What side of your family has male pattern baldness?

What side of your family has Male Pattern Baldness? (Hairloss)

• Fathers side

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Both

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Stokes

Established Member
Reaction score
Just interested to find out if there is any sort of pattern between all of us members. Maybe we can help research if we can find something similar between all of us.

chewbaca

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Stokes said:
Just interested to find out if there is any sort of pattern between all of us members. Maybe we can help research if we can find something similar between all of us.

They have already found a suspected link of inheritance from mum...and possibley some gene variants contributed by the father...

DjSap

Reaction score
To be correct wouldn't "mother's side" exluce the mothers father as the mother iherited her baldness genes from her mother (according to the scientists) and not father. It would be more correct to look at your mothers brothers as they share the same baldness gene as you.

Or am I wrong?

chewbaca

Experienced Member
Reaction score
DjSap said:
To be correct wouldn't "mother's side" exluce the mothers father as the mother iherited her baldness genes from her mother (according to the scientists) and not father. It would be more correct to look at your mothers brothers as they share the same baldness gene as you.

Or am I wrong?

yes u are right......that is the layman wasy of looking cause the rationale behind it was that your mother and her brothers got the male pattern baldness gene and she may have it but since she is a woman, it may lie dormant....And u and your brothers may have inherited it from her.....so u can actually see your own brother too...the cycle just repeats again,....

arya

Established Member
Reaction score
what about none of my parents sides have MBP.

souldoctor

Reaction score
no the point about mother's father goes as follows; women are XX, men are XY...so we get our Y chromosome from our dads, and X chromosome from our mums...and apparently ONE of the genes for male pattern baldness (although there are probably other genes which regulate it) is on the X chromosome....so if this is true, we should blame our mothers for some part of the male pattern baldness genetics...

Trent

Experienced Member
Reaction score
yeah, you need a neither choice.

chewbaca

Experienced Member
Reaction score
arya said:

Which means if u have male pattern baldness now and looking for an explaination, it must be your mum's fault.....cant be your dad since if he has it , it wont be laying dormant...It would have showed its dirty work on your dads head by now...

chewbaca

Experienced Member
Reaction score
souldoctor said:
no the point about mother's father goes as follows; women are XX, men are XY...so we get our Y chromosome from our dads, and X chromosome from our mums...and apparently ONE of the genes for male pattern baldness (although there are probably other genes which regulate it) is on the X chromosome....so if this is true, we should blame our mothers for some part of the male pattern baldness genetics...

I think the main mechanism of male pattern baldness is in the X gene...other genes from your father may regulate it.....which is why the recent research about this whole thing specifically talks about young hair loss sufferers...and that possible other genes are involved possibly from dad which regulate this process.....

arya

Established Member
Reaction score
chewbaca said:
arya said:

Which means if u have male pattern baldness now and looking for an explaination, it must be your mum's fault.....cant be your dad since if he has it , it wont be laying dormant...It would have showed its dirty work on your dads head by now...

Moooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooom :yelling:

arjun17

Reaction score
No, if what this study says is true, it is the men who get the gene only from their mothers. Women can get it either from their mothers, fathers , or in some unlucky cases, both. Women have two X chromosomes - one from each parent. A bald father will 100% pass on the gene to his daughter, while the mother (let us assume the mother has one X without the balding gene and one X with it) has a 50% chance of passing it on to her daughter. It is believed that women need to have the balding gene present in BOTH their X chromosomes in order for them to get hairloss.
However, according to that theory ALL sons of a thinning mother should definitely go bald, which is certainly not the case. Also, the fathers of all thinning women should definitely be bald, again very untrue. I still hold that the gene on the X chromosome MAY play some part in hairloss, but it cannot be the main determining factor - that has to be on one of the autosomes. It is absolutely foolish to say that there is NO paternal influence on balding. Countless cases exist in which the son has the same type (colour, texture , hairline etc.) of hair as the father, and loses (or does'nt lose) his hair at around the same age as his father. WHERE IS THE ROLE OF THE MOTHER'S SIDE IN THESE CASES? So many young balding guys have a bald father, possibly a bald paternal grandfather and uncles, yet practically nobody on the mother's side is bald!
(and I will not accept as true the stupid BS theory of the male pattern baldness genes in these cases coming not from the paternal line, but from some great-great-great grandfather or grandmother in the maternal line. The probability of that happening is FAR less than the number of guys in the above situation)
That's not to say that baldness can't come from the maternal grandfather, there are also many cases where the father is bald, but the son takes after his non-bald maternal grandfather instead. There are also many cases in which both the father and maternal grandfather are bald, but usually there are noticeable differences in their patterns (e.g. the father could have had rapid early onset severe male pattern baldness and have become a NW7 by 30, while the maternal grandfather would have the more typical male pattern baldness, starting around 30 or so and progressing slowly to a NW5 or 6 by about 60) , and the son could follow either pattern (and this will never be followed exactly, but only approximately).
What do you guys think?
Cheers,
Arjun

silkeysmooth

Established Member
Reaction score
It can't be related only to the mother. That's absurd, because my dad (who is 53 and only in the last few years diffusing) has the same potential pattern I have, though his is much worse.

My maternal grandfather had a bit of recession, but when he was in his 70's he was not even a Norwood 3.

My father's side, now thats another story...

Stokes

Established Member
Reaction score
Well what can I say... my poll sucked lol

Some very good points there and this isn't going as straight forward as I planned it to be. Slight favour towards the mothers side but don't really know if that means anything. The only thing this poll shows is that male pattern baldness can come from either side of your parents or none of them at all.

In summary I'm more confused than ever about male pattern baldness... :) Thanks to all that voted, hope this thread wasn't a complete waste of time.

Also arjun17 how do you know so much? Are you a doctor or something? That stuff was way over my head lol, but seemed very smart :p

p.s Sorry about the none option. Can't change the poll now.

Trent

Experienced Member
Reaction score
i think we don't know dick about the genetics, everything we have is speculation and wrong. no one in my family is bald. i think there is some gene anticipation going on as well as multifactorial issues and maybe even influences of our personality (like stress level)

chewbaca

Experienced Member
Reaction score
The male pattern baldness gene can lay dormant in the mother and expressed in the sons or

another factor is that females have much less DHT than men