What Should Your Shampoo Not Contain?

Yoadrian

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I wanted to know what are definite things to avoid when buying a shampoo. Also, a conditioner. Thanks in advance. I'm not sure i want to buy nizoral. peoples re always complaining about it in here. Thanks in advance.

SuperDPAsteve

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Peptides, sulphates, azelic acid, things derived from bleach (sh*t that ends in -chlorite), any chemical you’d find in a skin toner like soricylic acid (these close your pores which is the opposite of what you want). Artificial colors and scents are deleterious to hair health as well. Coconut oil based conditioners should be good but make sure to spend a decent amount of money and don’t just get the Walmart brand coconut goop.

Helpful things are biotin, caffeine, ketoconazole (obvi), saw palmetto extract, lithium chloride (NOT chlorite)

Things that might help but can’t hurt are things like jojoba and castor oil, sandalwood, Rosemary and all the hippie sounding gunk like that

Yoadrian

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Peptides, sulphates, azelic acid, things derived from bleach (sh*t that ends in -chlorite), any chemical you’d find in a skin toner like soricylic acid (these close your pores which is the opposite of what you want). Artificial colors and scents are deleterious to hair health as well. Coconut oil based conditioners should be good but make sure to spend a decent amount of money and don’t just get the Walmart brand coconut goop.

Helpful things are biotin, caffeine, ketoconazole (obvi), saw palmetto extract, lithium chloride (NOT chlorite)

Things that might help but can’t hurt are things like jojoba and castor oil, sandalwood, Rosemary and all the hippie sounding gunk like that
thanks 4 responding

frank1980

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

I use nizoral and tgel shampoo. Do these contain sulphates and peptides?

SuperDPAsteve

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I use nizoral and tgel shampoo. Do these contain sulphates and peptides?
Nizoral does. Not sure about tgel or tsal but prolly too. Most commercial shampoos use them as filler

SuperDPAsteve

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I recommend my shampoo so much I feel like a shill lmao. Wick & Strom is what I use and it’s pretty good stuff

StormFiber

My Regimen
Reaction score
I wanted to know what are definite things to avoid. Also, a conditioner. Thanks in advance. I'm not sure i want to buy nizoral. peoples re always complaining about it in here. Thanks in advance.

Artificial colors and scents are deleterious to hair health as well. Coconut oil based conditioners should be good but make sure to spend a decent amount of money and don’t just get the Walmart brand coconut goop. Helpful things are biotin, caffeine, ketoconazole (obvi), saw palmetto extract, lithium chloride (NOT chlorite) Things that might help but can’t hurt are things like jojoba and castor oil, sandalwood, Rosemary and all the hippie sounding gunk like that

StormFiber

My Regimen
Reaction score
Coconut oil based conditioners should be good but make sure to spend a decent amount of money and don’t just get the Walmart brand coconut goop.

Mushu

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've seen this question asked many times. I think mainly you don't want Lauryl and laureth sulfate. They always dry out my hair. The difference between frizzy hair and smooth hair is damage to the cuticle(whether physically or chemically). If you can take care of the cuticle while growing out, you'll have less frizz and hair appears stronger.

These are the brands and products ( I used to get frizzy hair all the time until I did research and found what worked for me) I like best. Provided of course your hair is not damaged from male pattern baldness to the extent it's so weak.

1. Giovanni 2 chic line(shampoo and conditioner. I don't even use the same shampoo/conditioner combo from them. I mixed and match depending on whats the cheapest and I like best. Cherry Blossom & Rose Petals andBlackberry & Coconut Milk shampoo or coditioner is what I preferred after trying a few. If you have dandruff problems( their tea tree oil) product also works really well.

2. If tea tree is not working and you want something stronger with ketoconazole. Nizoral dried out my hair, but Regenpure DR dried it out less, it's only 1%, but worked for me. I don't use it anymore. My dandruff/itch is completely gone. Finasteride helped reduced my sebum production, but whenever my hair is oily or feels dirty I wash it. None of that few days to 1 week without washing routine, as I'd just grow pimples and dandruff if I did that. Listen to your scalp.

3. There's lots of articles that say blow drying your hair damages,etc. Yes if you use HOT setting and blow dry a inch away. I'm sure heat does some damage, but your hair swelled up with water also stretches the cuticles and cause them damage. I've read so many conflicting articles, but this is what worked for me. Blow drying helps smooth your cuticles and everyone knows hair looks best right after washing and blow dry. However I notice a difference even when I air dry, it's not as frizzy because I have less damage cuticles, ever since I use this routine.

I blow dry my hair on warm setting but farther away, if using cool, it doesn't matter.

I also use these 2 products. Sorry if I'm not suppose to link products to external websites, but it's easy to get these 2 mixed up. Both are somewhat of leave in conditioners with #2 being more thick. Coconut oils,etc, work exactly the same, they just coat your hair and keep the cuticle smooth. They don't do anything special. I have no opinion on the vitamins they're suppose to provide as I can't prove or disprove, but IMO it's a marketing ploy. I tried Jojoba oil, coconut oil(what a mess), and other mixes (this was before Finasteride and while researching hairloss), and it was such a pain, and mess.

1. HSI PROFESSIONAL Top 5 Heat Hair Protector & Conditioner | Flat Iron & Hot Blow Dry Thermal Guard (Says top on the bottle)---> after pat drying hair with towel, spray on damp hair and blow dry. It's more of a pre styler.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BH5Y9RL/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

2. HSI PROFESSIONAL Heat Hair Protector & Conditioner | Flat Iron & Hot Blow Dry Thermal Guard | With Argan Oil & Vitamins (says Argon Oil on the front). ---> this seems to hold style good enough without using pomade,etc. I'm too lazy to wash my hair before sleep and this works for me.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LMIVLXY/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

Just my experience on what worked for me.

Last edited: