What is it about finasteride?

So

Established Member
Reaction score
So my shedding is obscenely aggressive, it's horrific, sickening, etc. Whatever..

Since beginning Propecia, my hair has gone CAPUT!

Despite this fact, what is it about Propecia (finasteride) that could cause an adverse reaction in some people? Does anyone know the biochemical process that could be occurring adversely?

JDW

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Did I read somewhere that whilst finasteride lowers dht it actually raises levels of testosterone? You'd probably have to ask someone like College Chem Student or someone more knowledgeable but I seem to recall something along these lines... may be badly wrong but if it's the case then perhaps it's due to this that some people get affected.

can anyone verify this info?

So

Established Member
Reaction score
I've heard that there is the increased Estradiol factor that needs to be addressed.

Frustrating.

lain

Established Member
Reaction score
I believe its cos when your DHT is lowered your brain sends a signal to your balls to make more testosterone in order to level up on the missing DHT.

Your body ends up having about 10% extra testosterone while on finasteride because of this.

Im too tired to research my memory so if im wrong, im wrong. :p

Nick4441

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Same here at over 3 months. Are you going to stop or reduce as you are at 7 months and really should have turned around by now. Doesn't give me much confidence to continue and I only wanted to stop loss not double the rate of loss which seems to be what's happened.

I get same concerns that it works negatively for some and we are just making it worse and maybe we should either move to dutasteride or just stop and rely on minoxidil.

JDW

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The frustrating thing is, there's just no way of knowing! If it's any consolation after my huge shed things have levelled off as far as loss is concerned but htere's no sign of regrowth.

Nick4441

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Good to hear its levelled of JDW,that is a positive. Really hope that that's the turning point and some regrowth coming.

levelling off I would be happy with.

I'm makng sure lately that i'm more reguated with the minoxidil application as the finasteride doe not seem to be stopping loss..surely one of them has to do the job.

Its red nose day next week, seriously thinking about shaving for sponsorship..would be a good excuse.

So

Established Member
Reaction score
I think, no doubt I have an underlying case of Telogen Effluvium coupled with male pattern baldness. I think many people do but seldom do they realize. I can pull hair from any part of my head simply by running my hands through with no effort.

This spells big trouble.

I will remain on the finasteride, and see out my next prescription however I am looking at some other more viable options such as mental, biological and physiological stressors to reduce the problem as I believe that it is because of such variables that my hair loss ensues.