What kind of hair line can I expect?

klik

Reaction score
Hi

I'm a 21 year old guy and are in the early start of male pattern balding. I've been on propecia for 10 months now, and are probably something in between Norwood 1 and Norwood 2 (closer to Norwood 2 I think).

My father is 50 years old and a Norwood 4, like his father. My mothers father is also a Norwood 4 at the age of nearly 80, and kept his youthfull hair longer than my father did, and my mothers brother has no sign of male pattern baldness at the age of 45. I've looked at a lot of pictures of my father when he was 18-25, and it looks like I have a better hair line and more hair than him at the same age as he was, even before I started on propecia. The curse of my familiy's male pattern baldness is that it starts early, but I won't end up as a Norwood 6 or 7 at least (if I'm not unlucky).

All this makes be think that I'll probably end up as a Norwood 4 too.

I'm an admirer of Lost star Matthew Fox hairline, and would like to have a hair line like him. Here's some pictures of him:

emmys05g.jpg

normal_05view-032.jpg

1. Where on the Norwood scale is he? Norwood 1 or Norwood 2? Does he have a mature hairline, or is he one of the few lucky caucasian that have
kept their teenage hairline all his life?

2. Will I be able to cut my hair as short as he has on this picture if I'm doing a hair transplant? Or will the scar be visible?

3. Considering that I'll probably end up as a Norwood 4 when I'm 50, will I be able to get a hairline like Matthew Fox with hair transplants (considering I won't use any of my donor hear to cover my crown, just my hairline)? Or is it just a wet dream?

Maybe you'll think that this post is weird, but I thought that getting some comments on Matthew Foxs hair line would give me a better picture of the Norwood Scale, and maybe a more realistic view on what a hair transplant could do :wink:

techprof

Experienced Member
Reaction score
none of my family members (mother and father's side) went past NW4.
I was NW6 by 28. Now I am 30.
Don't get a hair transplant until you are into late twenties or thirties and/or your loss is stabilized.

klik

Reaction score
Thanks for the response :)

I won't consider a hair transplant untill I'm at least 26, but so far it looks like I have more hair than my father, and he is a norwood 4. So far so "good" (if you could call balding that :cry: )

I just wonder what you can expect from a transplant, and want to know what the difference between a Norwood 1 and 2 is. I thought Matthew Fox would give me a good picture of it. I guess he is a Norwood 1, but I wonder if he has a mature hair line?

Aplunk1

Reaction score
Depending on the doctor, you can conceivably have a Norwood 1 - Norwood 3 for a hairline.

H&W tend to perform more conservative hairlines.

Alvi Armani tends to recreate lower and more youthful hairlines.

It's all about your expectations, density, hair characteristics, etc.

klik

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for your response, I know it's impossible to answer questions like mine without beeing a doctor and witouth pictures of me.

I've always had a very unsymmetric hairline which I've wanted to do something about.

I've started to thin at the crown (very little) and I've maybe started to get a mature hair line. I know it's balding in my family, so I will get bald too, probably a NW4.

So I want to perform a hair transplant, but I will of course wait at least 5 more years to see how much I will bald. I will waite for HM for my crown when it gets bald, but I want a better hair line in my 20s.

It would be great if someone could tell me if Matthew Fox is a NW1 or NW2, and if he has a mature hair line or not. It would help me a lot in getting a realistic picture of the norwood scale.

Aplunk1

Reaction score
He is a Norwood 1, with slight temple recession.

That hairline can be recreated by a few, but talented surgeons.

Of course, there's nothing wrong with a little recession.

global

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I don't think he even has temple recession, I think that's just how his hairline is, it's not even really a mature hairline.

klik

Reaction score
I hope I will lose maximum the same amount of hair as my dad, hopefully less. The forthcoming years will be very crucial for me.

I've saved up money for a hair transplant and all, and are just waiting to see how my male pattern baldness will progress. I hope I will see my pattern in 5 years, when I'm 26. I'll just have to keep fighting my hair loss with Propecia and other stuff until then.

Thanks a lot for your help again guys, I'll try to educate my self about male pattern baldness in the years to come, so expect to see me here :)

I think my goal would be to go from a Norwood 4V(if I end up there) to a Norwood 1V, waiting for HM to cover my crown and try to stop my hair loss at the crown with propecia etc. untill HM are out.

G

Klik,

Welcome to this forum and nice to see you participate. Mathew Fox does not appear to have male pattern baldness in any way. He just has a mature hair line that pulled back from his youth related to age only, not male pattern baldness.

How old do you think he is? Take a close look at the corners of his eyes. Those profound wrinkles are called crows feet. He's older than you might think.

Thnak goodness you're not considering any hair transplants right now. If you are thinning in your crown, than the medicinal path is the path to take so IMO, you're doing the right thing.

And I'm also glas to hear no one in your family history went beyond class 4. But there are some like techprof who make a valid point. The other thing. It is surgically impossible to attain the density levels from mother nature, but it is possible to attain the illusion of that providing the patient has minimal genetic hairloss.

Keep researching like you're doing and keep up your great attitude!

klik

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for your encouraging words gillenator :D

Matthew Fox is one lucky b******. He looks great for beeing 40 years old, and I think his hair line deserves a lot of credit for that! I whish I could have his hair when I'm 40, let's hope HM is out in 10 years time.

I'm on Propecia now, and have ordered Nizoral 1%. I'm probably going to start with Minoxil after the summer. I'll take pictures of my progress and post them here if they're showing anything interesting in 6 months time.

I have one last question though; can I cut my hair as short as Matthew Fox has on the pictures if I'm having a hair transplant? Or will a short cut like that just destroy the illusion of hair a hair transplant creates, and make my hair look really thin and weird?

G

klik,

You're very welcome. Wow, I had no idea he was 40 years old! Glad to hear you're taking the offensive moves with the meds. You are doing the right thing for now.

Your question about wearing the short hair style like Matt? It' really depends on your hair characteristics, mainly caliper, and how much density will be there. No surgeon can give you back the density you got from birth but, if you have a fair amount of natural hair in the area, then you should be okay. You'll never know until you get to that point and try it. :hairy:

metalheaddude

Reaction score
Re:

Aplunk1 said:
He is a Norwood 1, with slight temple recession.

That hairline can be recreated by a few, but talented surgeons.

Of course, there's nothing wrong with a little recession.

I cant believe you think Fox has temple recession or even a mature hairline! He in no way has suffered from male pattern baldness or a mature hairline in anyway shape or form. If what they say is true that 95% of caucasian males get mature hairlines from 18-30, well he is the other 5% without a shadow of a doubt. :shakehead: