What is the best type of minoxidil to use

Jack Ito

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I’m looking to start minoxidil and was wondering what the best type is to use. I.e should I get a foam or spray based product, possibly even shampoo?

Also, what is the best routine in terms of application.. once or twice a day?

Lil_Ribeye

My Regimen
Reaction score
Foam is a scam IMO, shampoos wash out so also a scam.
Yes foam sucks!....get liquid!!.....also...be careful from buying online stores. I bought a 3 month supply of name brand Rogaine from Walmart.com for $25. ....should have known better. It felt like water rubbing it in. Anyone that uses minoxidil knows that it has an oily greasy feel too it.

Hairguru

My Regimen
Reaction score
5% and 15%, I prefer foam. I use the products from Minoxidilmax.

Last edited:

ninarosshairtherapy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Minoxidil Solution (Liquid):
  • Pros:
    • Potentially more versatile: The dropper application allows for more targeted application, especially for those with early hair loss or patchy hair loss.
    • Faster drying time: The liquid dries faster than foam, which might be preferable for some people.
    • Generally less expensive: Liquid minoxidil is often cheaper than the foam version.
  • Cons:
    • Can be messy to apply: The dropper application can be messy, and the liquid might drip or run if not applied carefully.
    • Potential for scalp irritation: The liquid contains propylene glycol, which can irritate the scalp in some people.
    • May not be ideal for long hair: Applying the liquid to the scalp can be difficult with long hair.
Minoxidil Foam:
  • Pros:
    • Easier to apply: The foam is easier to apply and distribute evenly on the scalp, especially for people with long hair.
    • Less messy: The foam is less messy to apply than the liquid solution.
    • Gentler on the scalp: The foam generally doesn't contain propylene glycol, making it less likely to irritate the scalp.
  • Cons:
    • Potentially less targeted application: The foam might not be as easy to target specific areas of the scalp compared to the liquid.
    • Slower drying time: The foam takes longer to dry than the liquid solution, which might be inconvenient for some.
    • Generally more expensive: Minoxidil foam is often more expensive than the liquid version.

Cosmiq86

My Regimen
Reaction score
I’m looking to start minoxidil and was wondering what the best type is to use. I.e should I get a foam or spray based product, possibly even shampoo?

Also, what is the best routine in terms of application.. once or twice a day?

Hey, for a hassle-free application that fits seamlessly into your routine, I'd recommend going for a foam-based product. It's quick, easy, and less messy than sprays or shampoos.

As for application frequency, twice a day is the way to go for optimal results. Consistency is key!