What Norwood Am I And Do My Temples Look Normal

Hairicane

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The one from a year ago too? That makes me feel a bit better then, knowing it hasn't gotten significantly worse in that time.

It's not noticable to the naked eye. Maybe there is some loss of a few hairs but I doubt it. I really think you're ok for a long while.

Randomguy02

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It's not noticable to the naked eye. Maybe there is some loss of a few hairs but I doubt it. I really think you're ok for a long while.
Thanks. Does it look like the temples are thinning any from those pictures?

Also, currently I am just taking biotin supplements, shampoo that's supposed to block DHT, and am using a 0.5mm dermiroller once a week (been doing that for only a week now though). Is that enough at this stage? I want to do whatever I can to stave off future hair loss, but I don't want to go crazy with treatments that could have major side effects unless I really absolutely don't have any recourse.

Umber

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The Norwood is typically determined by the shape of the hairline rather than the distance between the hairline and the eyebrows. So even if you would've started with a really damn low neanderthal hairline but your temples recede to the point where they start for most regular humans, that still would've meant that you had a receded hairline and would've classified as a NW2.

As for your case, I'd put it as a NW1. In fact, it looks better now than it did in that picture from 1 year ago. In that photo I'd rather say NW1,5. However, the hairs along your hairline do look like they're starting to miniaturize, but it could also be that they've always been baby hairs. Impossible to say

Randomguy02

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The Norwood is typically determined by the shape of the hairline rather than the distance between the hairline and the eyebrows. So even if you would've started with a really damn low neanderthal hairline but your temples recede to the point where they start for most regular humans, that still would've meant that you had a receded hairline and would've classified as a NW2.

As for your case, I'd put it as a NW1. In fact, it looks better now than it did in that picture from 1 year ago. In that photo I'd rather say NW1,5. However, the hairs along your hairline do look like they're starting to miniaturize, but it could also be that they've always been baby hairs. Impossible to say

Thay makes sense I suppose. At this stage should I have nothing to worry about then with a NW1 (maybe pushing Norwood 1.5) hairline at the age of 26? Do the temples look like they are thinning? Or do they do normal.

Basically its being stuck in the limbo of worrying about this but not knowing for sure if its fine or if its getting worse that's driving me crazy.

Randomguy02

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'd just like to thank everyone for all the responses. While I have not been able to stop my anxiety on the matter, hearing all of this has made me feel a lot better. My only real concern now is with my temples which I feel may be thinning/recedeing, but then again since I am apparently only a NW1 (maybe NW1.5) at 26 then I suppose this could just be a maturing hairline.

Are there any preventative steps I can do to stave off hair loss long term. I am really just looking for something to put my mind at ease so I can stop agonizing over this.

That said, the one bright side of things is that the one relative who do bald, my paternal grandfather, sucessfully had a hair transplant in his late 40s which has held up for decades after. So I guess worst case I have recourse there. Btw in terms of family history besides that, my maternal grandfather never went past NW3V even into his 80s, and my father is still a NW1.5, maybe starting to push NW2, in his 50s. No uncles to compare to and my brothers are all younger than me (though the eldest of my younger brothers who is 20 has a far worse hairline than me already. He is NW2, pushing NW2.5, though he always had a high forehead and had fine blonde hair so it may just be even a little recession would look way worse on him)

Last edited:

Randomguy02

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I know this thread is about my hairline and I had another threat about my crown a week or so ago, but does my hair look normal there?

20190524_110600.jpg 20190524_110655.jpg 20190524_110711.jpg 20190524_110617.jpg 20190524_110641.jpg

I promise this is my last question before I stop bothering everyone here.

Jakejr

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Your not too bad.. but what happens is some of your hairs have stopped sprouting like before & the hairline starts to look like it’s stunting instead of blooming. That’s what excess DHT does. So lower DHT, try some hair growing supplements

Randomguy02

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I apologize for bothering everyone again, but I have begun to get paranoid again and more than a bit paniced due to finding myself continuing to shed short 0.5inch to 1.0 inch hairs. These hairs seem to have normal thickness, and they all have the white bulb at the end. I keep fearing these are minified hairs and its a sign I am going bald despite the fact I had two dermatologists look at my hair and one even did a scalp biopsy on on my crown three months ago (they said I had Telogen effluvium )

Should I be concerned? Is this normal? I know from the pictures everyone says my hair look fine and it still looks thick, but the fact that I keep finding these short hairs is really freaking me out

Here are a set of current pictures I took in my current panic about this.
20190529_131220.jpg
20190529_131343.jpg 20190529_131306.jpg 20190529_131205.jpg 20190529_131425.jpg

Last edited:

Randomguy02

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have the same crown as you. I can make it look thick when I swirl and the day after I wash. But if I go a couple days without washing and wear a hat you clearly see the thinning.

