What shampoos to use?

G

I've noticed that when I use certain shampoos such as Therma Silk, Pantene and Herbal Essence, I notice a considerable increase in shedding. Particularly when I am conditioning my hair. It could all very well be in my head, but is there a shampoo out there that you guys find work well?

lentara

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, Lilith...
This is what I use that seems to work well...
Nizoral 1% 3 x a week. I usually use it Mon, Wed, Fri.
Avalon Organics Biotin complex shampoo...got it at drugstore.com
Thicker Fuller Hair Shampoo (avail at most stores)
For Conditioner I usually put some on the ends of the hair most days and then once a week do a deep conditioner. I was using Yves Rocher hair mask once a week but I'm out of that (it's mail order) so I may try Aussie 3 minute miracle...have heard good things on that.

athleticmom

Reaction score
lil, I remember reading somewhere a while ago about SOME ingredient in shampoos that could be problematic, but I forget what it was! Doh! Anyway, use a shampoo for thin or thinning hair. Your hair will look WAY better and you will feel better about it. I use Toppek from Spencer Forest (on-line) and my hair looks noticably better when I do. Even when I use Nizoral my hair just looks limp (ick, we don't like limp things, do we?!?!?).

G

Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate - surfactant used in acidic shampoos and other personal care formulations such as handsoaps and bath products. Used for its foaming properties and acidic pH values. It has the best viscosity response when formulated correctly and as a result can be used in rug and upholstery shampoos. Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate will give off an ammonia odor when the PH is alkaline. RATING: VERY HARSH-NOT RECOMMENDED.

Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS)-A white powder used as a detergent, emulsifier, and surfactant in cosmetics. It is a very powerful degreaser and is also used as a water "softener". SLS is found in most over-the-counter shampoos because of its viscousity and foam building properties. SLS is still considered rather harsh (although not as bad as the ammoniums.) RATING: HARSH-NOT RECOMMENDED.

Ammonium Laureth Sulfate
- derivative of coconut oil. A compound used to break up and remove oils and soil from the skin and hair. Has great foaming properties and many detergent uses. RATING: LESS HARSH-RECOMMENDED!

Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLES) - derivative of the coconut oil but the extraction process results in a milder surfacant. Has good viscousity and foaming properties and is used in a variety of soap products. Less irritating to the skin than its predecessors. RATING: MILD-RECOMMENDED!

Taken from http://www.naani.com/active_ingredient_definitions.htm

Although I know this doesn't help much in terms of an actual brand or type of shampoo you can go out and buy, at least now you can take a look next time at the ingredient list and see which type of cleansing agent is in the shampoo.

As for my personal favorites:

Aveda products, though expensive, have a nice earthy smell and are natural. They are guaranteed, therefore if you dislike it, you can always return it.

Thicker, Fuller Hair is a brand from the supermarket that is a thickening shampoo. The line has shampoo, conditioner, thickening serum and several other things, average priced, if not a buck more than usual Pantene or such. Never tried it but have heard good things about it.

Amplify line by Matrix, same as Thicker, Fuller Hair but you can only buy it from salons or some beauty supply store such as Pure Beauty. Tried it and really helps give the appearance of thicker hair. But as with all thickening shampoos, make sure to rotate, as it coats the hair and will cause buildup. Also it tends to dry out hair a lot so don't expect really soft locks.

Alterna brand...also only found in salons or beauty supply stores, also using more natural ingredients, though quite expensive. I have found it's Hemp Seed Deep Conditioner to work quite well. The Alterna and Amplify, if bought from a beauty supply store or salon, should be guaranteed, and if you don't like it, you can return it.

Good luck!

Laura :)

G

Hi guys,

Thank you so much for responding. I searched high and low for Thicker Fuller hair at several grocery stores, and Rite Aid pharmacies but could not find it. :( Hopefully I will have better luck just ordering it online. Until I find it though, I will be checking the labels on the shampoos I buy to make sure that those harsh chemicals are not in the product. I need every strand of hair that I can keep. :lol:

mayalopecia

Reaction score
Hi Lilith,

Try the big beauty stores for the ThickerFullerHair products. I've seen them at Ulta before.

-maya

G

shampoo

I use the revivogen shampoo alternating with nizoral. I think it is working well. I have still one are on my head where the hairs are quite short (took longer to grow in) but they are coming along.

Miloh

Reaction score
I really like Avalon Biotin shampoo and conditioner. They feel nice and make my hair soft. I also use Nizoral--I never had dandruff before using Minoxidil, but I do have it now. I suppose this is a fairly common side effect?

I haven't tried Thicker Fuller Hair shampoo, but I didn't like their "Volume Boost". It claims to give the appearance of thicker hair, but it's basically hair spray. Save your money, buy Aqua-net...

Has anyone tried Rusk brand Thick?

Cheers, Miloh

G

I've read that the agent in volume building shampoos that is most important is DIMETHICONE COPOLYOL, or just dimethicone. you'd be surprised by how many "volume" shampoos that don't have this as an active ingriedient. Thicker fuller products do, and I think the thicker fuller miracle thickening serum is pretty good, so long as you only use say a dime size and prefferably on dry hair. I also find that Dove volume shampoo works very well, and conditions well enough on its own. others are too drying, then the use of a conditioner on top of it can weigh ya down, which you certainly dont want to do. hope this helps anyone!

G

Hi all,

Thanks for all the response. I havn't checked in too often lately, been busy with the kids and all.

I bought so many different brands of shampoo's to sample that I have no bathroom space left...LOL. I do really like the thicker fuller hair shampoo, and the dove conditioner. I've noticed that the conditioner makes my hair soft and silky, something that I have not seen and felt in my hair for a long time.

Though growing it back is a different story :( . Still no luck with why I am loosing my hair. Though I got the Telogen Effluvium story again just last week from the derm...(sigh).