What Shops Will Dye A Blond Unit Dark Brown?

No Hair No Fair

My Regimen
Reaction score
I want to order an ultra thin skin unit with blond/flesh-tone skin and have the shop dye it dark brown before they send it to me (resulting in invisible v-loops).
I've heard some shops will do this.
I asked a couple and they said they wouldn't.

Does anyone know of any that will?

deg_dilemma

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
the stylist should be able to do this for you.

You can do it on your own too. It's not difficult, but of course preferable for a pro to do it

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah, this is known as 'dyed after', and creates a more realistic looking exposed area on a hair system, such as on the hairline, in a parting, etc since the blonde hair makes the base/knots on the base invisible (or certainly far less visible). My current hair system supplier doesn't offer it at their factory, but the other factory (which is currently closed due to Covid) they operate does. The simple solution is to simply contact different hair system companies and ask them if they can offer this.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Why would you do a dye-after on v-looped hair? And when a dye-after is done, it's only for the hairline (or a parting), and on lace, where there are knots.

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
Why would you do a dye-after on v-looped hair? And when a dye-after is done, it's only for the hairline (or a parting), and on lace, where there are knots.
That's exactly what was done when I ordered a custom color thin skin. It was awful, and rather disappointing... certainly not " custom"

No Hair No Fair

My Regimen
Reaction score
Despite their reputation as one of the most realistic kinds of hairlines, v-loops actually look kind of fake if you look right at them, especially with dark hair (which I have). Real, growing hairs don't form a "v" or "u" at the base like v-loops do. Sometimes the looped hairs look kind of like "doll hair", and, when you put a bunch of v-looped hairs next to each other in a skin base, they create a grid-like pattern that also looks artificial. It's less noticeable with lighter hair colors. Starting with flesh-toned hair and dyeing it to the desired darker color causes the artificial-looking "v" points under the skin base to disappear against your own skin for a more realistic look, more like individual hairs growing out of the skin. This is a trick that a lot of people started using like 10 years ago, but apparently it hasn't quite become standard enough for every shop to offer it, and many are afraid they'll mess up in the process.

Last edited:

No Hair No Fair

My Regimen
Reaction score
That's exactly what was done when I ordered a custom color thin skin. It was awful, and rather disappointing... certainly not " custom"
I once ordered a skin piece with blond hair, wore it in to a hair salon, and had them dye it while I was wearing it. It turned out great, but it cost a lot ($99) and ideally I'd prefer to skip the step of going to a hair salon with a blond wig on and having them it dye it to match my brown hair while I'm in the chair.

Last edited:

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Despite their reputation as one of the most realistic kinds of hairlines, v-loops actually look kind of fake if you look right at them, especially with dark hair (which I have). Real, growing hairs don't form a "v" or "u" at the base like v-loops do. Sometimes the looped hairs look kind of like "doll hair", and, when you put a bunch of v-looped hairs next to each other in a skin base, they create a grid-like pattern that also looks artificial. It's less noticeable with lighter hair colors. Starting with flesh-toned hair and dyeing it to the desired darker color causes the artificial-looking "v" points under the skin base to disappear against your own skin for a more realistic look, more like individual hairs growing out of the skin. This is a trick that a lot of people started using like 10 years ago, but apparently it hasn't quite become standard enough for every shop to offer it, and many are afraid they'll mess up in the process.
I will tell you that I have no salons that do this. The better choice, if hairline is really important, to go with a lace-front skin hybrid. And bleach or do dye-after for the the hairline, this is done all the time.

deg_dilemma

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I will tell you that I have no salons that do this. The better choice, if hairline is really important, to go with a lace-front skin hybrid. And bleach or do dye-after for the the hairline, this is done all the time.
But BB this is exactly what I have done with my UTS systems that I posted pics of in the past few months. Or are you saying that factory won't dye UTS - which is my understanding too. My very good stylist colours my hairline during initial cut-in.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
But BB this is exactly what I have done with my UTS systems that I posted pics of in the past few months. Or are you saying that factory won't dye UTS - which is my understanding too. My very good stylist colours my hairline during initial cut-in.
Well, that is a good question. I will ask my Production Manager. I was looking over thousands of orders, and we have never had a request for a dye-after on a v-looped hairline. But never say never. It just sounds... odd, since when you do a full skin, or lace with skin hairline the hairline is always v-looped, since injected looks terrible. But the v-loops are not dyed-after. I will let you know.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
And the answer is...

