What I learn about Hair transplant in Korea

Keystone

Reaction score
Hey guys thought I'd share what I learnt when I went over to Korea. I consulted several clinics looking for the right hair transplant surgeon because Korea is number 1 in the world for cosmetic procedures.

First of I just want to say I have been on finesteride for over 2 years. Then something happened. I went through a tellogen shed despite being on finesteride. It was crazy. I would count the hairs on the ground, losing nearly a 100. I know people say 50-100 is normal but seriously, its not normal for me. It has never happened before and I started noticing more and more bald spots. So I flew down to Korea to get tested to figure out what happened.

As it turns out, I have been doubling my zinc dosage which increases DHT and the finesteride wasn't blocking off enough DHT. Yup I messed up my own hair thinking more zinc would be better for me.

I went through a company to guide me throughout the consultations at different hospitals because I don't speak Korean. Went to 5 clinics, some only do FUE and swear blue about how FUE is better and the survival of new hair depends on surgeon's skill. FUE costs a bomb more than FUE. Then my guide took me to a clinic where the surgeon speaks fluent english. It was great because I feel much better being able to communicate directly with the surgeon.

FUT, as he explains is much better because you have total visiblity in FUT and can see where the roots are because FUE is like a punch biopsy and you cannot tell how the roots grow which is not usually straight. And FUE if you take too much out those little white dots become obvious. FUT if you are a white dude it don't matter too much because the scar is really faint when the surgeon has capable hands. Plus he could use body hair to implant onto the fut scar if you are paranoid. Problem for me is I am asian so I don't have much body hair haha. But unlike most asians I don't scar badly so I don't feel its too much of an issue.

My surgery is more preventative so he will graft 4500-6000 grafts all over. Price was cheaper than other clinics too. This one clinic called Yonsei in the Gangnam area tried to charge me 13 000 USD???! WTF. I got charged half that after my guide bargained for me at the other clinic. I really don't see how prices should be more than what you pay in the US.

One more thing fellas, I asked about donor hair and artificial hair. Unforuntately you can only use donor hair if you have an identical twin or you steal someone's bone marrow ROFL. Artificial hair will give you an infection so for now it seems we are stuck with just using our own hair.

I haven't gotten the surgery yet but will in December if I can get time off work. Damn I wish I was hairier so I could use body hair haha. Hope this helps some of you who are looking into hair transplant.

I'm also not gonna continue the finesteride because I suffered libido loss. Its slowly coming back after being off the drug for 2 months. I read some people don't get their libido back to its fullest extent so that leaves me a bit worried. I believe those of us who suffered libido loss is much higher than the medication claims, 2-3 percent or something? Still waiting for that morning wood to happen can get depressing

MrDepressed

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey interesting, what was the city you went to for surgery? Did you get good results? I'd like to hear more