What next?

fairhaired

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I would be grateful for some advice.

I have receding temples, and my hair is going thin on top, but is still thick round the back.

I've been taken finasteride (about 0.8) for the last four days, and every day I have had bad pain in my testicles. It got to the point where it was even effecting me in work. As well as that, my semen has been watery, which is pretty scary to be honest. I have been using Nizoral 2% for about 2 weeks. What I want to know is, what do you think I should do next? I was dubious about finasteride originally, and this last week hasn't been good to me. So what do you think I should do? I would be grateful for any opinion. Thanks a lot.

knowingyou

Established Member
Reaction score
Cut down the dosage to 0.5mg or 0.2mg and see if the sides will go away, otherwise you have to drop it!!

fairhaired

Reaction score
knowingyou said:
Cut down the dosage to 0.5mg or 0.2mg and see if the sides will go away, otherwise you have to drop it!!

Yes I think you are right I will drop it. But I don't know what other options I should go for next? Just stick with Nizoral? What would people recommend I could try? I don't want to give up.

Nene

Reaction score
As suggested above, cutting down your dosage is a good option. Also, you can try to incorporate minoxidil into your regimen.

melvoin

Reaction score
Frankly, I would just shave my head and accept the baldness. If you can't use finasteride/dutasteride, you are fighting a losing battle.

Mew

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Cutting dosage makes no difference due to near flat dose response of drug.
0.25mg inhibits nearly same amount as 5mg. Therefore, side effects will be nearly the same:

http://www.physics.upenn.edu/facultyinf ... peciafda2/

Testicular pain is a listed side effect of the drug by Merck. It's likely due to your nuts working in overdrive to put out more Testosterone (upregulation) due to massive decrease in DHT.

If you don't like the side effects, it's simple: QUIT. Longterm upregulation of Testosterone is not healthy for the body, and since it can no longer convert to DHT, will almost certainly aromatize into estrogen (gynecomastia, weight gain etc) longterm.

zeroheat

Established Member
Reaction score
Many people have "reported" reduced side effects from reduced dosage. Try smaller dosage before quitting.

Mew

Experienced Member
Reaction score
zeroheat said:
Many people have "reported" reduced side effects from reduced dosage. Try smaller dosage before quitting.

Anecdotal reports are simply that: anecdotal, and most likely placebo.

The drug is scientifically documented by the FDA and other studies to potently inhibit 5AR2 enzyme even at microscoping doses, per the graphs in link above.

Correspondingly, any side effects experienced at 1mg will be the same at 0.25mg, due to near-flat inhibition of DHT no matter what dosage.

Azzy

Reaction score
try serenoa repens extract (95% fatty acids)...don't know if europeans are crazy or what but here in europe if u can't use finasteride doctors make u switch to saw palmetto or bohemeria nipononivea extracts...been on them for 2 years and they worked...then I had to quit cause minoxidil was irritating my scalp and dropped saw palmetto cause I was feeling like I was doing something harmful to my body...now I started again saw palmetto, don't know if I can post the name of the supplement I'm taking, I'm not a spammer