What Should I Do Next? Diffuse Thinner 1 Year On Minoxidil (with Pics)

wally564

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi,

I have been using Minoxidil 5% for about a year now, usually 1 application a day. It started off fine but recently I have had so much itchyness now which is causing hairloss. I am a diffuse thinner so any bit of hairloss does not help.

How would you rate my hairloss? Are there steps I can take to my scalp healthy while using Minoxidil?

Pics attached are with coconut oil so it may look worse than my current state.

Note: Flakiness is evident in my pics once I applied coconut oil

i would really appreciate any feedback.

Cheers!

Attachments

• A5ED502B-F15F-42F6-A45B-928376733089.jpeg
    A5ED502B-F15F-42F6-A45B-928376733089.jpeg
    105.1 KB · Views: 308
  • D1F625C7-F029-4474-8A61-D90B1747BB7B.jpeg
    D1F625C7-F029-4474-8A61-D90B1747BB7B.jpeg
    92.5 KB · Views: 311

Hairs45

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
hard to tell with those pictures. take pictures in better lighting

wally564

My Regimen
Reaction score
More pics I took after waking up (bed head). I am sure you can see the scalp in these pics.

can anyone please help me out and advise me on next steps?

Attachments

• A8C3EC40-B829-467C-B00B-98826A2235DF.jpeg
    A8C3EC40-B829-467C-B00B-98826A2235DF.jpeg
    116.5 KB · Views: 260
  • 729601ED-DDF7-403D-9454-3B8FFDF595D7.jpeg
    729601ED-DDF7-403D-9454-3B8FFDF595D7.jpeg
    43.9 KB · Views: 266

Blacktree

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have diffuse hair thinning as well, started minoxidil for 6 months and things seemed ok except for the itching. Decided to shave the head to see what my scalp looked like and my hair loss was worse than I thought. (Longer hair was hiding how bad it was)
But that was the prime mover for me to try everything to stop further hair loss.
After a few days of finasteride I wasnt losing hair as much as before, also got the nizoral and a laser hair helmet.

I think you need to cut it short just so you can see how bad or good your hair is and then make the choice for yourself

wally564

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the detailed response @Blacktree . Did minoxidil work for you? How is finasteride treating you?

Also, how good or bad do you think my current state is?

Blacktree

My Regimen
Reaction score
I didnt want to take finasteride, but after shaving my head and watching it grow back over the past 3 weeks has been a shock. Alot thinner than i thought, cant hide it once its shaved.

Your hair is only going to get worse if you're still losing it everyday.
I tried eating all the supplements but didnt stop the loss. Biotin, saw palmetto etc

wally564

My Regimen
Reaction score
@Blacktree that makes sense. I will look into finasteride eventually just want to try and maintain my current state with Minoxidil.

I dont generally lose that much hair but recently the itching is causing hairloss which is why I was looking for ways to stop that.

I know you mentioned that ill need to cut my hair to know how good or bad my hair is but do you feel my current state is bad based on the pics?

Blacktree

My Regimen
Reaction score
@Blacktree that makes sense. I will look into finasteride eventually just want to try and maintain my current state with Minoxidil.

I dont generally lose that much hair but recently the itching is causing hairloss which is why I was looking for ways to stop that.

I know you mentioned that ill need to cut my hair to know how good or bad my hair is but do you feel my current state is bad based on the pics?

It started with the itching for me, i thought my young son had got headlice from school and given it to me. Then the hairloss came quicker with bad dandruff (dont know if minoxidil)
Id say your hair is at state i was at maybe 8-12months ago, when i was still in denial.

Go speak to a GP, get some bloods done, check everything. Dont leave your decision for too late like I did

Blacktree

My Regimen
Reaction score
By leaving it I mean, styling it certain ways and keeping the length of the hair and thinking its not noticable anymore

wally564

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for all of your honesty

you are right currently with a comb over it looks like my hair is fine (see attached)

it looks like both of you @Blacktree @Hairs45 are recommending finasteride with minoxidil, right?

Attachments

• 2BB6E5F6-DE40-4060-8B2F-CB86337E11A6.jpeg
    2BB6E5F6-DE40-4060-8B2F-CB86337E11A6.jpeg
    106 KB · Views: 166

Blacktree

My Regimen
Reaction score
For me yes, ive only been on 3-4 weeks but definitely stopped losing so much hair everyday. It was only a few months ago i could do the same thing with a slight comb over and length.

I have a child and dont want more so I dont mind if my fertility is affected. But everybody is different.

justbeconfident

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
sh*t, brother, we are in identical situation. I'm diffuse thinning rapidly and hardcore at only mid 20's.

https://www.hairlosstalk.com/intera...t-minoxidil-dutasteride-photos-inside.126372/

I'm currently doing finasteride 1mg ED for ~4 months and have no progress. My hair falls out at extreme alarming rate and my densite is just like yours.

I havent yet started minoxidil, because seems like in a lot of cases it ages the f*** out of your skin and might give your dark circles and bags under eyes, which will hit your appearance even more. On top of that if you use minoxidil along with finasteride, it's hard to figure out which of the medications works and which doesnt.

However since finasteride doesnt work for me at the moment, i have 2 options - switching to dutasteride or going on minoxidil. I consider switching to dutasteride, but it will be hard for me to find the derm to get prescription and buy normal duta somewhere.

Also same as in your situation, a lot of times when i have long hair, it kinda covers terribly diffused density and creates false perception that things arent that bad.