Get your crown wet or go a couple days without washing and take a picture.

Are you saying my crown is thinning then? Everyone else, including two dermatologists, said it wasn't. Now I am freaking out a bit.

I don't wears hats, also everyone's hair looks like its thinning when wet I think.

Randomguy02

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Here are two more were i pushed my hair appart in the opposite direction as the whorl.

20190529_155520.jpg 20190529_155405.jpg

Sorry for bringing this up if people think I have no hair loss. My anxiety and fear of losing my hair has been bubbling over more and more recently and I just want to know for certain if I am losing my hair or not

Randomguy02

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Okay. Is it normal for my crown to look like those last two pictures when a "un-whorl" my hair the opposite direction it naturally falls?

I am just at the point where I'd take being told with certainty if I am losing my hair or not. Like, if I knew I 100% was I could begin treatment. But having to sit in this limbo state of not knowing for months or perhaps even years, is driving me crazy

Randomguy02

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I had increased shedding for about 2-3 months fron Mid January until the start of April, but that has tappered off now and I have been noticing far less shedding now.

I don't know if it feels thinner or not as I never really payed attention to it until December where I first noticed it. It feels thinner than the rest of my head, but everywhere around the whorl feels normal. I don't know if its normal for me or not as I havn't ever looked there before. My parents and siblings say they don't notice anything different, but still... it looks so bad sometimes and I swear I am balding, but other times it looks fine.

Again, the last two pictures were me pushing my hair in the opposite direction of the whorl, something my hair won't do on its own so I am not sure if I am just unnaturally making it look worse thar way.

My hairline seems to still be NW1 (maybe pushing into the start of NW1.5).

I just don't know what to do. I don't want to start on any stronget medication if its not needed, thus I would like to be certain I am balding first. But I am afraid that if I wait a year to find out and it does get worse I will never get it back to where it is now.

I am on the verge of a nervous breakdown. I've been freaking out about this for 5 months now and I don't know what to do.

Randomguy02

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Here are two pictures from a 5 months ago, right after I started worrying about this. Both are with significantly shorter hair.
20181227_153326.jpg 20181228_144806.jpg

And here are two from two months ago right after a haircut to a similar length

20190330_171931.jpg 20190404_090022.jpg

SamFT

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Really? My hairline is still only 2.1 to 2.2ish inches (three finger widths) from my eyebrows? Is this just a maturing hairline or should I be concerned that its male pattern baldness?

I am really worried about this. I started using a dermiroller this week so hopefully that will help. How much worse does it look compared to older pictures
It really doesn’t matter how many finger widths your hairline is away from your eyebrows. Some people have bigger or smaller foreheads than others. Now that you know that for you it’s 3 fingers just check every 6 months. Personally I think it’s way too early to tell if you’re even balding. Anyone giving you a Norwood 1 is blind and dumb. Keep taking pictures every 6 months. Average person sheds about 100 hairs a day as well. If you have thick hair it might be more just because you have more hair. Don’t worry and enjoy summer. If people on this forum are having a hard time determining if you’re balding then anyone you know will have absolutely no clue if you are or not so just relax.

Randomguy02

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It really doesn’t matter how many finger widths your hairline is away from your eyebrows. Some people have bigger or smaller foreheads than others. Now that you know that for you it’s 3 fingers just check every 6 months. Personally I think it’s way too early to tell if you’re even balding. Anyone giving you a Norwood 1 is blind and dumb. Keep taking pictures every 6 months. Average person sheds about 100 hairs a day as well. If you have thick hair it might be more just because you have more hair. Don’t worry and enjoy summer. If people on this forum are having a hard time determining if you’re balding then anyone you know will have absolutely no clue if you are or not so just relax.
Are you saying its worse than a NW1 or not even that yet? I thought NW1 is the default hairline with no balding?

Regardless, thank you for the advice. I know I am probably overreacting and worryingingn about nothing at this point. I am even going to be seeing a psychiatrist about my anxiety over this considering how its been taking over my life.

Last edited:

Moosey

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Kill yourself you f*****g f*****. You mentally retarded paranoid premature child