What should I do?

decro435

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I'm getting some major side-effects at the moment:

Weak erections , especially at the base.
Penis looks and feels smaller.
Testicular pain and tingling at the tip of the penis.
Reduced volume of ejaculate.
Frequent urination.
Increase in Libido.

I need to keep my hair and I know that finasteride is my main chance. But these side-effects are pretty strong , should I wait a while? I'm only 19.

feenix101

Reaction score
I would highly suggest stopping finasteride, or at the VERY least, reduce your dose. The side effects are a serious issue you don't want to have for the rest of your life.

Fundi

Experienced Member
Reaction score
If you're that desperate to keep your hair and remain on finasteride, you may be relived to know that statistically, on the studies, over 5 years side effects decreased with continued treatment.

Personally, I'd quit or at least dramatically cut dosage and get on as I couldn't live without my dick even if the sides did fully disappear in say 3 months...

If you do, try

A topical anti androgen such as spironolactone (Or Fluridil/RU after it's safety is properly tested)

Or Proxiphen which as been reccomended (Contains minoxidil and spironolactone)

Stay with nizoral and also add herbal/vitamin supplements.

decro435

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Yeah I was thinking of starting spironolactone. I really believe though it won't be effective without the inhibition of internal DHT.

Doe's the body really get used to Finasteride? I can't see this happening..

Fundi

Experienced Member
Reaction score
decro435 said:
Yeah I was thinking of starting spironolactone. I really believe though it won't be effective without the inhibition of internal DHT.

Doe's the body really get used to Finasteride? I can't see this happening..

I'm going to order some spironolactone I think.

Anyway, as explained by my doctor and I've seen the studies - After one year 2% had sides, after 5 years just 0.3% (I think it was) had sides. The problem is the study did not show at what point the sides disappeared in those 4 years. With the severity of your sides, I don't think you'll want to wait up to 5 years to find out, with the possibility that you could be in that 0.3%.

What I'd do is come off finasteride, wait for the sides to disappear.

Then, if you see that graph which has been posted several times. 0.01mg of finasteride is little more effective than a placebo, 0.25mg of finasteride is almost as strong at blocking DHT as 1.0mg.

There common sense would tell you, if you dissolve the pill in alcohol, and take enough to give yourself a dose higher than 0.01mg, but less than 0.25mg, you can block some DHT, but not enough to give you sides (Or completely save your hair, but surely blocking some DHT is better than blocking none?)

Add some topicals and things could still work out. - For example I believe Bryan maintained his hair on Proxiphen alone for 2 years or so.

neuromet

Reaction score
as explained by my doctor and I've seen the studies - After one year 2% had sides, after 5 years just 0.3% (I think it was) had sides. The problem is the study did not show at what point the sides disappeared in those 4 years.

When they say just 0.3% experience sides after five years are they counting just those that continued using finasteride? If they do, it's not very meaningful.

If they don't, I feel bad for the at least 1.7% of people who continued using finasteride despite having 2 years of side effects (although it's nice it worked out for them in the end).

I ask because I am experiencing weak erections. I've been on finasteride for about three months now but I've discontinued it for a week on two separate occasions. Both times my normal erections came back.

Anyone know the effect of taking a week off? Does it bring on enough DHT follicle damage to eliminate the positive effect of the weeks of DHT inhibition? Does it prolong the period before side effects subsist (if they ever will)?

It would be nice to take some breaks from finasteride every now and again, if only so I can remember how my penis can and should feel.

Topical spironolactone is starting to look better...

Fanjeera

Reaction score
Quit now and hope the sides won't be permanent! I have been off for 3 weeks now and haven't still got rid of them. I'm also one year younger than you, so you have a better chance to recover.
You got any brain for and metal sides also?

neuromet

Reaction score
"You got any brain for and metal sides also?"
Fanjeera, I don't understand what that means. How long were you on finasteride in the first place?

"see a doctor"

Cassin, what's the rationale? That only a doctor has appropriate advice? I haven't been impressed with the doctors I've spoken to so far- a GP and dermatologist. The GP said some people have ED problems with Propecia, the dermatologist said it's perfectly fine. Neither seemed like they were more aware of the studies that have been conducted than I am.

Perhaps a urologist would be best.

Mew

Experienced Member
Reaction score
the dermatologist said it's perfectly fine.

That's because...

viewtopic.php?p=515976#p515976

Read the BOLDED red text. Notice the bits about derms. These guys make their living off of selling the stuff, as if they'd say anything negative about it.

Perhaps a urologist would be best.

An Endocrinologist, or better yet, Neuroendocrinologist would be your best bet if you have persistent side effects from the drug.