, and if you live a stressful life, develop some strategies for dealing with it and developing a mentality of hardiness. Second, you are what you eat. Your hair is a reflection of your nutrition. If you are serious at all about fighting hairloss, you need to start paying attention to your nutrition if you aren't already.

Good luck, my friend.

johnnynoony

Reaction score
Hallelujah! I could not have asked for a better response- LOL. I don't even have a question- I'll get right on it- thanks so much Dr. Lee. You covered everything I would have wanted to ask. Wow.

Thanks again.

John

global

Experienced Member
Reaction score
johnnynoony said:
Hallelujah! I could not have asked for a better response- LOL. I don't even have a question- I'll get right on it- thanks so much Dr. Lee. You covered everything I would have wanted to ask. Wow.

Thanks again.

John

Err, he's Gardener, Dr Lee is just the name of the minoxidil brand he uses.

johnnynoony

Reaction score
:oops: Time to lay off the stupid pills. I meant thanks a lot Gardener. Thanks for pointing that out dutasteride...I mean global. :lol:

John

johnnynoony

Reaction score
One quick question gardener- where do you buy your Tricomin spray? I've bought everything else that you suggested but was trying to find a decent price on this. Thanks again for your great post.

John

misterium

Reaction score
buy it from this site for the cheapest.

The Gardener

Reaction score
Actually, I am Dr Lee. And, Bruce Lee. And Elvis too. I'm "in hiding" working finance at an electronics company and I snatch cheese cubes off of the leftover appetizer spreads left in conference rooms after meetings.

Dave001

Experienced Member
Reaction score
The Gardener said:
One thing that you should know is that even those who use hairloss treatments will still inevitably face continued hairloss, albeit a good treatment regime can delay the process 5 to 10 years if you respond well. Basically, you'll still have the same hairloss curve, but it will be shifted back 5 to 10 years, so the hairline you inevitably would have had at age 40 might be pushed back to age 50, if you are good with your regimen discipline.

What makes you say that?

Dave001

Experienced Member
Reaction score
SE-freak said:
Now I would like to know what you think, Dave.

Progression of Androgenetic Alopecia is usually halted when androgen activity in the hair follicle is sufficiently reduced.

Dave001

Experienced Member
Reaction score
The Gardener said:
It's my personal opinion.

Clearly. But on what is it based? I might be inclined to agree if you were speaking in the context of minoxidil treatment alone.

Britannia

Reaction score
Dave001 said:
SE-freak said:

Progression of Androgenetic Alopecia is usually halted when androgen activity in the hair follicle is sufficiently reduced.

Wishful f**king thinking?
Ever hear of drug tolerence?

Dave001

Experienced Member
Reaction score
trentender said:
Dave001 said:
SE-freak said:

Wishful f**king thinking?
Ever hear of drug tolerence?

Difficulty saying "f*****g"? ;)

As far as my statement being wishful thinking, all I can do is refer you to the studies. I'm afraid I can't cure your ineducability, though.

The Gardener

Reaction score
Dave001 said:

But, Dave One, there are people who have male pattern baldness who were born with, or have low DHT levels to begin with. Everyone's biology is different, and the male pattern baldness mechanism has far more moving parts to it than just reducing DHT levels. Perhaps follicles become more sensitive to the presence of DHT as one ages. This is why hair falls out in a pattern. And, what determines this pattern is not necessarily a straight "On" or "Off" switch.

Despite what may be the case on paper, it is my personal opinion that the belief that over time an male pattern baldness sufferer can continue to keep all of their hair is an overly optimistic one.

Dave001

Experienced Member
Reaction score
The Gardener said:
Dave001 said:

But, Dave One, there are people who have male pattern baldness who were born with, or have low DHT levels to begin with. Everyone's biology is different, and the male pattern baldness mechanism has far more moving parts to it than just reducing DHT levels. Perhaps follicles become more sensitive to the presence of DHT as one ages. This is why hair falls out in a pattern. And, what determines this pattern is not necessarily a straight "On" or "Off" switch.

I didn't say anything about DHT.

The Gardener said:
Despite what may be the case on paper, it is my personal opinion that the belief that over time an male pattern baldness sufferer can continue to keep all of their hair is an overly optimistic one.

I was alluding to the empirical, not theoretical, case on paper.