What is the cheapest way to use 0.5 mg finasteride?

Pirate Commander F.B.

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi people,

I want to start finasteride. I've read up on the different forums and I would like to start with a dose of 0.5mg. So is it possible to cut proscar into 8ths? Does anyone do this? I would like to keep it as cheap as possible.

Any ideas or advice is very welcome.

Thank you,

Pirate Commander Fluffy Boots.

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
You should start with 1mg if you're interested in seeing results.

You can split the finasteride into 5ths but even that is difficult with Proscar. Others dissolve a pill into 5 equal parts in alcohol and take a "part" every day, getting exactly 1/5th of the pill.

Make sure you're also on Nizoral shampoo once every 3 days, and good luck!

HairLossTalk.com

Pirate Commander F.B.

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your answer.

I thought the difference in dht inhibition between 0..5 mg and 1mg is quite small? 0.5 mg seems to be (from what I've read from forum users) a good dose to avoid side effects. I've put off using finasteride for some time now cause I'm paranoid about side effects but I now feel I have no choice left.

I guess I'ld better start looking for a good place to buy propecia to cut in half. If that goes well, my paranoia will probably subside and I'll increase the dose.

Pirate Commander F.B.

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok my previous post looks like I'm talking to myself. Please ignore. :lol:

The alcohol idea could be a viable way though. I don't mind some fuss to save money. Could you tell me a little more on how to do this? What kind of alcohol is used for this, how much and how do you measure the appropriate amount (assuming you're using just a small amount of alcohol)?

Rage

Established Member
Reaction score
The whole halving dose, reducing side effects is so paradoxical !

You have side effects because of the inhibitation of DHT, so you take measures to reduce the level of inhibitation.. which also means you reduce the effectiveness of the treatment on your hair loss, which is why you took the treatment in the first place!

And about the alchohol - does anyone know if this will inactivate finasteride? How could anyone know...

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
Keep in mind the microdosing study on Propecia was not done for the same amount of time, nor the same number of people. I personally lost most of my results when I went from 1mg to 0.5mg. I just think its more intelligent to do what we know for sure works, than to risk it, but its your decision.

HairLossTalk.com

bombscience

Reaction score
HairlossTalk said:

You can split the finasteride into 5ths but even that is difficult with Proscar. Others dissolve a pill into 5 equal parts in alcohol and take a "part" every day, getting exactly 1/5th of the pill.

Make sure you're also on Nizoral shampoo once every 3 days, and good luck!

HairLossTalk.com

Proscar Jack Shots. Sounds just like what i need.

Pirate Commander F.B.

Established Member
Reaction score
Thank you very much Hairlosstalk. I will order proscar from qhi soon. I'll try to take pictures of my progress, but don't know if I can afford a digital camera at the moment.