What Is A Diffuse Thinner Supposed To Do?

Demitri

My Regimen
Reaction score
I finally got my hair to stop falling out with meds. Happy with the hairline but overall density is weak. Do I transplant in hopes the hair gain exceeds the shock loss? I'm 34 and on dutasteride, so I'll be waiting forever for more hair to fall out.

Forester

My Regimen
Reaction score
Posted this in FUE forum as well, it isnt my intention to spam but couldnt get any replies there.

I am in similar situation as you OP

Just wanted to ask/confirm a few things:

Here are photos of my "hair" right now.
I am on mino + fina + dermarolling (couple of times a week).
Anyway, obviously a heavy diffuse thinner.

Is there even any point in trying to get a hair transplant? Even if I did wouldn't it just look awkward, for a short while it might look fuller, but then the rest of the "old" hair falls out and it's just silly looking, right?
Besides, it would probably require a whole lot of grafts, no?

Appreciate any comments.

Attachments

• 20191219_090521.jpg
    20191219_090521.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 665
  • 20191219_090511.jpg
    20191219_090511.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 682
  • 20191219_090442.jpg
    20191219_090442.jpg
    234.6 KB · Views: 651
  • 20191219_090503.jpg
    20191219_090503.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 754

whatintheworld

Reaction score
I am in a similar situation, perhaps a bit more diffuse than you. I still have hairs on my crown even though they are weak and wispy, but this is the first area I would like to get a transplant on. Im not expecting full coverage as I need to save grafts for the front, but I would just like enough to where if I add concealer, I can pass for "good enough" to the untrained eyes of most people.

However, I'm also worried that a transplant would damage my existing weak hairs, which still provide some, albeit marginal, cosmetic help. So I don't know if I should wait until those fall out, if I should stop applying minoxidil there so I guarantee that they do fall out, or to just get a transplant and hope that they don't. For reference, I've been on finasteride and minoxidil for 3 years already.

Linda Davis

My Regimen
Reaction score
In simplest terms, diffuse thinning refers to the shedding/thinning of hair throughout the scalp. This is in contrast to hair loss that occurs primarily at the temples and hairline (such as seen in pattern hair loss) or in solid patches (most often seen in alopecia areata.

Balding Boulder

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
There are two main types of diffuse thinning: patterned and unpatterned. If you are the latter then you are not a good candidate for a hair transplant. If the former then it is possible if done with caution.

GrowPro

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Diffuse thinners are not good candidates for an hair transplant if the donor area is not strong and is also diffuse, it would be a waste of money, time, effort, that said, diffuse thinners seem to get good results from finasteride, minoxidil & microneedling, Nizoral.

But, definitely get a consultation with a pro hair transplant Doctor to evaluate your thinning.