What to do against itchy/red scalp caused by minoxidil?

Heinrich

Reaction score
I have been using minoxidil since 2007. I am not sure about the success, since I started it shortly after Finasteride. For obvious reasons I am too scarred to stop and find out how good it actually worked......

But my question is:

minoxidil has made my skin on the crown very red and somewhat itchy (not a male pattern baldness itch, i know the difference!). Partly the scalp is loose. Don´t know how to explain this. If you have it as well, you will know. That´s why I stopped the cheap Kirkland on evenings and sticked with Foam only. At the moment I am trying to use it only on the frontal areas. This helped. For some reasons the frontal areas don´t react allergic. At least not as much. But I am worried about the effects this will have on the hair on my thin crown area.

Any one have an idea what to try? A shampoo or something? I tried Ket-Shampoo in my early male pattern baldness days. But it made my scalp much more itchy and I lost more hair. Should I risk another attempt?

mires

Reaction score
I would recommend emu oil, it has reduced itchiness and irritation for me at least. It even supposedly helps to regrow hair and activate dormant follicles but I'd say it's worth it just for the positive effects on scalp health. I also like how soft and nice it makes my hair feel :) .

Just don't use too much of it and wipe off any excess oil after 20-30mins with a paper towel or something if you don't like your scalp and hair looking all greasy.