What Is The Minoxi - Deal... ... .. ?

Jacky

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi... Long time lurker here. Went for a hair transplant consultation about a month ago and looking for some advice about minoxidil. I am slightly thinning in the crown and mid-section but there are no gaps and it wouldn't be noticeable to people unless they were to get really close and move my hair around, but I am receding from the front, probably back about 1cm from my hairline at its best and a bit thinner at the temples, forever I am 38 years old...

At my hair transplant consultation it was suggested 4500 hairs would be needed to fix the front, more than I would have thought but not hugely so. Currently there are no gaps at the crown or in the middle so they wouldn't do anything there but they did advise me to start minoxidil. After reading mixed reviews on this forum about starting minoxidil I thought I would gather some opinions.... So that's what I'm after... They also recommended Saw Palmetto as a supplement which I haven't seen a lot of discussion on

Any advice is appreciated, I will continue to read and might start another couple of posts to explore the best surgeons

Thanks

yetti

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Hi... Long time lurker here. Went for a hair transplant consultation about a month ago and looking for some advice about minoxidil. I am slightly thinning in the crown and mid-section but there are no gaps and it wouldn't be noticeable to people unless they were to get really close and move my hair around, but I am receding from the front, probably back about 1cm from my hairline at its best and a bit thinner at the temples, forever I am 38 years old...

At my hair transplant consultation it was suggested 4500 hairs would be needed to fix the front, more than I would have thought but not hugely so. Currently there are no gaps at the crown or in the middle so they wouldn't do anything there but they did advise me to start minoxidil. After reading mixed reviews on this forum about starting minoxidil I thought I would gather some opinions.... So that's what I'm after... They also recommended Saw Palmetto as a supplement which I haven't seen a lot of discussion on

Any advice is appreciated, I will continue to read and might start another couple of posts to explore the best surgeons

Thanks

Are you actually 38? If so then your hair sounds pretty normal for that age and I wouldnt consider a transplant. I'm a few years older than that, I had hair like yours, I've been taking minoxidil for a couple of years and it has been helpful.

Jacky

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah. I'm 38. The transplant would be to fix the recession at the front. It's patchy and gone backwards about a cm.

I am nervous about losing lots in the crown or midsection though. That's why I'm open to medication to treat this. The hair transplant surgeon didn't mention propecia or finasteride though

I think with the surgery at the front I'd have an enviable hairline... Just want to make sure I look after the rest of the hair as best as possible. I'm also hoping there will be cutting edge treatments in the next 5-10 years

yetti

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Yeah. I'm 38. The transplant would be to fix the recession at the front. It's patchy and gone backwards about a cm.

I am nervous about losing lots in the crown or midsection though. That's why I'm open to medication to treat this. The hair transplant surgeon didn't mention propecia or finasteride though

I think with the surgery at the front I'd have an enviable hairline... Just want to make sure I look after the rest of the hair as best as possible. I'm also hoping there will be cutting edge treatments in the next 5-10 years

I apply 4ml of minoxidil once a day, at night. 2ml on the crown, and 1 ml on each side of the hairline. That's kept me above baseline on both for 27 months.

I just kinda wonder, based on your description, if you really need a hair transplant in front. The way you describe it it sounds quite normal at 38. Having no recession at that age would be abnormal. I'm not surprised that a hair transplant surgeon would want the business, but...

yetti

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Yeah... I probably don't need it. But I do want my old hairline back

FWIW minoxidil improved my hairline. And although I dont take it I think the minoxidil/finasteride combination would be even more effective.

I do hear what you are saying. I remember a few years ago I started losing hair and also started gaining a gut at the same time. And I freaked out, thinking that within a year I'll have gone from a thinnish guy with a good head of hair to a fat bald guy. I could live with that but it would have been a pretty quick transformation. LOL. I'm not going to cry and say "aging sucks" but yeah you do have to watch yourself. I think @rclark is in a similar boat too... not quite young anymore but doing a decent job of looking decent.

yetti

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Thanks, guys

So in essence, you'd recommend I start the minoxidil?

Yeah I think its worth trying. As long as you understand that you need to use it every day, and if you stop you'll lose all your gains quickly and it'll be a stark change.

TONS above isnt wrong, finasteride is likely more effective. But it comes with a different set of possible side effects too. If your rate of hair loss isnt that fast min could be effective for a long time. That said min alone will probably bring you back to baseline and then below baseline at some point if finasteride isnt added.

kj6723

My Regimen
Reaction score

Thanks

4500 grafts to fix 1 cm of recession sounds like a lot, and recommending saw palmetto....who is this surgeon? Sounds questionable to me. Make sure you do your research

Jacky

My Regimen
Reaction score
4500 grafts to fix 1 cm of recession sounds like a lot, and recommending saw palmetto....who is this surgeon? Sounds questionable to me. Make sure you do your research

I thought it was a lot. But it's 4500 hairs rather than grafts. They didn't talk in grafts. I assume that's because they charge per hair. I assumed that would be around 1800 grafts...

I'm not sure I'm going to go with this surgeon, they're UK based and from what I've read there isn't a recommended surgeon that is UK based. I was going to send some pictures to a couple of Belgium based surgeons and to Erdogan and see what they said. I wanted to physically meet one and see what they say as kind of a baseline. Which I've done now

1knox1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

My thoughts exactly.