What Is The Best Way To Thin A Hair Piece?

GeorgeW1960

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have finally found a place that can send me stock units that are the right color, grey%, size . But not density. I read once that using thinning shears is a bad idea. Plucking one at a time is a chore. Any one have successful experience thinning their piece?

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have finally found a place that can send me stock units that are the right color, grey%, size . But not density. I read once that using thinning shears is a bad idea. Plucking one at a time is a chore. Any one have successful experience thinning their piece?

I'm not sure who told you that, or where you read it. I used hair thinning shears on my first hair system to thin the density and it was no problem at all. Just be gentle with it and you'll be fine. Ideally of course you want to purchase a system that is the right density for you, but you can definitely thin it out with hair shears. Best of luck.

Noah

Reaction score
If it's a lace unit you can also thin it by dotting a selection of the knots on the underside of the base with a chemical hair remover, like Nair. If works the same as plucking the hairs. Be conservative though - it is hard to assess the effect.

AxC123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
as my custom order is still delayed, i decided to give this NAIR hair removal technique a try. Saw a video on another hair loss forum. Given I wear synthetic grey, mixed with 20% of 1B human, and that my custom color is 100% grey at front and 80% at back, I decided to buy a stock 80% synthetic grey, with a higher than usual density. Applied NAIR to the front hairline only ( about on inch wide, temple to temple) Was afraid that synthetic or lace would disolve, but, to my joy and excitement, only black human hair got disolved ,( OK had to pull lots on hair to dislodge it) ..
resulting in a more grey hairline, with no dark knots ( or almost none) and a graduated hairline ( ie, less density)..super easy and fast technique.
thought of sharing for those looking for similar color dispersion... Covid does bring out creativity in us ...
pics are dark human hair once NAIR applied, ( no grey as NAIR doesn't work on synthetic grey hair ) and piece after process.
20200914_173029_resized.jpg
20200914_191123_resized.jpg

HairPiece

My Regimen
Reaction score
as my custom order is still delayed, i decided to give this NAIR hair removal technique a try. Saw a video on another hair loss forum. Given I wear synthetic grey, mixed with 20% of 1B human, and that my custom color is 100% grey at front and 80% at back, I decided to buy a stock 80% synthetic grey, with a higher than usual density. Applied NAIR to the front hairline only ( about on inch wide, temple to temple) Was afraid that synthetic or lace would disolve, but, to my joy and excitement, only black human hair got disolved ,( OK had to pull lots on hair to dislodge it) ..
resulting in a more grey hairline, with no dark knots ( or almost none) and a graduated hairline ( ie, less density)..super easy and fast technique.
thought of sharing for those looking for similar color dispersion... Covid does bring out creativity in us ...
pics are dark human hair once NAIR applied, ( no grey as NAIR doesn't work on synthetic grey hair ) and piece after process.
View attachment 145813 View attachment 145812
It is really cool

AxC123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I agree, cool technique.
I did it one another piece i received yesterday as I am stocking up given second wave.

Not sure if mentioned it, but unit is French lace, a bit stronger than Swiss. Here a pic of second unit, with human 1b removed from front hairline using nair.
20201002_111827.jpg

Diesel guy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
My stylist started using a straight razor to thin my system. I have a French lace system, and she uses a straight edge razor and cut right at the base - never breaking the lace. She always does this at roughly a 45degree angle from my part. After we thin it a bit, then she takes the sheers and gets rid fo the bulk. The results are AMAZING. It gives me a hairstyle where I literally spray a bit of water and leave in. She does this once we reattach it onto my head.

Because of the shortage in Custom units - I am wearing a UTS - because of the v-looping (I am assuming), we just didn't get the same effect.

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
I second Nair, but have never tried it - I've seen a girl do it online. It's on YouTube. I saw it ages ago - but it's called something like thinning out a wig that's too dense...

AxC123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I use thinning shears/scissors. It's never perfect, and it's more luck than skill, but what the heck.

Utra Think skins usually have lower density and are injected in the poly (not knots) so no, NAIR wouldn't work. If it is to thin out front hairline, i would pull hair stands , easily removable as Injected

deg_dilemma

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
UTS is often v-looped so pulling hair out would leave the 'root' in the base. This isn't a problem if the hair is light coloured, but it is a big problem if the hair is dark (imagine dark knots easily visible). I don't think there is any other way to thin a v-looped UTS other than thinning scissors.

AxC123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
UTS is often v-looped so pulling hair out would leave the 'root' in the base. This isn't a problem if the hair is light coloured, but it is a big problem if the hair is dark (imagine dark knots easily visible). I don't think there is any other way to thin a v-looped UTS other than thinning scissors.
I have thinned out UTS by wetting the system, then pulling strands if hair with twisers, the root is removed from uts. As there were no more lace, i ordered uts 1b, 80, and removed black hair one inch from front hairline. I did not like the vloop look of black hair at the hairline, grey no problem at all