"
[10:00 am, 30/12/2021] +86 175 6178 8023: Hi Steve, dye after can not be done in pu base.
[10:01 am, 30/12/2021] +86 175 6178 8023: There is no knots for V-loop so it doesn't need to do dye -after"

No Hair No Fair

My Regimen
Reaction score
It's not that it CAN'T be done, it's that he doesn't want to do it, probably because he's worried it won't turn out right and and he doesn't want to deal with upset customers and refund demands and wasted inventory/effort.

I asked LAVivid if they would do it and they said they wouldn't because it's too hard and the rate of failure is high.
Coolpiece said their factory won't do it because there's too much risk of staining the base.
Northwest Lace said they won't do it, but a lady named Debbie who they refer people to might do it if you mail her the unit (I haven't contacted her yet).
NewTimesHair said it was "a really good idea" when I commented about it on one of their YouTube videos, but I haven't looked into it further with them.

The whole point of buying a blond skin piece and dyeing it after is BECAUSE there aren't exposed knots, otherwise they could just be bleached. V-loops don't always look quite as natural as we've been led to believe, and maybe they're worse on some systems, but I've definitely had people ask me why my (v-looped) hair looks like doll hair, or they insist they can see a mesh base that isn't there (because of how the v-loops are arranged in the base) on what were supposed to be super-realistic pieces, and when the hairs start breaking, they leave little bits in the base along the hairline that also look weird. Flesh-toned v-loops disappear against the skin and look more natural. I've had it done in a normal hair salon (while wearing it), and I've read in other forums (e.g. the Northwest Lace Forum) that it's a thing that some wearers do (sometimes themselves, at home).

So basically, it can be done, and it looks better, but a lot of companies won't do it for liability reasons. But it would be nice if it was a standard option you could order from the factory.

Here are some threads discussing it, with pictures:

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
It's not that it CAN'T be done, it's that he doesn't want to do it, probably because he's worried it won't turn out right and and he doesn't want to deal with upset customers and refund demands and wasted inventory/effort.

I asked LAVivid if they would do it and they said they wouldn't because it's too hard and the rate of failure is high.
Coolpiece said their factory won't do it because there's too much risk of staining the base.
Northwest Lace said they won't do it, but a lady named Debbie who they refer people to might do it if you mail her the unit (I haven't contacted her yet).
NewTimesHair said it was "a really good idea" when I commented about it on one of their YouTube videos, but I haven't looked into it further with them.

The whole point of buying a blond skin piece and dyeing it after is BECAUSE there aren't exposed knots, otherwise they could just be bleached. V-loops don't always look quite as natural as we've been led to believe, and maybe they're worse on some systems, but I've definitely had people ask me why my (v-looped) hair looks like doll hair, or they insist they can see a mesh base that isn't there (because of how the v-loops are arranged in the base) on what were supposed to be super-realistic pieces, and when the hairs start breaking, they leave little bits in the base along the hairline that also look weird. Flesh-toned v-loops disappear against the skin and look more natural. I've had it done in a normal hair salon (while wearing it), and I've read in other forums (e.g. the Northwest Lace Forum) that it's a thing that some wearers do (sometimes themselves, at home).

So basically, it can be done, and it looks better, but a lot of companies won't do it for liability reasons. But it would be nice if it was a standard option you could order from the factory.

Here are some threads discussing it, with pictures:

My "custom" v loop poly.....was a stock unit recolored.

There was so much build-up of dye, at the base, it appeared to be unbleached knots. It looked aweful.

Last edited: