What if your DHT is low?

Schitz Popinov

Established Member
Reaction score
I posted results of recent blood panel about a month or so ago. I suspected that I was going to see elevated DHT or something hinting at a conversion issue going on. As it would turn out, my DHT is below range and my total/free testosterone towards the bottom of their ranges.

So what does that mean exactly? Where else do I need to be looking for answers?

talmoode

Experienced Member
Reaction score
thyroid? vitamin D dificiency? dermatitis?
even though you have low DHT level, if your hair follicles are susecptible to DHT, you can still go bald.

Schitz Popinov

Established Member
Reaction score
are you on finasteride?

I'm not on anything. After extensive reading, I have recently been putting together some ideas to start taking Taurine, using Regenepure or nizoral, and then using Folligen/Tricomin with extra copper peptides added to it.

- - - Updated - - -

thyroid? vitamin D dificiency? dermatitis?
even though you have low DHT level, if your hair follicles are susecptible to DHT, you can still go bald.

Ya, I realize follicles are still affected, but at such low levels the occurrence seems rather outlier ..... I don't have any facts to back that up, I just never see any stories anywhere on these hair loss sites about low DHT hair loss sufferers.

My Thyroid panel was:
TSH 2.29 (range 0.47-4.68)
Free T3 6.67 (range 2.77-5.27)
Free T4 1.0 (range 0.8-2.2)

My cortisol was elevated out of the range. I don't know what my vitamin D levels are. I'm curious as to mold being a possible suspect. This place I've lived in had a previous leak fixed about 9 months ago. I've discovered a new one after some mold formed in the suspected area and god only knows how long that issue has been there.

As for dermatitis, it's interesting you bring that up. I swear, if I don't use a salicylic body wash then my skin is unmanageable. I get what I think is folliculitis a lot on arm and chest hairs. I've also been periodically battling painful acne that forms sometimes on the back of my head.

hare

Reaction score
You mentioned increased body hair in your other thread. That's associated with the same processes that drive male pattern baldness. I too have noticed a massive acceleration in body hair growth in the past half-year. Almost feels like a second puberty. Environmental factors may accelerate hair loss, but I doubt it's usually significant.

Your question about DHT is something I've also been wondering ever since my blood test. I didn't get tested for DHT, but my blood test results suggested "normal androgen status" due to within-range (albeit low) testosterone levels. On the surface it seems somewhat counterintuitive that such accelerations would occur with below-range or normal DHT levels.

Would be great to see some research that has examined DHT levels in the context of male pattern baldness.

Schitz Popinov

Established Member
Reaction score
You mentioned increased body hair in your other thread. That's associated with the same processes that drive male pattern baldness. I too have noticed a massive acceleration in body hair growth in the past half-year. Almost feels like a second puberty. Environmental factors may accelerate hair loss, but I doubt it's usually significant.

The body hair thing is a royal pain in the butt. I can't say enough how much I loathe it and how exhausted I am from the upkeep of self-grooming. As for environmental factors, all I know is I wasn't diffuse thinning before I lived in this house. I moved here about 2.5 years ago. I mean I'd shed a little, but my hair texture wasn't like this. When I first noticed my scalp showing it happened to be the same time there was some weird smell coming from the water in my shower. It was almost like sulfur.

My landlord told me it couldn't be the water heater because it was only two years old so I never explored it. Then wouldn't you know it a few months later a leak started, which led from that shower down into my kitchen. It took forever for him to get the repairs done. Now I've got another one in another location of the house where there is obvious mold on the outside of a wall. I don't even know how long a possible leak has been there.

Your question about DHT is something I've also been wondering ever since my blood test. I didn't get tested for DHT, but my blood test results suggested "normal androgen status" due to within-range (albeit low) testosterone levels. On the surface it seems somewhat counterintuitive that such accelerations would occur with below-range or normal DHT levels.

Would be great to see some research that has examined DHT levels in the context of male pattern baldness.

Ya, it seems entirely counter-intuitive. If I had highly sensitive receptors, I would've seen the reaction at a much younger age. The only reason my free/total testosterone was in the low end of the range is because I work out. If I didn't, I guarantee you I'd be certifiably below the range. I was also curious about my estradiol levels, but those showed up at the lower end of the range as well.

Schitz Popinov

Established Member
Reaction score
what? why? this is just a baseless assumption

Because I'm 34? If I had extra highly sensitive receptors to the point where I'd lose hair on below range DHT and bottom range Testosterone, then it would've started happening into the beginning of adulthood. Why would it just wait until I was 31-32?

This is why I suspect something else has "triggered" my issues.

9tfrizzco

Established Member
Reaction score
Because I'm 34? If I had extra highly sensitive receptors to the point where I'd lose hair on below range DHT and bottom range Testosterone, then it would've started happening into the beginning of adulthood. Why would it just wait until I was 31-32?

This is why I suspect something else has "triggered" my issues.
....because your receptors got more sensitive as you got older/your dht levels increased/a combination of both?

somebody with high dht levels could ask the same sort of question- 'why didn't my high dht levels make me go bald years ago?' essentially what you're saying is that dht only causes baldness in very young men. which isn't true.

Helel

Established Member
Reaction score
Wait what? Can someone explain the body hair thing? I have a lot of body hair.