What is the cause of my Telogen Effluvium?

What is the cause of my rapid hair loss that began in June?

• A viral infection lasting less than a week in March but bad enough to keep me home from school with

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Neuro

Reaction score
Hi. This is my first post and I would greatly appreciate anybody's insight. I am 18 and leaving for college on Wednesday, but honestly, all excitement for college has been killed thanks to my hair situation. Here's a little background:

My dermatologist said I have telogen effluvium that is ascribed to a short but incapacitating illness that I had in March. The rapid hair loss began in June. In May, I stopped my Propecia (started it several months prior for male pattern baldness that wasn’t bad, but I, a self-concious guy, noticed) for about three weeks, even though it seemed to be working splendidly, because it was so expensive. A few falling hairs told me to get back on Propecia, which I am still taking. It’s now almost September and the hair is still falling out quickly with my scalp becoming more and more obvious. I got blood work done to rule otu the possibility of an autoimmune disorder; the results were normal.

Now I have a few questions:

1. I have hair loss only on the top of my head. Doesn’t Telogen Effluvium normally affect the whole scalp, including sides and back? Could this still be Telogen Effluvium?

2. Could a hormonal fluctuation due to the stopping of Propecia treatment in May be the cause of sudden, rapid hair loss? Would it therefore help to stop Telogen Effluvium if I stop taking Propecia? Perhaps a change in DHT levels in my scalp is affecting the hair…

3. What if there’s no new growth beneath the telogen hairs? My mom says she sees black dots on my scalp but can’t see if there are new hairs growing.

4.Is the white bulb at the hair root indicative of temporary hair loss or is it also shown in the hair that comes from male pattern baldness? I’m just wondering if I have greatly accelerated male pattern baldness instead of Telogen Effluvium.

Now the most important question: What do you think is the real cause of my sudden, rapid hair loss?

Thanks!!

Reaction score
yes, Telogen Effluvium affects all areas of the scalp. i too have Telogen Effluvium and when i scratch the sides and back or gently pull hairs from there i can, at time, pull out 3 to for. this morning i scratched my left side, just above the ears, and 6 hairs made its way to the sink. But i don't know how long it lasts or why it happens. all i know is that ever since i was back on finasteride it started or atleast i think it started then. i m not sure because i find thin and weak hairs there too so it could have happened way before.

Neuro

Reaction score
So do you think it's the Propecia that is causing my large amount of shedding? I just got a list of my refills for it, and based on that it seems like I stopped taking Propecia for about 10 days before restarting. Now I have a increasingly visible bald spot compared to nothing before stopping.

When you shed a hair, is there a new hair below sprouting up, or does it take a while for it to grow out?

Neuro

Reaction score
It's telogen effluvium.

Does anybody have anything to say in response to my questions?

Reaction score
Neuro said:
So do you think it's the Propecia that is causing my large amount of shedding? I just got a list of my refills for it, and based on that it seems like I stopped taking Propecia for about 10 days before restarting. Now I have a increasingly visible bald spot compared to nothing before stopping.

When you shed a hair, is there a new hair below sprouting up, or does it take a while for it to grow out?

don't really know what is causing your baldspot but i have been off finasteride for a year it has definitely made my hair ALOT thinner from EVERYWHERE. your case might be different becuase its only been 10 days so i think your body was used to finasteride in your system.

it takes mothns before you regrow the hair you lost.

rawbd

Reaction score
newguytothisforum said:
Neuro said:

don't really know what is causing your baldspot but i have been off finasteride for a year it has definitely made my hair ALOT thinner from EVERYWHERE. your case might be different becuase its only been 10 days so i think your body was used to finasteride in your system.

it takes mothns before you regrow the hair you lost.

I second your post. A few weeks into taking finasteride and my hair all over started thinning and my eyebrows as well. Coincidence, I don't know.