what is finasteride best for?

Reaction score
i have like a Norwood 2.5 or 3 with thinning all around on the top of the head (especially hairline). so is finasteride supposed to be best for all the thinning, even up to the front (and center hairline) or is it ONLY good for the back?
i've been reading a lot on these forums but still am not really sure. im also 17 if that helps

thanks.

pinkfloyd7

Established Member
Reaction score
it works best at the crown. mid scalp it also works well. there have been studies that say it can maintain or possibly even regrow hair on the hairline but its much harder. But the good thing is if you just started losing your hair your chances are a LOT better at maintaing your hair. And if you can maintain your hair then you can say propecia saved your life.

BornBaldDieBald

Established Member
Reaction score
hairisthinning said:
i have like a Norwood 2.5 or 3 with thinning all around on the top of the head (especially hairline). so is finasteride supposed to be best for all the thinning, even up to the front (and center hairline) or is it ONLY good for the back?
i've been reading a lot on these forums but still am not really sure. im also 17 if that helps

thanks.

In my opinion I do not see why Propecia would not work on the hairline. The reason they do not advertise this aspect is because they have not been able to PROVE it in clinical studies. It is also a problem of:

1) By the time treatment is started, the front is more progressed in the male pattern baldness, and thus harder to treat.
2) Some have suggested that the frontal hair is much more sensitive to testosterone rather than DHT. Thus it may be a problem of trying to kill two birds with one stone, and propecia unfortunately only works to lower DHT.