What is a NW1 hairline?

bobbybrucato

Reaction score
I made a thread asking people their opinion on whether I am balding or not, and someone told me that my hairline is transitioning from a juvenile hairline to a NW1 hairline. The problem is I don't know what a NW1 hairline is?? Is that a good or bad thing?

Also, if anyone would take a look at my post, with pictures, it would be a big help. My mom's side has a history of baldness, and my uncle lost most of his hair very rapidly within a matter of months when he was 17. However, I am almost 18 so I think I may be in the clear (atleast for very dramatic, rapid loss).

This is the link:
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=65027

Kev123

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You're not heading to NW1, looks more like a NW93, good lord. Get on meds quick.

Kev123

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
JK.

I don't think you're on the Norwood scale yet. Have you talked to your doctor or a dermatologist about your hair loss?

Primo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Can't possibly tell where you are on the Norwood scale in those pics mate, they're far too dark. Take some in a lighter environment. Although from here it looks like natural progression to NW1, very minor temple less at the sides, which is barely noticeable, I wish my hair was "balding" like that!

haunted-ballroom

Experienced Member
Reaction score
NW1 is supposed to represent a juvenille hairline with no signs of male pattern baldness or maturing of the hairline. No such thing as a NW0, despite what some people around here think.

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score
You're young dude, stop worrying right now. Looks like slight transition to a NW1 from juvenile kid hairline IF ANYTHING AT ALL.

elliotramsey

Established Member
Reaction score
Stop freaking out, nomatter what anyone tells you. You are NOT balding!!

Try again in 2 years

bobbybrucato

Reaction score
Thanks guys.

The only reason I'm freaking out so much is because it run's in my family on my Mom's side..

Kev123

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
haunted-ballroom said:
NW1 is supposed to represent a juvenille hairline with no signs of male pattern baldness or maturing of the hairline. No such thing as a NW0, despite what some people around here think.

That is strange. In wikipedia it says:

Hamilton-Norwood scale

The progression of male pattern baldness is generally classified on the Hamilton-Norwood scale, which ranges from stages I to VII.

The Norwood scale is only for male pattern baldness, from what it says in wikipedia. So if NW1 is supposed to show a juvenile hairline with no signs of pattern baldness, then why is it on a scale that represents balding men?

Plus in another website it says "Type I. The type one pattern indicates minimal hair loss."

NW1 can't be a juvenile hair line with no signs of pattern baldness, and a type that indicates minimal hairloss, at the same time.

But then again i'm not a doctor and only began really understanding hair loss in 2009, so you can be absolutely right.

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score
NW1 is not a juvenile hairline. NW1 is the standard angeled corners that most men get regardless of if they start to bald more or not.

LooseItAll

Established Member
Reaction score
Juvenile hairline:
Alistair_Overeem_1000632.jpg

NW1:
pic7224609011346815739693.jpg

bigentries

Established Member
Reaction score
That kind of low hairline is an anomaly. Most kids have a hairline that resemble Pitt's

Rassman does consider the NW1 and the mature hairline to be the same thing. Although he has a better approach to calculate where the juvenile hairline was

I still don't fully like the Norwood scale.
What about the ones who always had high hairlines to begin with?

I've always had a huge forehead, but I could sponge all my hair into an afro because I had that much density. Only a fool would believe I was balding